SSM Greyhounds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i don't see where i blamed raftis for our lack up cups? he's only to blame if we don't win one in the next 2 seasons. ;)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
...for a 16 year old first rounder.

From all indications, nobody was offering up their 16 year old first rounder in a fair exchange for Frost. Don't believe "fear" was a factor.

why did it have to be frost? as far as i'm concerned all of our vets should have been on the table including hayton. we could have dealt a player or two and still made the 2nd round.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
i'm fine with agreeing to disagreeing. the difference between us and london is they've won a championship in the last 25 years. ;) multiple in fact.

it's in part because when they obviously aren't going to win, they aren't afraid to deal a guy like Robert Thomas and take a hit in the standings.
Players need to waive their no trade clauses to be dealt. I understood all the players felt we could win and wanted to stay thus Raftis wanted to add. Remember to move or acquire a player you need a trade partner and most players need to agree to move, on both sides of a deal. Raftis could have wanted to make many deals, but these factors could have prevented them from happening last year. He is smart and explores all the options. But sometimes what you want to do cannot be done.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Good point DWID, at the time there was no indication that Attack brass short-shafted the Hounds in any way or vice-versa shape or form, more that whatever deal that was in place between our to supported clubs involved a player(s) who chose not to get moved. I think we the fans tend to forget that these are young-men we're talking about and that even though we may overhear or form an opinion that every deal we may think maybe made should be that is not always the case.

I don't know exactly what was said at the time, but Greyhounds management was absolutely furious at the time of the incident and they remain upset to this day. Anyone who has talked to a Greyhounds employee can attest to that

One issue during the trade negotiations was the forced inclusion of Sean Durzi, who was not an obvious upgrade on the Greyhounds OA situation.

Was that part of the issue? I have no idea. I just know that something changed on the Owen Sound side after the deal had been agreed to. Don't expect these two teams to make trades any time soon.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'm not sure what our guys are doing or saying, but Owen Sound's discipline is non existent. Perrott can't just punch a guy in the face when they are already shorthanded.

Edit 1: Perrott again with a totally uncalled for kneeing penalty. He and Brady Lyle are just looking to hurt people, no blaming the refs for this game.

Edit 2: Now MacKay hit from behind away from the puck. I hope no one gets hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houndzfan

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Re: The announcement made in the 3rd period after a Soo player was (unjustly) penalized, the OHL Rule Book, Section 63.4 reads as follows:

"In the event that objects are thrown on the ice that interfere with the progress of the game, the Referee shall blow the whistle and stop the play and the puck shall be faced-off at a face-off spot in the zone nearest to the spot where play is stopped. When objects are thrown on the ice during a stoppage in play, including after the scoring of a goal, the Referee shall have announced over the public address system that any further occurrences will result in a bench minor penalty being assessed to the home Team."

One of my seatmates posed an interesting question: What if an Owen Sound fan in the crowd, after hearing the announcement, decided to chuck something on the ice? The referees obviously couldn't investigate the matter. Does anybody out there have any knowledge of this rule ever having been enforced?

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
pretty greasy game by owen sound. they took a lot of dumb penalties and we made them pay.

tenacious 5v5, strong PP, strong PK, strong goaltending. well done.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We're now 9-3 with Bailey Brkin, who sports a fairly solid .894 save percentage. He's actually faced more shots per game than our other goaltenders, who sport an .854 save percentage.

Kyle Raftis was on during intermission and spoke of how troubling it was to see the team leading the league in goals, but still struggling because of goaltending. He praised Propp, but said he just wasn't a fit here.

Now we're really seeing what this confident team can do. Both our offense and defense are elite when it comes to scoring goals and limiting shots against. Now with that third aspect of the game solidified with Brkin, I am very excited to see this team going forward.

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Worked our way back to .500 hockey. Keep up the good work Hounds.

Lots of hockey to be played. Teams will start to shape out their rosters in the next month (10 games) and looking forward to see where we fit in the West.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Imo raftis is doing a great job. We've been really lucky to have a guy like him to carry on from dubas. Hes kept us in or around 1st for the last bunch of years. I was all for selling last year too but if you're not getting fair value or a last minute trade didnt work out, oh well. We draft well, we are staring to get some second rounders back now, and they're fun to watch. Maybe get a decently high draft pick this year and we will be fine in the next year or two.

Reactions: jjhound

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't know exactly what was said at the time, but Greyhounds management was absolutely furious at the time of the incident and they remain upset to this day. Anyone who has talked to a Greyhounds employee can attest to that

One issue during the trade negotiations was the forced inclusion of Sean Durzi, who was not an obvious upgrade on the Greyhounds OA situation.

Was that part of the issue? I have no idea. I just know that something changed on the Owen Sound side after the deal had been agreed to. Don't expect these two teams to make trades any time soon.

Suzuki did say he was not going anywhere without Durzi. OS wanted to trade both so ...

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Suzuki did say he was not going anywhere without Durzi. OS wanted to trade both so ...

It's likely that Owen Sound would swap Durzi for Sambrook and then deal him for a similar price, but that's just speculation on my part. It also could be the case that they were being dealt individually, despite Suzuki's comments.

All I really know is that they were upset at something that Owen Sound did after the trade had been agreed to and nearly completed. They even had a press conference scheduled.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Flint is really struggling lately, giving up more than 5 goals per game over their last 12. Tomorrow is big because we can pull within 2 points and perhaps pass them before the new year. That would be a nice accomplishment for this team.

Reactions: Houndsfan22

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Our skaters and Brkin need to be more focused to start and end periods. Those mistakes may have cost us the game.

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Terrible game. Couldn’t make a decent pass all game. Seems like every year after the team Christmas party we lay an egg.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Here's my question of the day. Does the coyotes acquisition of Taylor Hall make it more likely we see Hayton in the OHL?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Here's my question of the day. Does the coyotes acquisition of Taylor Hall make it more likely we see Hayton in the OHL?

I'd imagine so, they picked up two more NHL ready forwards. Hall will be topline and Speers is already accustomed to the pro game. While it still isn't a sure thing, it definitely increased the odds of Hayton returning.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think Hayton will be returning to the OHL and heading home to Peterbourogh

I wouldn't count out London or Ottawa. Matier would be an attractive piece to put on the right side with Constantinou and Holmes and Rolofs is also a very interesting prospect. Both of those teams have the 4 or 5 second round picks that would be required in addition to the first rounder.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
I heard Hayton does not want to get returned to the OHL and does not want to come back to the Soo if he gets returned he will lift his no trade clause

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I wouldn't count out London or Ottawa. Matier would be an attractive piece to put on the right side with Constantinou and Holmes and Rolofs is also a very interesting prospect. Both of those teams have the 4 or 5 second round picks that would be required in addition to the first rounder.
Hayton may be worth that much but I don't see any of the potential contenders this year wanting to put all their eggs in 1 basket so to speak. Most need more than 1 upgrade to their team so will likely want 2 or 3 lessor players to fit their bill. I could see a 1st round pick and 3 seconds as a likely deal.

Reactions: count35
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad