SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
We dont want to jeopardize a good opportunity next season. If malik reports I wonder if we keep taylor and malik and look to deal propp?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We dont want to jeopardize a good opportunity next season. If malik reports I wonder if we keep taylor and malik and look to deal propp?

I don't know if I like a tandem with 22 career games on a team that has a really good shot to win the division this season. It would be different if we didn't already have Propp but I think he's primed for a really good season.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I personally see Coulter Taylor being a future goalie..

With that being said there's always that chance Nick is going to Muskegon. Why would you do that.... But there is that chance

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I don't know if I like a tandem with 22 career games on a team that has a really good shot to win the division this season. It would be different if we didn't already have Propp but I think he's primed for a really good season.

Malik is number one if he comes hands down

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Malik is number one if he comes hands down

I see him splitting time with Propp to begin with if he comes here and we move Taylor. If he outplays Propp then he gets more time.

It's really the perfect situation with a young goalie getting his feet wet and the OA moving on after the season. Then you can sign a guy like Coulter Taylor next season.

Reactions: soo hound girl

Gohoundsgo

Oct 28, 2017
I see him splitting time with Propp to begin with if he comes here and we move Taylor. If he outplays Propp then he gets more time.

It's really the perfect situation with a young goalie getting his feet wet and the OA moving on after the season. Then you can sign a guy like Coulter Taylor next season.
I heard that propp would be expected to handle most of the load as Malik would likely be gone a fair bit for showcase tournaments, world juniors, etc.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Pucksindeep94

Jan 21, 2019
I personally see Coulter Taylor being a future goalie..

With that being said there's always that chance Nick is going to Muskegon. Why would you do that.... But there is that chance
Interesting to note his brother made his debut with Muskegon tonight.

Edit: Nick Malik is listed in Muskegons preseason roster

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92 and PuckLife

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hoping we wolves can get a game report. Much appreciated.

Sudbury played an extremely physical game from the get go. It got them into trouble both in the form of penalties and missed assignments for the first 30-40 minutes where the Greyhounds definitely got the better chances. The chances evened out in the third and Propp completely imploded while Purboo was superb for the entire game.

Byfield is a real force out there. The Wolves would consistently be in their own end for long stretches when he left the ice and the tables would turn when he came back on. He's in for one heck of a season.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Missing Peca and MacKay really showed in a game like today. Very physical game and there wasn’t much accountability with some bad hits. O’Rourke is the only guy stepping in. Same story every year though for physicality.

Seems like the boys were ready for the preseason to be over. Very sloppy for the most part. Guys need to work on offensive zone entry and getting in the neutral zone passing lanes.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
That’s how you look when it only your third game. Sloppy and unorganized. Complaining about the new season tickets. You have to bring the entire ticket not just the perforated stub with the bar code. Makes no sense. What idiot made this decision.

Reactions: count35

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I totally agree about the tickets. They’re great to look at but a pain in the butt to bring with you if you want to keep them flat.

newhound777

Apr 10, 2019
Missing Peca and MacKay really showed in a game like today. Very physical game and there wasn’t much accountability with some bad hits. O’Rourke is the only guy stepping in. Same story every year though for physicality.

Seems like the boys were ready for the preseason to be over. Very sloppy for the most part. Guys need to work on offensive zone entry and getting in the neutral zone passing lanes.

No doubt Peca has shown to be physical along with O'Rourke and probably Johnson fits in this category. Not so much for others. I agree that at times the game was sloppy, definitely both teams, but the three breakaways in the first two periods should have changed the entire game. 4-1 becomes much closer for us. 6-1 final but the last two goals were against a battery of rookies. As for bad hits, how does the league allow for blatant hits from behind or charging? We definitely need an enforcer for games like today. All in all, I'm not worried just yet.

Reactions: Marj44

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
No doubt Peca has shown to be physical along with O'Rourke and probably Johnson fits in this category. Not so much for others. I agree that at times the game was sloppy, definitely both teams, but the three breakaways in the first two periods should have changed the entire game. 4-1 becomes much closer for us. 6-1 final but the last two goals were against a battery of rookies. As for bad hits, how does the league allow for blatant hits from behind or charging? We definitely need an enforcer for games like today. All in all, I'm not worried just yet.

I agree with Johnston and thought McLean actually held up pretty well in the physical department. MacKay might not be the most physical but his relentlessness and tenacity elevates those around him that have the ability to be physical (ie Joe Carroll).
As for the hits it’s a little expected in the exhibition with new officials, first time referees, etc. Doesn’t make it okay but I’m glad the team took the high road.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I few more players' performances I have been mulling over from yesterday's game:
- Ryan O'Rourke was the best Greyhounds player. Jumped up on the rush numerous times and scored a goal along with many other chances. Mixed things up throughout the game with the physical Sudbury forwards and held his own in every encounter.
- Brett Jacklin mishandled a number of gentle passes that should have been right on his tape. He is never going to be the most skilled guy out there but he needs to find a way to make those easy plays or he might be on the outside of this roster.
- Matt Halushak is solid on the blue line. He is a big body and while I didn't see any big hits from him, he uses his size well to remove forwards from in front of the net or win puck battle in the corner. Nice first pass too from what I see.
Did CJ Clarke make your team?
CJ Clarke is still on the team, but it still feels like an extended tryout for him. He was digging for some pucks in the corners yesterday, but failed to really generate much offense from his efforts.

Reactions: Marj44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad