GDT: Springfield Flames @ Cape Fear Kings, 8:00PM on SNET-W and the Fan 960

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
However with that said, if Iginla wants to stay here, he best be comfortable giving up his C and focus on playing on the second line.

If Iginla were to give up the C, who would you suggest giving to? I ask because I see nobody else on this team right now that would be a better choice to get it.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Your kidding me right, arguably our most disappointing player this year?

I'd argue it would give him a good kick in the rear. He was only terrible in the first few games, so I can imagine he's going to bounce back. He also has the best leader skillset out of the current team minus iginla.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The idea of stripping Iginla of his captaincy and then keeping him around only to have one of Giordano, Tanguay or Cammalleri take over is asinine.

Truly...what a hysterical idea.

Even thinking about Tanguay as a Captain makes me want to throw up.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The idea of stripping Iginla of his captaincy and then keeping him around only to have one of Giordano, Tanguay or Cammalleri take over is asinine.

Truly...what a hysterical idea.

Even thinking about Tanguay as a Captain makes me want to throw up.

Why is it so asinine?

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
We don't have a single player in our lineup who right now are suitable to take over a captain's role. If Iggy is dealt we should put A's on Tanguay, Cammalleri and Glencross.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Give it to Brodie. Although the pressure might get to him. He is easily the nicest surprise of the year. Him and Stajan.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Why is it so asinine?

If you want a Culture change...trade him. Don't taint his tenure as a Flame by stripping him of his captaincy, demoting him to a second line position, and rewarding an underachieving and quite honestly worse player in Giordano/Cammalleri/Tanguay.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd be okay with Tanguay as captain, provided Iginla was traded. But keeping Iginla around while removing the captaincy is indeed asinine. It's just not going to happen, nor would it change anything, but would instead create a mess of a locker room atmosphere.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The only player we currently have that has the personal traits to lead this team on and off the ice is Lance Bouma in my opinion. With that said you don't want a career fourth liner becoming your captain.

In short, nobody deserves that distinction as it stands now.

If I absolutely had to pick one I suppose it would still have to be Mark Giordano.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Why does it have to "stripping" the C? Like the C is being ripped off his jersey and stomped on the ground while the whole city laughs at him. Man he's professional if the team decides they want a new leader, thems the breaks. Lots of teams have done that.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, but wow guys, relax. We're last place in the West, we need a culture change. We've NEEDED a massive change for 3+ years.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why does it have to "stripping" the C? Like the C is being ripped off his jersey and stomped on the ground while the whole city laughs at him. Man he's professional if the team decides they want a new leader, thems the breaks. Lots of teams have done that.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, but wow guys, relax. We're last place in the West, we need a culture change. We've NEEDED a massive change for 3+ years.

You're implying Iginla is either the source or a source of the culture of the Flames. How do you expect that culture to change by keeping him around but removing an almost entirely symbolic facet of his presence?

Iginla's contribution to the Flames culture does not come solely from the 'C' on his jersey, rather from his presence, his legacy and his success. Stripping him of the captaincy won't change any of that.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
You're implying Iginla is either the source or a source of the culture of the Flames. How do you expect that culture to change by keeping him around but removing an almost entirely symbolic facet of his presence?

Iginla's contribution to the Flames culture does not come solely from the 'C' on his jersey, rather from his presence, his legacy and his success. Stripping him of the captaincy won't change any of that.

Might actually take some pressure of him and let him play his game. You never know.

At this point, I'd be willing to try anything.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Might actually take some pressure of him and let him play his game. You never know.

At this point, I'd be willing to try anything.

I think it would add to the pressure. You know how much media scrutiny there would be?? "Iginla, why were you stripped", "how do you feel about it", "why's he still in calgary", "bad leader", etc..

It's Iginlas ****ing team. As long as he's here, he's captain, plain and simple. Even if it wasn't freaking ridiculous and was an option (which it is ridiculous and not an option) there is no coach with enough balls to strip JAROME FREAKIN IGINLA of the C in CALGARY.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Just to clarify, the bottom 14 teams are all in the lottery this year right? What are the odds for each team?

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think it would add to the pressure. You know how much media scrutiny there would be?? "Iginla, why were you stripped", "how do you feel about it", "why's he still in calgary", "bad leader", etc..

It's Iginlas ****ing team. As long as he's here, he's captain, plain and simple. Even if it wasn't freaking ridiculous and was an option (which it is ridiculous and not an option) there is no coach with enough balls to strip JAROME FREAKIN IGINLA of the C in CALGARY.

This sums it up pretty well. We're not even sure if Iginla still wants to be a Flame at the deadline and you people are suggesting taking away the C? What is that going to accomplish? Terrible idea. If you want a new leader why don't you trade Iginla instead of keeping him and taking away his captaincy that he's had and deserves for over a decade? Some people are so attached to Iginla that they'd rather watch the team and Iginla decline with every passing year instead of trading him somewhere where he can finally win a cup that he very well deserves. He's without doubt the best Flame ever and a trade will not ruin his legacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad