GDT: Springfield Flames @ Cape Fear Kings, 8:00PM on SNET-W and the Fan 960

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Except for the fact that only 50-60 players break 60 pts every year. Which Tangs has done or been on pace for the last two years. Jesus, I guess only ppg players who never have meh games are first liners eh

They also get every opportunity to play and tons off PP minutes. Compare them to other players in the league getting that many minutes and they are not that great.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
They also get every opportunity to play and tons off PP minutes. Compare them to other players in the league getting that many minutes and they are not that great.

You mean to other first liners? That produce basically the same as them, not including the elite. They are both first liners. May not be upper echelon but they're there. Stats don't lie.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think I am reading that quote different than others.

I would focus on the "not tearing i down part" but would also emphasize the "understanding they have certain contractual issues"

This tells me that players have contracts that are ending could be moved, and maybe others to help the Flames get under the cap for next season. So I wouldn't be shocked to see 1 or 2 guys traded, or 3 if they are lesser salaries.

It's probably more disastrous if you combine the two. Not going to tear it down but will move some expiring contracts or longterm burdensome deals?

So essentially, instead of acquiring picks and prospects, we can expect 'hockey' deals where the Flames net players that can contribute now, and maybe in the future too. Everyone's banking on Iginla for a first and futures, but maybe it's Iginla for Stalberg and Frolik. Or Bouwmeester and a 2nd for Filppula and Quincey. Those are in the same vein as Regehr for Butler, Morrison for Connolly, White for Babchuk and Kostopolous, Jokinen and Prust for Kotalik and Higgens, etc.

There's a very good chance that Feaster and King set the franchise back a good half a decade or so in the next month with these kind of 'hockey' deals.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
You mean to other first liners? That produce basically the same as them, not including the elite. They are both first liners. May not be upper echelon but they're there. Stats don't lie.

They are there but they are starting to be borderline. They are either average 1st liners or really good 2nd liners. But what it boils down to is our core is not good enough to win. And really hasn't been for a couple years.

Also stats may not lie but it seems like Iggy and Tanguay get a lot of points off of below average teams. When playing better teams they are out matched quite often.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
It's probably more disastrous if you combine the two. Not going to tear it down but will move some expiring contracts or longterm burdensome deals?

So essentially, instead of acquiring picks and prospects, we can expect 'hockey' deals where the Flames net players that can contribute now, and maybe in the future too. Everyone's banking on Iginla for a first and futures, but maybe it's Iginla for Stalberg and Frolik. Or Bouwmeester and a 2nd for Filppula and Quincey. Those are in the same vein as Regehr for Butler, Morrison for Connolly, White for Babchuk and Kostopolous, Jokinen and Prust for Kotalik and Higgens, etc.

There's a very good chance that Feaster and King set the franchise back a good half a decade or so in the next month with these kind of 'hockey' deals.

Man you just scared the **** out of me!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
They are there but they are starting to be borderline. They are either average 1st liners or really good 2nd liners. But what it boils down to is our core is not good enough to win. And really hasn't been for a couple years.

Also stats may not lie but it seems like Iggy and Tanguay get a lot of points off of below average teams. When playing better teams they are out matched quite often.

I could give two ***** about the core not being good enough. You said Iggy, a bonfide 30g scorer and Tanguay, a 60-70 pt winger weren't first liners.. Good job trying to back track though, because they are..

And gimme some stats, lets see.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

If we end up with more trades in the vein if the Regehr trade I very well may need a shrink to help me go day to day.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I could give two ***** about the core not being good enough. You said Iggy, a bonfide 30g scorer and Tanguay, a 60-70 pt winger weren't first liners.. Good job trying to back track though, because they are..

And gimme some stats, lets see.

So we have a core that not good but they are 1st line players, makes no sense to me but ok. I am not trying to back track I still believe they are no longer 1st line talent.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
Crazy busy with school, missed the game. Looks like I probably got more enjoyment out of the schoolwork, anyway.

I'm not supporting a scorched Earth lose on purpose for 5 years rebuild, but we need some roster turnover desperately here. Too bad we'll never see it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
So we have a core that not good but they are 1st line players, makes no sense to me but ok. I am not trying to back track I still believe they are no longer 1st line talent.

Than you are wrong. I have already proved, compared to every other player in te league, they are.

Also for your "racking up points on weak teams theory". Iginla scored 11 of his 19 points against top 8 teams, while Tanguay scored 10 of his 19 against top 8. The #9 and 10 teams are PHX and DAL, which aren't exactly terrible. Iggy racked 4 pts against them while tangs racked 5. Against the really bad teams (CBJ, COL, EDM)? Both Iginla and Tangs managed to rack up a huge 4 points apiece.. Pretty much shoots that theory to ****.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Than you are wrong. I have already proved, compared to every other player in te league, they are.

Also for your "racking up points on weak teams theory". Iginla scored 11 of his 19 points against top 8 teams, while Tanguay scored 10 of his 19 against top 8. The #9 and 10 teams are PHX and DAL, which aren't exactly terrible. Iggy racked 4 pts against them while tangs racked 5. Against the really bad teams (CBJ, COL, EDM)? Both Iginla and Tangs managed to rack up a huge 4 points apiece.. Pretty much shoots that theory to ****.

Iggy has also been held pointless in 13 games this season, not really being a reliable 1st liner in my mind. Also hard to distinguish who really is a good team this year but this back to back home stand in LA they were very bad in my mind.

Its hard to do but where were points scored. Were they when the game was pretty much out of grasp, on an empty net goal and so on. I know the phoneix game they were great with the Iggy tying goal and glencross winning it but they are not clutch either. Something you need from a 1st liner.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Iggy has also been held pointless in 13 games this season, not really being a reliable 1st liner in my mind. Also hard to distinguish who really is a good team this year but this back to back home stand in LA they were very bad in my mind.

Iginla's a notorious slow starter, matter of fact, so is kipper but you wouldn't call him a borderline starter would you? Like I said, stats don't lie. He's there, so is Tanguay. Every play has off games or cold streaks.

So now all first liners need to be extremely clutch? So lets see your thoughts on an ideal 1st liner, has to obviously be either a high 30s+ goal scorer, 70+pt getter, NOT play a lot of minutes in every situation, and has to be very clutch and score a ton of gtg and gwg. Right.

Last edited:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Iginla's a notorious slow starter, matter of fact, so is kipper but you wouldn't call him a borderline starter would you? Like I said, stats don't lie. He's there, so is Tanguay. Every play has off games or cold streaks.

So why are we at the bottom of the conference? Your saying its not our first line, but a big part of it is. Slow start or not they don't come up when it really matters.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
So why are we at the bottom of the conference? Your saying its not our first line, but a big part of it is. Slow start or not they don't come up when it really matters.

Our first liners are playing adequate. Producing like first liners. Because they are first liners. We're last place because we have terrible team defense and subpar goaltending.

My point never was that our 1st line is great or doing awesome. It was/is that Tanguay and Iginla are 1st liners. Reading is your friend, try it sometime.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Our first liners are playing adequate. Producing like first liners. Because they are first liners. We're last place because we have terrible team defense and subpar goaltending.

My point never was that our 1st line is great or doing awesome. It was/is that Tanguay and Iginla are 1st liners. Reading is your friend, try it sometime.

Ok to make you happy they are first liners. They produce like first liners but don't get the job done like first liners. Subpar goaltenging? Hmmm makes your think that maybe Kipper made this team better then they are the last few years. Our so called "core" has been the problem!!!!!!!!!

But they are producing so it doesn't matter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You really need to look into some medical help with your delusions. Feaster has never given anyone any reason to think he would pull of those kinds of trades.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we end up with more trades in the vein if the Regehr trade I very well may need a shrink to help me go day to day.
the Regehr trade was good, we dumped that anchor before he got as bad as he is now. He is no better than Butler and the Flames got out of cap jail.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
So now all first liners need to be extremely clutch? So lets see your thoughts on an ideal 1st liner, has to obviously be either a high 30s+ goal scorer, 70+pt getter, NOT play a lot of minutes in every situation, and has to be very clutch and score a ton of gtg and gwg. Right.

Didn't say they should be clutch while playing low minutes, our 1st line is not clutch while playing lots of minutes. They pulled out a win in one game this year while being clutch. Thats 1!!!! plan the ****ing parade!!!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You really need to look into some medical help with your delusions. Feaster has never given anyone any reason to think he would pull of those kinds of trades.

Feaster won't make 'hockey' trades when he strongly implies to anyone who's not wholly brain dead that that's all he's going to do? Particularly when you consider his trade history as GM of the Flames, if you're capable of doing so, and see that the vast majority of his transactions are 'hockey' deals?

Or are you just thick enough to think the two trade 'proposals' that I posted were serious predictions on what I thought might actually happen and not just exaggerated indications of what the Flames might do?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Feaster won't make 'hockey' trades when he strongly implies to anyone who's not wholly brain dead that that's all he's going to do? Particularly when you consider his trade history as GM of the Flames, if you're capable of doing so, and see that the vast majority of his transactions are 'hockey' deals?

Or are you just thick enough to think the two trade 'proposals' that I posted were serious predictions on what I thought might actually happen and not just exaggerated indications of what the Flames might do?
considering all you ever say is blown out of proportion end of the world type posts how would anyone know any different?

Gary83*

I must truly be desensitized. I can say that loss didn't bother me, whereas I turned off Saturday's game before the third. I guess you look at the silver lining in that every loss is essentially a better player we should get in the draft.

Will be curious to see what this team plans to do if they're still in the bottom of the west come trade deadline time.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
After this roadtrip I hope the team is hopelessly dead last at the deadline so that no excuses can be made by ownership or management. It's been the same depressing old story for at least 3 years and the team just sucks. Time to move on. What the hell is anyone going to accomplish by clinging to what we have now? I hope we lose every game so that fans stop coming to games. That might be the only way this team can start over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad