SSM Greyhounds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think we make a splash at the deadline for an elite forward. Byfield is certainly part of a group of players that I think we would consider if he is back. As far as return goes, I would think you would look at something like the Robert Thomas deal. It would be big.

Reactions: hockeynorth

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
and addition like byfield or robertson won't come cheap. but if we look like a legit threat it's what you have to do to win.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
How much does everyone think we will pay this year? With 4 x 2nds and 4 x 3rds to play with, I was thinking that we might spend something like 3 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds plus a great young prospect player. I feel like that should be close to the price for an elite forward and a good OA.

But now I am wondering if we spend more, as we will likely have many good players returning that we can use to recoup picks with. We don't have the usual number of graduating players - other than our OAs we have just Pytlik plus whoever we acquire at the deadline not returning for 2021-2022. O'Rourke probably gets an extended look somewhere, but there is good chance he is returned.

With all of these returning assets, we either make shrewd moves to set up a 2 year window, or we can afford to spend the farm this deadline knowing we have ample assets to recover it in the off season. Does anyone else think we spend 4 x 2nds & 4 x 3rds + ?

Reactions: shot caller

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I guess it depends on the market. You hear "buyers" or "sellers" market every year... It would be nice to come out on the right side of that while still adding the best player available. When you see a guy like Robert Thomas literally steal a cup from under your nose it really drives home the importance of winning the arms race.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
I guess it depends on the market. You hear "buyers" or "sellers" market every year... It would be nice to come out on the right side of that while still adding the best player available. When you see a guy like Robert Thomas literally steal a cup from under your nose it really drives home the importance of winning the arms race.
I still like the days back when we won in 1993. You have a real good team and just tinker a bit. That year we only added one defenceman, Wade Gibson and one forward, Chad Penney. Key was welcoming back OA goalie Kevin Hodson mid season. Hamilton added 8 or 9 top players the year they beat us in the finals. They did not resemble the team they started with in September. I am not really sure that's the idea when all this began. Is that how you want to showcase your league as a choice compared to the NCAA? Who wants to go where multiple trades are happening? I do not think this was ever the spirit of the league.
We should reduce the number of cards to the 27 range from 30. Force GM's to draft, develop and trade wisely.

Reactions: Bear54

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
How much does everyone think we will pay this year? With 4 x 2nds and 4 x 3rds to play with, I was thinking that we might spend something like 3 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds plus a great young prospect player. I feel like that should be close to the price for an elite forward and a good OA.

But now I am wondering if we spend more, as we will likely have many good players returning that we can use to recoup picks with. We don't have the usual number of graduating players - other than our OAs we have just Pytlik plus whoever we acquire at the deadline not returning for 2021-2022. O'Rourke probably gets an extended look somewhere, but there is good chance he is returned.

With all of these returning assets, we either make shrewd moves to set up a 2 year window, or we can afford to spend the farm this deadline knowing we have ample assets to recover it in the off season. Does anyone else think we spend 4 x 2nds & 4 x 3rds + ?

I think a big factor that will play into how much the team makes a splash will depend if we're playing host to the cup or not. While it could be argued that regardless if it's us or Oshawa our team itself is still an elite team next season, playing host to the Memorial Cup may make Raftis make that extra trade or two to really try and solidify our chances.

Reactions: shot caller

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I wonder if/when/what the city and Hounds would do to the arena to bring it up to Memorial Cup bid status? I remember Tim Lukenda saying he’d do whatever it took. Would that mean adding more seats or boxes? If that’s the case is there even enough time to do that now with the pandemic holding everything back?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't think they are adding more seats or boxes. They had the city do a study on it but the best the city could do was convert a board room and a few offices into a viewing gallery to fit a few more bums in. I think other than the new scoreboard, the rink goes "as is".

However, I have to think it's enough to meet their minimum requirement. As I understand it, some of the "smaller market" teams were encouraged to submit a bid this year. Why would you encourage a bid if the rink doesn't meet a minimum requirement? We just have to make sure the rest of the bid package is enough to make up for the lack of seating.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I don't think they are adding more seats or boxes. They had the city do a study on it but the best the city could do was convert a board room and a few offices into a viewing gallery to fit a few more bums in. I think other than the new scoreboard, the rink goes "as is".

However, I have to think it's enough to meet their minimum requirement. As I understand it, some of the "smaller market" teams were encouraged to submit a bid this year. Why would you encourage a bid if the rink doesn't meet a minimum requirement? We just have to make sure the rest of the bid package is enough to make up for the lack of seating.

I attended the 2012 Memorial Cup in Shawinigan and it's a great arena with an unforgettable atmosphere, but offers nothing more than our Memorial Gardens. It's the city itself that has to make some changes. People will need an easier way to get to restaurants and hotels on the Great Northern corridor and parking will have to be improved.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Final Central Scouting Ranking

North American Skaters
27 O'Rourke, Ryan
46 Pytlik, Jaromir
67 Dickinson, Tanner
72 Kerins, Rory
78 Calisti, Robert
192 Kartye, Tye

North American Goalies
10 Malik, Nick

Note: Calisti is the highest ranked re-entry on the North American Skaters list. Congrats Robbie!

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindSooNet

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Final Central Scouting Ranking

North American Skaters
27 O'Rourke, Ryan
46 Pytlik, Jaromir
67 Dickinson, Tanner
72 Kerins, Rory
78 Calisti, Robert
192 Kartye, Tye

North American Goalies
10 Malik, Nick

Note: Calisti is the highest ranked re-entry on the North American Skaters list. Congrats Robbie!

I think there's still a chance that Billy Constantinou gets drafted as well. You look at guys like Lleyton Moore getting ranked and I'd rather take a shot on Billy C as a re-entry. Same kind of player and potential, but one has reached it and the other has not.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think there's still a chance that Billy Constantinou gets drafted as well. You look at guys like Lleyton Moore getting ranked and I'd rather take a shot on Billy C as a re-entry. Same kind of player and potential, but one has reached it and the other has not.

I doubt many consider the two D to have the same potential. Moore was a 1st pick in what was considered a loaded OHL draft and Constantinou was a 2nd pick in what was considered one of the weakest drafts for Ontario. Moore may also get a bit of a reprieve for missing about half of his rookie season with a broken foot.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I doubt many consider the two D to have the same potential. Moore was a 1st pick in what was considered a loaded OHL draft and Constantinou was a 2nd pick in what was considered one of the weakest drafts for Ontario. Moore may also get a bit of a reprieve for missing about half of his rookie season with a broken foot.

I guess we can write off guys like Kerins and Dickinson too. I didn't realize that NHL teams valued OHL draft position over results and talent.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Billy played top pairing minutes for us this year, and did a great job. The defensive side of the game was much improved, as was his decision making - two of the biggest knocks on his game last year leading into the draft. His offensive production also took big strides this year. I guess the point is that after being overlooked last year, Billy has really put in the work and addressed every aspect of his game that was questioned. I think there is a good chance that someone takes a flier on him in a late round.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I guess we can write off guys like Kerins and Dickinson too. I didn't realize that NHL teams valued OHL draft position over results and talent.

It was you that stated two individual D were same player, same potential. I doubted it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Billy played top pairing minutes for us this year, and did a great job. The defensive side of the game was much improved, as was his decision making - two of the biggest knocks on his game last year leading into the draft. His offensive production also took big strides this year. I guess the point is that after being overlooked last year, Billy has really put in the work and addressed every aspect of his game that was questioned. I think there is a good chance that someone takes a flier on him in a late round.

someone may take a flier on Constantinou. That dies not make him the same player, same potential as Moore. I happen to doubt many outside of SSM have ever considered Constantinou having as much potential as Moore.
(I think) both will be pretty good OAs and do well in Usports. But I do not consider them as the same.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
From what I have seen of Moore, he is a great skater and passer, very similar to Constantinou in that regard. The former is unwilling to engage physically and often gets caught too deep in the offensive end. Both players have an average shot. If either makes the NHL, it will be on the strength of their mobility and passing ability.

As hockeypops said, Billy addressed a lot of his defensive issues and really shined in the offensive end. Being top 10 in defense points as an 18 year old is going to get a player noticed.

Other recent players to accomplish the same feat are Thomas Harley, Ryan Merkley, Bode Wilde, Tyler Tucker, Adam Boqvist, Evan Bouchard, and Conor Timmins. That's some impressive company.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Let's have some fun. I am wondering which OA would Greyhounds fans choose to add to this lineup from the whole league for next season? Rules are you can pick any 2000 born in the league this year, other than imports and signed players. Even if you don't think the team will trade the player you can pick them.

If it's helpful you can refer to Overagers 2020-2021

I have been assuming for a while now that our OA addition would be a defenseman. Our backend was shaky for most of this season, and we traded away Wale at the deadline to make it even less deep. But recently I have been wondering more and more if Raftis keeps the group we have. They have shown flashes of what they are capable of, and most of them have a much higher ceiling than where they are currently (read: lots more room to continue to improve). Another season with this group ( + Toms ) might very well have them right where Raftis wants them.

What this team desperately needs is a couple of top tier scorers. It seems to me most championship teams have a couple of players at > 1.45 points per game, with at least four others at around 1.0 points per game. I look at this roster as having no trouble finding 6+ players that will score at around 1.0 points per game or higher, but I am not sure any will flirt with 1.5 points per game.

My choice for an OA addition is Pavel Gogolev. He ticks all the boxes for me and plays a style that should allow him to step right into our lineup. He also has the championship pedigree that few OA candidates will have, as there were no playoffs this year.

What does everyone else think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad