Prospect Info: Springfield Falcons Discussion - Coyotes AHL affiliate

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Coyotes entered a three year agreement with the Springfield Falcons. When a team changes affiliation, do they transfer all their players to the new team or work around what is in place already?

These are the players under contract for the Falcons (Not Columbus Blue Jacket prospects)..would these players stay?

36 Canada Corey Cowick LW Righty

25 Canada Mathieu Gagnon I LW Lefty

11 United States Mike Hoeffel LW Lefty

3 Canada Hubert Labrie D Lefty

40 Canada Domenic Monardo RW Righty

33 Canada Scott Munroe G Lefty

26 United States Jaime Sifers (A) D-man Righty

7 United States Denny Urban D-man Righty

13 United States Trent Vogelhuber (A) RW Righty

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Coyotes entered a three year agreement with the Springfield Falcons. When a team changes affiliation, do they transfer all their players to the new team or work around what is in place already?

These are the players under contract for the Falcons (Not Columbus Blue Jacket prospects)..would these players stay?

NO, everybody goes into the same pool, same as any affiliation or players under previous affiliations not under a 2 way contract, all AHL and ECHL, EVEN WHEN the affiliate changes, players here in Portland that were on AHL Deals CAN be Retained any team can sign anybody who may be on an AHL Roster, DI.

KEEP in mind, Gwinnett's deal has to be renewed.

remember, any veteran player that has an AHL Contract, has to be signed to an Arizona contract in case of recall.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
NO, everybody goes into the same pool, same as any affiliation or players under previous affiliations not under a 2 way contract, all AHL and ECHL, EVEN WHEN the affiliate changes, players here in Portland that were on AHL Deals CAN be Retained any team can sign anybody who may be on an AHL Roster, DI.

remember, any veteran player that has an AHL Contract, has to be signed to an Arizona contract in case of recall.

I'm only talking about AHL players with no affiliation to an NHL team. They are solely to the AHL club.

Not sure what you mean by going into the same pool...But from what I think you are saying is those AHL contract players can and possibly will stay with that club? So, the Falcon players under contract will play with the Coyotes prospects?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Enjoy.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm only talking about AHL players with no affiliation to an NHL team. They are solely to the AHL club.

Not sure what you mean by going into the same pool...But from what I think you are saying is those AHL contract players can and possibly will stay with that club? So, the Falcon players under contract will play with the Coyotes prospects?

no, DI

anybody on a current contract, no matter if it's an AHL DEAL OR NOT, likely doesn't get retained past the current season, so none of the Falcon veterans who have been there, it doesn't matter which affiliation it is, that's up to Arizona, just as it is that Florida doesn't retain or inherit those under AHL Deals that the Coyotes signed or adjusted from ATO to SPC, OR even PTO to SPC, ALL AHL Contracts expire when the current season ends.

you remember when Bolduc was originally signed to play in Portland, that was the deal, the only way the Coyotes could recall him was to sign him to a 2 way.

Wathier's another example when he joined Portland, he had prior experience in the NHL, BUT HE WENT from a PTO, TO a SPC.

it's like assigning a player from Portland to Gwinnett, or vice versa, but no one club is limited to just its assigned affiliate. ie Trivino, a prime example, he attended Portland camp, was in Florida at the time of his recall, and stuck until the Coyotes season ended.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
no, DI

anybody on a current contract, no matter if it's an AHL DEAL OR NOT, likely doesn't get retained past the current season, so none of the Falcon veterans who have been there, it doesn't matter which affiliation it is, that's up to Arizona, just as it is that Florida doesn't retain or inherit those under AHL Deals that the Coyotes signed or adjusted from ATO to SPC, OR even PTO to SPC, ALL AHL Contracts expire when the current season ends.

you remember when Bolduc was originally signed to play in Portland, that was the deal, the only way the Coyotes could recall him was to sign him to a 2 way.

Wathier's another example when he joined Portland, he had prior experience in the NHL, BUT HE WENT from a PTO, TO a SPC.

it's like assigning a player from Portland to Gwinnett, or vice versa, but no one club is limited to just its assigned affiliate. ie Trivino, a prime example, he attended Portland camp, was in Florida at the time of his recall, and stuck until the Coyotes season ended.

So, they (AHL players) all have one year contracts? Once the season is over any team can sign them? I didn't know an AHL player can be assigned to an ECHL team, thought they were stuck with that team until something happened otherwise. How would it be up to Arizona? The AHL affiliation can sign players to fill roster spots if needed.

I am not talking about contracts with an NHL club team that can assign their players around, I am talking about players that are under contract by the AHL team. Also, I know how two way contracts work and I am not talking about that.

If I don't understand you by now, you probably need to simplify what you are talking about. Not saying it to be mean but really, I am having trouble following what you are trying to explain.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If I don't understand you by now, you probably need to simplify what you are talking about. Not saying it to be mean but really, I am having trouble following what you are trying to explain.

Hutch, perhaps you can ask Wildcat to edit your posts for you. :biglaugh:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

To answer your question DI.....

It's always possible the Coyotes will look to sign a player that played in Springfield this season and it’s not limited to players that signed AHL contracts. They might look to sign a free agent that was under a two-way NHL contract with Columbus. However, if a player signed a multi-season AHL contract with Springfield they’ll go to the Blue Jackets’ AHL club to Lake Erie because although it was an AHL contract it’s a contact between the Blue Jackets and player. There are cases where a player will sign directly with the AHL club, but the Falcons had none of those players.

In terms of the Coyotes signing with the Falcons…. It’s a deal of convenience and only option left. It’s no secret the Coyotes want to have their affiliate out west. That’s been known for a couple seasons, but they don’t own a franchise so they’re at a bit of a disadvantage right now in that regard.

The Coyotes could have stayed in Portland. Despite everything that happened in ’13-’14 both sides had put those issues behind them – largely because the problem was gone (Brian Petrovek) from the team – and held talks about a new affiliation agreement. But, the Coyotes are only looking for short term deals – 1yr or 2yr deals – because they do not want to close the door on their first chance to move to Arizona. The deal with Springfield is for three years, but it’s really a series a 1yr deals for three seasons. The Coyotes can leave at any point or purchase the Falcons and move them, which I fully expect them to do.

Portland – with an independent owner – wasn’t comfortable with that risk so they began to look elsewhere hence Florida.

The Coyotes are likely to stay in Springfield for a couple seasons until they can either purchase the franchise or complete the sale on another franchise to move to Tucson, Prescott Valley or maybe Tempe…

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Springfield has their own youtube channel that they update more than once a month. Upgrade!

Video highlights as well.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
While not being star prospects it would appear to me they are potential NHL'ers who should be retained and thrown into the mix to see who earns an NHL paycheck.

Neither would seem to be able to make the grade based solely on their offensive potential so any additional areas where they can add value must be developed.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Coyotes dismiss AHL coaching staff
By Chris Roy | Updated: May 17, 2015

The Arizona Coyotes have cleaned house in the American Hockey League in the preparation of their affiliation move from Portland to Springfield, Massachusetts next season.

The Coyotes relieved head coach Ray Edwards and assistant coaches John Slaney and Trent Whitfield from their duties with the AHL franchise as well as dismissing both the equipment and medical staffs.

READ MORE>>>>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad