OT - NO POLITICS Spring Ahead, Things that are Green & Pretty Flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
So begins the journey to look for a new job/part time job. Looking at some of these salaries costsco started to suck ass at the end their pay scale was pretty dope. Drug testing too in 2022.

Have you looked into the operating engineers union? They are for construction operators and drivers. Might be better pay and more local than a trucking gig.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
So begins the journey to look for a new job/part time job. Looking at some of these salaries costsco started to suck ass at the end their pay scale was pretty dope. Drug testing too in 2022.

I truly wish you the best. If you’re serious about the driving thing, it’s a great way to make really good money - but it’s governed by the NTSB and that means no drugs.

Need to make some choices - that’s a great path forward.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No LCD’s flat screens,maybe just lucky with TV’s washer and dryer’s not so much.
It’s always something. For me it’s our f***ing oven range. Bought a real nice one since my wife loves to cook and is great at it. Stupid thing has had the same issue three times in 4 years where it won’t heat up.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Speaking of cooking. My Bride is the same. Loves to cook.

Her birthday is coming up . I asked what she would like. ( honestly last year at this time I didnt know if she’d even be here).

Anyway she said’ just a decent knife to cook with. Im tired of nothing but Target and Walmart crap. Just once in my life a good damn knife’. ‘ Can I please have a real Shun or Whustof?’

So, my question is do we have any professional cooks or chefs here?
Can you pm me?

After the year shes had I went the IDGAF route about money.
I just want to know if I covered every angle to surprise the hell outta her. I think I bought one everything and some of both.

Very confusing.
Knives, who woulda thunk it?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't have any recommends but yeah, a decent knife makes a world of difference. And a full set with different sizes and serrating patterns a legit knife block, that's what I miss about living with my parents, they had a knife block. I'm cheap and have just been cutting everything from fruit, meat, and bread with the knives I buy at Dollar Tree that get dull quick. Having proper sizes and blade edges for the thing you're trying to cut makes all the difference. And contrary to common belief a really sharp knife is a hell of a lot safer than a dull one - it will slice as you tell it to and not get stuck and make you put unsafe force onto it. So yeah, as someone who loves to cook, good knives are a worthwhile investment.

Reactions: Gee Wally and bb74

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Her birthday is coming up . I asked what she would like. ( honestly last year at this time I didnt know if she’d even be here).

Anyway she said’ just a decent knife to cook with. Im tired of nothing but Target and Walmart crap. Just once in my life a good damn knife’. ‘ Can I please have a real Shun or Whustof?’

Can you pm me?

I just want to know if I covered every angle to surprise the hell outta her. I think I bought one everything and some of both.

Very confusing.
PM in your inbox from the grindstone GW.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I don't have any recommends but yeah, a decent knife makes a world of difference. And a full set with different sizes and serrating patterns a legit knife block, that's what I miss about living with my parents, they had a knife block. I'm cheap and have just been cutting everything from fruit, meat, and bread with the knives I buy at Dollar Tree that get dull quick. Having proper sizes and blade edges for the thing you're trying to cut makes all the difference. And contrary to common belief a really sharp knife is a hell of a lot safer than a dull one - it will slice as you tell it to and not get stuck and make you put unsafe force onto it. So yeah, as someone who loves to cook, good knives are a worthwhile investment.

PM in your inbox from the grindstone GW.

I sent @bb74 what I bought. Thanks again bb for responding!

Anyway, the Bride is a home cook. Just for me and family at holidays. But a helluva cook.
She also always put herself last. On anything. So when she asked and I started reading it became confusing. Pros and cons of what kind and Western vs. Japanese.
So I kinda said f*** it. She mentioned those two brands Shun & Whustof as brand for a single good knife to own.

I just hope I did right, @bb74 points at least I got some right types. 😁

I got all of these:

Im pretty sure I paid less for cars in my 20s.

Reactions: bb74

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Cars are metal(mostly) with character that create and freeze in time memories and emotions. Just like great knives. She's gonna love it!

Reactions: Gee Wally

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The new TVs only burn for a certain amount of hours before the brightness starts to fade. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time before the picture itself goes and you are correct that it's far cheaper to buy a new one than to try and fix your current one. This is the disposable world we live in these days. New phones every year. New car every 3. New TV every 5. Gotta keep that economy moving instead of using what you already have.

I'm showing my age here: when I was a kid when the TV started acting up we'd call Cliff the TV repair man (yes, that used to be a thing) and he would come to the house, unscrew the back cover of the tv and take a look at what was happening (or not happening). It was fascinating to watch him- the interior of the tv held all these tubes (those were usually the culprit, they tended to burn out) and wires plus that huge picture tube. Cllff had a huge tool box that held replacement tubes as well his tools. If it was fixable, he could fix it. If it wasn't he told us to come by the shop and take a look at the TVs he had in stock.

:wally:

• Haha
Reactions: sooshii and LSCII

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm showing my age here: when I was a kid when the TV started acting up we'd call Cliff the TV repair man (yes, that used to be a thing) and he would come to the house, unscrew the back cover of the tv and take a look at what was happening (or not happening). It was fascinating to watch him- the interior of the tv held all these tubes (those were usually the culprit, they tended to burn out) and wires plus that huge picture tube. Cllff had a huge tool box that held replacement tubes as well his tools. If it was fixable, he could fix it. If it wasn't he told us to come by the shop and take a look at the TVs he had in stock.

:wally:
I'm Going to preface this by saying I know im goilnna get the "when I was a kid we didn't have remotes' speech."

But I'm not really a fan of the new, new TV's that come a remote that's tiny with tiny buttons and has no number pad on it. (Bruinaura and I were ranting about this a month or so ago)
I spent $2k on a 65" Samsung a couple summers ago that was marked down because of covid and opened it up when I got home and laughed at the remote... like really this TV was $2k after being marked down and this what they give you. . .
Had me swearing last night because I use xfinitys beta stream service to watch Bruins games on nesn and I had relogin (for whatever damn reason because I never have to as it's saved) and once I finally did log back in and blah blah blah (10 minutes later) it bo longer had Nesn or nbcsn saved as my most watched so I had to figure out how to get to channel 1250 with no number pad... luckily I remembered that if you go to to an analog channel it auto switches you to the HD channel. But at first I was like are effing kidding me I was just put the damn game on and crack a beer.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is springtime and the City of Boston is repainting traffic lines.....

1650077212903.png

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Can you pm me?

Very confusing.

I know you've already bought the knives, but I'll just throw my two cents in. I'm definitely not an expert on knives, so I can't really offer much advice, but I'll tell you what my mom did, since she just bought a new knife set a few years ago for the first time in forever. She's a big researcher for any product she buys and she bought herself a set of Henckels and Wusthof. She tested them out with the plan to return whichever she didn't like, because your average home cook cares most about how the knife feels in their hand when they're using them every day. My mom decided she liked the Henckels, though she did buy a couple individual Wusthof knives. The biggest thing is keeping them sharp, whether that's getting them professionally sharpened or buying something to use at home, not just the steel that comes with the set.

Reactions: Gee Wally

toria13

Sep 18, 2019

Anyway, the Bride is a home cook. Just for me and family at holidays. But a helluva cook.
She also always put herself last. On anything. So when she asked and I started reading it became confusing. Pros and cons of what kind and Western vs. Japanese.
So I kinda said f*** it. She mentioned those two brands Shun & Whustof as brand for a single good knife to own.

I got all of these:

I'm sure you hit it out of the park!

I bought my father a Wüsthof chef's knife for his birthday last year and he loves it. My brother actually just texted me to complain about getting in trouble for using "dad's special knife or whatever" again lol

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I truly wish you the best. If you’re serious about the driving thing, it’s a great way to make really good money - but it’s governed by the NTSB and that means no drugs.

Need to make some choices - that’s a great path forward.

Well last night was my last night smoking. Since the Florida move it hasnt had the effect its supposed to have. Giving it up until i figure out this job thing and why its not really working anymore.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Food update: the doctor is testing me for celiac disese. I guess my iron levels are borderline anemic and that can be a sign of celiac especially with my other symptoms. If the blood test comes back positive I have to have an endoscopy to confirm.

I'm not on an elimination diet as my doctor said he doesn't believe in them. Instead he uses a food journal to find the trigger foods.

He suspects that I may have a gluten sensitivity and I am definitely lactose intolerant.

Getting the bloodwork on Monday so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is negative for celiac.

If you are gluten sensitive, please message me some of your favorite pasta and bread alternatives.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I got all of these:

In high school, I bought a 10 year old Cadillac with 115k miles for $700. To this day it's still my favorite car I've owned

...but that car never made me dinner. You made the right choice. It's not even a debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad