Prospect Info: Springfield Falcons Discussion - Coyotes AHL affiliate

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you want to support what is widely perceived as a house of cards don't act shocked if it comes tumbling down.

Coyotes fans for too long have been treated to ownerships who've been pretenders. So blindingly following IA like lemmings just doesñ't cut it. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical with IA (the foolish hiring of two former Glendale employees which led to the lease being scrapped is a prime example).

It's your money, do what you want with it. If your skeptical and don't want to support your team, it's no skin off my a--.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It's your money, do what you want with it. If your skeptical and don't want to support your team, it's no skin off my a--.

It isn't about being skeptical....

It's about "Don't tell me about stuff that you can't deliver." Coyotes fans have every right to be suspicious after IA let themselves be set up to get kicked to the curb by a city for whom they held all the leverage in the world over.

They got arrogant... plain and simple. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in the predicament they are now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It isn't about being skeptical....

It's about "Don't tell me about stuff that you can't deliver." Coyotes fans have every right to be suspicious after IA let themselves be set up to get kicked to the curb by a city for whom they held all the leverage in the world over.

They got arrogant... plain and simple. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in the predicament they are now.

We have no idea of the exact behind the door activity. We can't control ownership so why worry about it. I just care about the on ice product. If I don't like the product, I don't buy it, if I like it I will buy it. For me it's that simple.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
I was at this funeral this weekend and as furious as I am at your organization it doesn't have anything to do with you guys so I'll give you one last update on the guys up from juniors.

Hill looks pretty good, he started both games. Fischer looks great, MacInnis didn't look out of place at all, Wood looked terrible and they were really forcing it with him, he was out there A LOT and he was on the ice for 3 of the 5 goals against this weekend. Rolson must not like Mayo because I'd say his ice time was half of Wood's, I can't really say I saw enough of him to give an opinion but he was on the ice for the 2 goals that Wood wasn't in his limited time.

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I was at this funeral this weekend and as furious as I am at your organization it doesn't have anything to do with you guys so I'll give you one last update on the guys up from juniors.

Hill looks pretty good, he started both games. Fischer looks great, MacInnis didn't look out of place at all, Wood looked terrible and they were really forcing it with him, he was out there A LOT and he was on the ice for 3 of the 5 goals against this weekend. Rolson must not like Mayo because I'd say his ice time was half of Wood's, I can't really say I saw enough of him to give an opinion but he was on the ice for the 2 goals that Wood wasn't in his limited time.

Don't sweat it. We have lashed out at other people for our frustrating organization too. We all kind of see whats going on and I can't see too many of us being happy about it either. We do appreciate your update on the players, and we're going to miss seeing these updates from you guys.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

The yotes ****ed you guys over hard, I'd be furious too. Good to hear about Fischer though, he's exactly the kind of player we need too.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The Falcons have been sold to the Coyotes. The sale is 99 percent complete with the only thing left being the AHL Board of Governors giving final approval to the sale and application for relocation to Tucson, AZ for the 2016-17 season.

It might not be all doom and gloom in Springfield, however… There is speculation that another NHL franchise is looking at moving its AHL affiliate to Springfield. I’ve been hearing for a while that it might be NY Rangers looking to move Hartford because of various issues between the various parties and the state of CT. If that falls through, an ECHL franchise is almost a lock for the 2017-18 season.

It was a rather eerie feeling over the weekend because you could tell the it was the final time for franchise. Especially after Sunday’s game when many of the players from the Pirates took time before going off the ice to shake hands with players from Springfield.

Trying to dig up information on the sale… I couldn’t find anyone from the executive team. They were there because of an apparent meeting Sunday morning to inform staff of what was going to happen.

I was able to finally corner one of my sources who confirmed that the sale was final. No caveats. It’s 100% of the franchise to the Coyotes.

There may be an announcement from the Coyotes this week, but I suspect that the league will want to hold off and announce both the transfer of the franchise and relocation after the BoG meets.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
COYOTES SIGN AGREEMENT TO PURCHASE SPRINGFIELD FALCONS AHL FRANCHISE

Springfield, MA - The Arizona Coyotes and the Springfield Falcons announced today that the two clubs have signed an agreement for the Coyotes to purchase the Falcons American Hockey League (AHL) franchise. The agreement is contingent upon AHL Board of Governor approval, finalizing closing conditions, and signing an arena lease agreement.

I guess they are not waiting....

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Damn. I feel bad for people losing their team, as we almost did many times.

But on the other hand, as a life long Coyotes fan from Phoenix, who now goes to college in Tucson, I'm excited to watch a lot of AHL hockey.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I have nothing against any of you Coyotes. You're all fans that love your team, but words can't describe how much I hate your god damn organisation right now over how hard they screwed Springfield this year. >:(

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have nothing against any of you Coyotes. You're all fans that love your team, but words can't describe how much I hate your god damn organisation right now over how hard they screwed Springfield this year. >:(

Believe me, there are more than a few of us who feel the same way. Hopefully the rumors about another AHL team relocating to Springfield are true.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Can't disagree with that at all, if they had this planned all season they could've at least kept some of the vets there so they'd have a solid watchable team at the end.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Couldn't agree more, on all points. :yo:
...as a life long Coyotes fan from Phoenix, who now goes to college in Tucson, I'm excited to watch a lot of AHL hockey.
...if you can call what the Coyotes put on the ice at that level "AHL hockey".

tumblr_mnjw0eX4jZ1rvjt2vo2_250.gif

"Better get used to last place, kid..."

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Couldn't agree more, on all points. :yo:

...if you can call what the Coyotes put on the ice at that level "AHL hockey".

tumblr_mnjw0eX4jZ1rvjt2vo2_250.gif

"Better get used to last place, kid..."

I'm hoping they'll actually put effort into improving our AHL team now that our drafting seems to have improved, and next season were going to have some good young talent on the team. It'd be a shame for their development to be hampered by a poorly managed AHL franchise.

Sorry you're losing your team though. Hopefully Springfield will get another team soon.

Swat Ultra

~Hockey!~
Sep 23, 2010
Northern NH
Why is this a surprise for anyone? the Portland Pirates ditched the coyotes for they knew they were going to do this. Any Springfield fans that are mad at the coyotes Org should look at their own front office. This was clear it was going to happen from last year. Springfield signed the contract knowing this was coming.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why is this a surprise for anyone? the Portland Pirates ditched the coyotes for they knew they were going to do this. Any Springfield fans that are mad at the coyotes Org should look at their own front office. This was clear it was going to happen from last year. Springfield signed the contract knowing this was coming.

You could be right. Be all thought this happened very quickly, but it could have been in the works for a year.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA

We literally hate the very top of our own front office, it has been garbage ever since Bruce Landon stepped down. You don't have to convince anyone here.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014

Like Springfield really had a choice in affiliations. Columbus announced very late that they were ending the affiliation agreement and moving players to Cleveland. By that point the Colorado already had an agreement with San Antonio and Florida had been locked into Portland since the season's half way point when the Pirates announced they were done with the Coyotes.

Everybody else was taken so what did you want them to do, go independent? The AHL's bylaws basically prohibit a team from starting the season without an affiliation and the veteran rule slams the door on trying to put together anything resembling a half way decent team.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

Like Springfield really had a choice in affiliations. Columbus announced very late that they were ending the affiliation agreement and moving players to Cleveland. By that point the Colorado already had an agreement with San Antonio and Florida had been locked into Portland since the season's half way point when the Pirates announced they were done with the Coyotes.

Everybody else was taken so what did you want them to do, go independent? The AHL's bylaws basically prohibit a team from starting the season without an affiliation and the veteran rule slams the door on trying to put together anything resembling a half way decent team.

Both of you are correct.... It shouldn't be a surprise because since IA purchased the Coyotes they wanted to move to their affiliate out west. Likewise, Portland gave the Coyotes the heave-ho for two reasons. 1.) competitive team or lack of competitive team 2.) Coyotes didn't want to commit to a long-term deal. They only wanted one year extensions and that's something Portland was going to commit to with a renovated building and new long-term lease.

Portland went looking for a new partner and ultimately came to a four-year agreement with the Panthers. However, here's the thing.... the deal was completed early enough that it left Arizona with more than enough time to find another partner and it didn't have to be Springfield. For whatever reason IA sat idly by while Colorado and Columbus worked a deal in the background instead of being proactive. At the time there was a belief that Arizona and San Antonio would have been a good fit because of proximity to Glendale and proximity within the league.

Ultimately, Colorado and Columbus worked out a deal that allowed the Blue Jackets to move to Lake Erie. That still left San Antonio open for the Coyotes if they worked a deal. They didn't. Colorado did and Springfield was left with Arizona as its only option.

Personally, I think the Coyotes were so focused on purchasing a club that everything around them was oblivious. They were miffed at Portland for terminating the deal in-season as well as announcing a new affiliation agreement with another team in-season. I think they thought if they waited long enough they'd force Portland to sell much like Norfolk and now Springfield and when Portland got the jump on them I think that caught them off-guard.

All that said.... Springfield also knew that Columbus had been looking to move its affiliation to Lake Erie so when the Blue Jackets began to get in serious talks Pompea should have been more proactive in either luring Colorado or even Montreal who hadn't quite sealed its deal with St. John's when the whole process began.

I feel terrible for folks in Springfield. I think the whole situation stinks. I've been against the whole westward movement since Day 1 because I think the reasons they claim for wanting to be out west are bogus, but that's water under the bridge and nothing can be done about that now. Ultimately, it is IA's right to put their players where ever they want and Springfield's ownership should have been vigilant about that from day 1. The writing had been on the wall for more than five years about western NHL teams wanting to move their affiliates out west so any team with a west coast NHL partner should be leery on the future of their franchise. That includes Utica, who is the only remaining eastern team with a west coast affiliate. They're next.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Lol how exactly are the reasons bogus? Not just the yotes moving teams out west...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->