Sportsnet - "Maple Leafs will miss Hyman, see chance for other players to step up."

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pucks bounce off skates into the net and players get assists for doing essentially nothing. I don't think many would agree with you that he has played well lately I don't think even Auston Matthews would agree with you.

Last 5gms: 3.4 shots per game, 5.9sh%
Last 10gms: 3.0 shots per game, 13.3sh%
Last 16gms: 3.1 shots per game, 20.0sh%
Season Total: 3.3 shots per game, 22.7sh%

He's actually getting even more shots than usual lately, just for once he's not getting the puckluck lately.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Last 5gms: 3.4 shots per game, 5.9sh%
Last 10gms: 3.0 shots per game, 13.3sh%
Last 16gms: 3.1 shots per game, 20.0sh%
Season Total: 3.3 shots per game, 22.7sh%

He's actually getting even more shots than usual lately, just for once he's not getting the puckluck lately.
his shooting % is low because he's not getting good shots off. Because hes not playing well.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree completely with this sentiment. Hyman is a fantastic 2nd/3rd line physical forward on a sweet contract. IMHO you trade him at the deadline on his last year of his deal and move on because someone is going to overpay.
We need Hyman and someone else similar for the Bruins matchup. If we have ZERO forecheck then we are in big trouble. I think Marchment for Bruins series makes most sense when thinking about CAP. I would rather take CAP dollars this year to sign 2 vet UFAs like McQuaid and Bieska who can help us with what we are missing.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We need Hyman and someone else similar for the Bruins matchup. If we have ZERO forecheck then we are in big trouble. I think Marchment for Bruins series makes most sense when thinking about CAP. I would rather take CAP dollars this year to sign 2 vet UFAs like McQuaid and Bieska who can help us with what we are missing.

Which lineup do you think will be better against the Bruins, in the terms of tenacity, stick strength, forecheck?

2017-18 - Matthews, Nylander, Hyman, Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Marleau, Marner, Kadri, Plekanec, Johnsson, Brown

2018-19 - Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Tavares, Marner, Johnsson, Kadri, Marleau, Brown, Gauthier, Lindholm, Moore

I think it is pretty evident that this years lineup has more tenacity, forecheck, speed, skill and leadership then last season ever had. I dare the Bruins to try and match up lines this year. If they try they will get swept. Chara is 40+ years old, we will have his number this year. Vets decrease with age, our kids have only gotten stronger and wiser. Not to mention we only upgraded our weak links. What exactly has Boston upgraded? Or even TB for the matter since last year? Nothing.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Which lineup do you think will be better against the Bruins, in the terms of tenacity, stick strength, forecheck?

2017-18 - Matthews, Nylander, Hyman, Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Marleau, Marner, Kadri, Plekanec, Johnsson, Brown

2018-19 - Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Tavares, Marner, Johnsson, Kadri, Marleau, Brown, Gauthier, Lindholm, Moore

I think it is pretty evident that this years lineup has more tenacity, forecheck, speed, skill and leadership then last season ever had. I dare the Bruins to try and match up lines this year. If they try they will get swept. Chara is 40+ years old, we will have his number this year. Vets decrease with age, our kids have only gotten stronger and wiser. Not to mention we only upgraded our weak links. What exactly has Boston upgraded? Or even TB for the matter since last year? Nothing.
Look I agree 100% we got a better team up front. No one could argue that point. But when I look at this years team and I watch them play Bruins I only see Hyman effective on the forecheck. I have watched the 2 Boston games this year in Boston like 10X each over and over trying to figure out how we can beat them. I think we need another Hyman so we are not a 1 man gang on the forecheck. We need to play in theor end more.

The Bruins play a very simple half ice game. Dump puck in. First guy hits defense second guy picks up puck and if they miss then 3rd guy high protecting against the stretch with 2 defense playing the walls tight. Once they get they start the cycle. We can't seem to get puck back.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
*Breaking News* Mike Babcock has called a press conference to forfeit the year citing that it's just not worth playing Hockey without Zach Hyman and the team stands no chance without him anyways.
hyman in ...NYLANDER OUT BREAKING NEWS

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I don't like our match up with the Bruins one little bit.

A) they know how to "tilt us"

B) just like i called it before last years POs ( the ref imbalance will kill us), the power play opportunity imbalance was absolutely outrageous against the Bs and i am betting once again that will be greatly tilted against us.

The Bs are the last team in the east i want us to face in the POs.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
As per Babcock:

“We’re not as good a hockey team without [Hyman],” Babcock says. “We’re not as heavy. We don’t forecheck as good. We don’t hang on to the puck in the O-zone. We’re not as good on the penalty kill.”

So... Hyman is our team basically...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
As per Babcock:

“We’re not as good a hockey team without [Hyman],” Babcock says. “We’re not as heavy. We don’t forecheck as good. We don’t hang on to the puck in the O-zone. We’re not as good on the penalty kill.”

He has a skill set that no else on the team has ... look at our PP, loaded with skilled players but struggling.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As per Babcock:

That's not at all what he's saying.

Hyman is a good forechecker, our team often lacks that. We need more of that. Which is why people like the idea of Simmonds as a rental. So yes, Hyman being back, improves our team. I know the usage is sometimes frustrating, but Hyman makes our team better, even if not by a large margin, but being in the lineup.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Sportsnet is the epitome of fake news. Everything they do is wrong. No deviation here. Hyman is missed but there are many more important factors. Can you say N-y-l-a-n-d-e-r? for one.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
As per Babcock:

He's a lineup fixture in our forward group. I'd also say a hardworking player generally can't all of a sudden become one of a team's most skilled if that potential isn't there to that degree. Conversely though, a team's most skilled player can become one of its hardest workers if that desire is there.

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
As per Babcock:

He has a skill set that no else on the team has ... look at our PP, loaded with skilled players but struggling.

Hyman is a good forechecker, our team often lacks that. We need more of that. Which is why people like the idea of Simmonds as a rental. So yes, Hyman being back, improves our team. I know the usage is sometimes frustrating, but Hyman makes our team better, even if not by a large margin, but being in the lineup.

And that right there, is what is wrong with this team.

That right there...is the inbetween lines of what the coaches think and subconsciously apply to this team -- Hard work will trump all! Grind more and grind harder!
It leaks out onto our lineups and the way we deploy certain players at certain times.

We need a new system which utilizes 2 TOP lines with NO plugs. If you dont have the speed and hands, you will get demoted.
Moore should get more looks, and Kappy should be utilized more effectively with his breakaway chances. But we anchor him with slumping Kadri, and/or Old Marleau.

Bottom 6 should be using Hyman to keep opponents Hemmed in, while we put on JT or Matthews line to score.

This is what Boston does, this is what Tampa does.
They dont add a plug beside Stamkos because he needs "help" lol

This blaming it on our players is scapegoating how our system is just crap, and we get by STILL, because the talent on this team is unreal.
But if they keep this system, this style of play, we will get bounced from the playoffs real ugly.

DJ Smith needs to go. 3 years of this leaky hole covered by Talent and Freddy being a GOD.
Babs has to buy into somthing new 100%, not just try it now and then and snicker at the results.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010

That's not saying much. Any "regular" that returns from injury will generally make a team better. IMO, Hyman does not improve this team as much as Babcock likes to believe.

He's a bottom 6 guy, yet he gets first line ice time. I don't care how "heavy" he plays or how much he hustles or how hard he forechecks. He has well below average offensive talent... To the point where Tavares, Marner, Matthews and Nylander pretty much don't pass to him. They know the play will likely die on his stick.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Maple Leafs will miss Hyman. He is an effective player, important on special teams, and he helps his linemates significantly.
This is a chance for other players, like Brown and Johnsson, to step up.

What's the problem with their title? Both things they said are true. Seems like the only problem in this thread is people who don't understand the multiple aspects of hockey and what a player like Hyman brings to a team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Simmons, McQuaid and Bieksa and we start to push the Bruins around. The ice tilts. And if anyone decides they want to do something about it well Chara will have 3 tough bouts. I don't think even Chara wants to go against those guys at 40. Maybe 1 guy yes. But when he steps back on ice and another guy says lets go I think it will be too much for him to handle. 10 years ago it was not enough but today it will work.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Simmons, McQuaid and Bieksa and we start to push the Bruins around. The ice tilts. And if anyone decides they want to do something about it well Chara will have 3 tough bouts. I don't think even Chara wants to go against those guys at 40. Maybe 1 guy yes. But when he steps back on ice and another guy says lets go I think it will be too much for him to handle. 10 years ago it was not enough but today it will work.

Bieksa is free.

McQuaid shouldn't cost much.

Simmonds may be a bit harder to acquire.

If you get these three, what is your lineup suggestion?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Trade 4th Rounder and Borgman for McQuaid

Trade Brown, Durzi and 2nd Rounder for Simmonds

Trade Gardiner, Johnsson, 1st Rounder for Duncan Keith (20% retained)

Simmonds - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Gauthier-M00re/Ennis

Reilly-Keith
Derm0tt-Zaitsev
Hainsey-McQuaid

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Simmonds could potentially be interesting, but he’s also not the same player he was 2-3 seasons ago, so I wouldn’t spend a ton to get him

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I actually don't think the Hyman, Matthews, Nylander line was that bad. I don't think you take Hyman off the Marner/Tavares line now, but I don't think Matthews and Nylander knew how good they had it. Hyman freed up a lot of room for those two.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How Babcock reads the score sheet.

2145CE4B-5E63-4CA9-971B-DF3278C76A4C.jpeg

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Trade 4th Rounder and Borgman for McQuaid

Trade Brown, Durzi and 2nd Rounder for Simmonds

Trade Gardiner, Johnsson, 1st Rounder for Duncan Keith (20% retained)

Simmonds - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Gauthier-M00re/Ennis

Reilly-Keith
Derm0tt-Zaitsev
Hainsey-McQuaid

Absolutely not.

If they decide they aren't keeping Gardiner (or Jake simply decides he won't stay), ship him to a team out West that won't make it past the second round (Colorado and Anaheim spring immediately to mind) for a futures package (2019 2nd, 2020 3rd and prospect).

Duncan Keith is a first ballot hall of famer but he's no longer what he once was and at 35 isn't going to be getting better.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I like Hyman’s intensity- he plays with heart and grit and pisses the other team off - his impact was immediately when he returned last night. I don’t think he should be in the top line but better served on the second line. I trust Babcock

I just feel like our team is more of a pushover without Zach. Like our team had much less physical presence- I’m happy he’s back

Reactions: Notsince67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad