Prospect Info: Springfield Falcons Discussion - Coyotes AHL affiliate

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Hill, Mayo and Fischer has all joined the Falcons on ATO's.... Will be in the lineup this weekend. Also... Have a feeling that a couple more player from SPR could be heading to Glendale.

Well, we only have one more game after tonight, so they better call them up soon :)

I'm guessing 1-2 of Cunningham, Szwarz, Shinimin, and/or Thomas (All RFAs) may earn a looksee

Fournier could be worth a call-up, but I'm guessing that's probably unnecessary since he'll probably sign a reasonable contract so that we can see how he does a full season in Springfield.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hache in the last game (he couldn't be worse than Dahlbeck could he?) but I suppose that will have to wait until next season.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
Keep us posted on that, especially Fischer.

Fischer played on on a line with Szwarz and Shinnimin today for his first pro game and he did not look out of place at all. He was also on the PP1 line. He's got an adult body already and he's not afraid to hang out in front of the net. I don't think he will be eligible to play with us next year due to age restrictions but it looks like that's going to be our loss, someone can correct me on that though.

I was also trying to follow Fejes and he wasn't nearly as impressive as Fischer. I know he's only got a handful of games under his belt but nothing at all stood out about him.

Bunting looked good like he has the past few months, one of the few bright spots, he had a goal and an assist. The goal maybe could have been called back for being kicked in but the game was already out of hand and I think the refs just wanted to go home.

Today's game showed glaring problems with the coaching staff. Of the 7 goals given up 4 of them were directly related to poor coaching. There were two massively blown assignments leaving forwards wide open and two turnovers in the slot where we just handed it to the other team right in front of Treutle. He had a rough game but it wasn't all his fault.

I sure hope next year's team isn't quite the dumpster fire that this one is.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Fischer played on on a line with Szwarz and Shinnimin today for his first pro game and he did not look out of place at all. He was also on the PP1 line. He's got an adult body already and he's not afraid to hang out in front of the net. I don't think he will be eligible to play with us next year due to age restrictions but it looks like that's going to be our loss, someone can correct me on that though.

I was also trying to follow Fejes and he wasn't nearly as impressive as Fischer. I know he's only got a handful of games under his belt but nothing at all stood out about him.

Bunting looked good like he has the past few months, one of the few bright spots, he had a goal and an assist. The goal maybe could have been called back for being kicked in but the game was already out of hand and I think the refs just wanted to go home.

Today's game showed glaring problems with the coaching staff. Of the 7 goals given up 4 of them were directly related to poor coaching. There were two massively blown assignments leaving forwards wide open and two turnovers in the slot where we just handed it to the other team right in front of Treutle. He had a rough game but it wasn't all his fault.

I sure hope next year's team isn't quite the dumpster fire that this one is.

Fischer can go to the AHL next year if that's the direction we want him to go, he was drafted out of the USNDP. Next years squad should have Perlini, MacInnis, Garland, Mayo, Wood up there. Dvorak is also someone who could start there as well. Plus players like Letunov, Fischer, and Cliffton who are all eligible as well. That's quite a bit of talent on it's way up.

Good to hear about how our players look, thanks!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Congrats to Fischer and Mayo for recording their first pro points. Both with an assist in another Springfield loss.

I really do hope we can finally do something w/the AHL squad so that they're turned into a winner.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
Thanks for the updates all season long guys. I appreciate it more than you know!

Unfortunately most games ended with nothing positive to report but I'm glad I could chip in where I could. Their final two home games are against Portland so I will defer to Wildcat since he is clearly a much better writer than I.

See you guys next year.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Craig Morgan has let the cat out of the bag so I’ll add some context to it…

http://arizonasports.com/story/629294/coyotes-likely-to-move-ahl-affiliate-to-tucson-next-season/

I’ve been told that IA is in the process of purchasing the Springfield Falcons with the intent of relocating them to Tucson for next season…. This does not mean they will purchase that club, but that they are beyond general talk and are now working on the actual purchase agreement. I’ve been told there are two big issues.

1.) The current owner, Charlie Pompea, may want to retain a portion of ownership because he wants to leave something behind for his kids. His daughter, Sarah Pompea, is currently the President and Governor of the Falcons and Charlie may want to ensure she retains such a title in the sale/move to Tucson.

2.) Making sure that Springfield is not left in the dark without a potential team either in the AHL or ECHL. There is a potential expansion possibility for Springfield in the ECHL There is also been discussion about the possibility of the NY Rangers considering a move from Hartford to Springfield due to ongoing issues – too many to get into at the moment in this thread.

In either case IA and Pompea are looking to solidify those issues first. They will present their plan to the AHL Board of Governors in May for review. Should the sale being approved by the BoG, look for the application for relocation to be approved at the same time or no later than June meetings in Hilton Head, SC.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I feel for the Springfield fans who may be losing their beloved team. I hope the community can replace the AHL squad with a competitive team that will bring in fans in some manner.

With that said, an AHL team in Tucson, I would go maybe once a month to check that team out

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I feel for the Springfield fans who may be losing their beloved team. I hope the community can replace the AHL squad with a competitive team that will bring in fans in some manner.

With that said, an AHL team in Tucson, I would go maybe once a month to check that team out

Exactly my thoughts, sucks for the falcon fans, hopefully they get a replacement team. Good news for the yotes though, both with the having a very close AHL team and also for the sign of this being a long term commitment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, any idea of the purchase price?

Who cares. Remember, our owners have no money and want to move the team

Exactly my thoughts, sucks for the falcon fans, hopefully they get a replacement team. Good news for the yotes though, both with the having a very close AHL team and also for the sign of this being a long term commitment.

Like AL said at the presser, it's going to be a busy off season. Round one looks good to me.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone know who owns all the Roadrunners stuff?

I feel really bad for Springfield. First go round, now this. Coyotes take a dookie on their lawn, then take the team away? Doesn't feel right.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Anyone know who owns all the Roadrunners stuff?

I feel really bad for Springfield. First go round, now this. Coyotes take a dookie on their lawn, then take the team away? Doesn't feel right.

Yes, one might see it as almost "intentional" if they had a conspiratorial mind. Provide crappy personnel to the AHL affiliate a few seasons and then move them since many of the fans aren't as supportive of a cellar dwelling team that the NHL affiliate doesn't care about making competitive (developmental purposes only). Frustrated Springfield fan: "It's not like they'll ever win anything, so who cares if they move. Perhaps the new team will actually be fun to watch."

And for those thinking AHL relocation to Tucson is a good thing; it would definitely be easier to eventually move the NHL team if there is an AHL affiliate nearby. Ownership spokesperson: "We have enjoyed our time here in Arizona, but the fans aren't supportive enough (or there's too much competition with other major sports teams) to make an NHL team economically feasible in the area. We tried it for 20 years, and the support has declined almost every season. With the relocation of the AHL to Tucson, at least a groundswelling of hockey interest will continue to have a presence in Arizona and turn out future elite players."

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Who cares. Remember, our owners have no money and want to move the team

I bloody care. I'll even go further and wonder how they finance the purchase?

Why? Because the franchise itself is heavily leveraged by a LOC from the NHL. It helps to know just how much real money IA has.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Henrik Samuelson sure regressed this year. Bust or can he regain form? I had high hopes of him being power forwardy at the NHL level eventually.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Henrik Samuelson sure regressed this year. Bust or can he regain form? I had high hopes of him being power forwardy at the NHL level eventually.

Didn't he have "season ending" ankle surgery in December? Then he returns to the ice in February.

He was also injured in camp.

Maybe the ankle issue affected performance both pre and post surgery.

2015-16 season is one he probably just wants to forget. Let's see what he looks like in camp this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I bloody care. I'll even go further and wonder how they finance the purchase?

Why? Because the franchise itself is heavily leveraged by a LOC from the NHL. It helps to know just how much real money IA has.

None of our business. Be happy we have a team. We know the team is headed in the right direction, the AHL heading to Tucson and when the arena issue is settled in a few months, it's the fans obligation to support this team.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
When Shinnimin, Reese, and H-Sam went down with long term injuries early in the season, you knew it was going to be rough. When Domingue got called up and Treutle became de facto #1 in his first NA campaign, the season was lost.

Bright spots that Bunting, Carey, and Dauphin had such good developmental years. And props to Treutle for holding together as well as he did for such a weak squad.

Yotes need to invest more in their developmental system at the AHL level. Lot of young talent should be plugging in next year and we need it to be a good developmental environment, as well as a winning culture. AHL playoffs have been far too rare for our affiliates the past decade.

Should be interesting to see if Shinnimin, Carey, or Szwarz get another contract.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Should be interesting to see if Shinnimin, Carey, or Szwarz get another contract.

My guess...
Shinnimin--yes
Szwarz--no
Carey--doubtful. He is no longer a Coyotes prospect (no qualifying offer at the beginning of the season), but I hope the Falcons sign him (so they have one solid scorer that can't be called up). I doubt the Coyotes will sign him. He did quite well this season (43 points in 64 games), so he may end up getting signed by another NHL team (mainly for AHL or call up).

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
None of our business. Be happy we have a team. We know the team is headed in the right direction, the AHL heading to Tucson and when the arena issue is settled in a few months, it's the fans obligation to support this team.

If you want to support what is widely perceived as a house of cards don't act shocked if it comes tumbling down.

Coyotes fans for too long have been treated to ownerships who've been pretenders. So blindingly following IA like lemmings just doesñ't cut it. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical with IA (the foolish hiring of two former Glendale employees which led to the lease being scrapped is a prime example).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad