Sportsnet - "Maple Leafs will miss Hyman, see chance for other players to step up."

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Are they serious with this title? A team with Tavares, Matthews, Rielly, Kadri, Marner, Kapanen, Nylander, etc is going to miss Hyman of all players? Who will step up to score an empty netter? Perhaps lowly Patrick Marleau and his pathetic Team Canada pedigree will fill the giant hole left behind by Zach Hyman.

Are these sports 'journalists' for real? How come nobody in the media has mustered the courage to ask why someone with 15 points is playing with two players that have 47 and 38 points respectively? How come nobody has mustered the courage to ask why this player has never been demoted, ever?

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
IMO they will miss him. He provides a heck of a lot of great board work. It help to wear opposing D-man down a little. His speed will be missed as well, he sure isn't the Leafs fasted player but he can get in on the fore check in a hurry and it does help turn pucks over.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hyman definitely deserves a spot on the team and is a decent player, but he's also extremely replaceable. I will always like and respect him for how hard he works and his good performance in the playoffs though
Some guys wow you in the regular season and fast attract a fan base all on their own.

Then the playoffs come and some players are missed more than others.
Those that wowed you in 82 games don’t.
Right now it’s fine.

That being said, should Hyman be playing with Matthews/Tavares? Probably not. He’s the Komarov replacement IMO. On that 3rd pair.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
yeah no problem, William will not only go into the corners and take a beating, he will come out with the puck. LOL! In our dreams..

Reactions: NovaLeaf

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Are they serious with this title? A team with Tavares, Matthews, Rielly, Kadri, Marner, Kapanen, Nylander, etc is going to miss Hyman of all players? Who will step up to score an empty netter? Perhaps lowly Patrick Marleau and his pathetic Team Canada pedigree will fill the giant hole left behind by Zach Hyman.

Are these sports 'journalists' for real? How come nobody in the media has mustered the courage to ask why someone with 15 points is playing with two players that have 47 and 38 points respectively? How come nobody has mustered the courage to ask why this player has never been demoted, ever?

How come you have access to the internet yet remain trapped inside your bubble of ignorance?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
They are going to miss Hyman because most of those guys just don't have his courage or tenacity in digging for pucks. Losing Hyman forces Marner and Tavares to work that much harder.

Connor Brown is the obvious replacement.
Don't bother... Those who don't get the importance of Hyman lack hockey IQ.

Since you obviously have hockey IQ this may benefit the team because the only thing the Leafs top end players lack in consistency is a commitment to compete, play with tenacity where skill doesn't outweigh there compete. Missing Hyman and putting the emphasis on them to get onboard the out work your opponent train is what will make this team a true contender. Not there yet especially the golden boy Matthews but he will get it... losing in the playoffs is the teacher of this and I can't wait to see the top guys on this team in this years playoffs.

Reactions: BM14

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Don't bother... Those who don't get the importance of Hyman lack hockey IQ.

Since you obviously have hockey IQ this may benefit the team because the only thing the Leafs top end players lack in consistency is a commitment to compete, play with tenacity where skill doesn't outweigh there compete. Missing Hyman and putting the emphasis on them to get onboard the out work your opponent train is what will make this team a true contender. Not there yet especially the golden boy Matthews but he will get it... losing in the playoffs is the teacher of this and I can't wait to see the top guys on this team in this years playoffs.

And those who overrate the Hyman types lack hockey IQ too.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
They are going to miss Hyman because most of those guys just don't have his courage or tenacity in digging for pucks. Losing Hyman forces Marner and Tavares to work that much harder.

Connor Brown is the obvious replacement.
No one is a better tandem at puck hounding than JT and Marner and at least they know what to do with the puck when they get it. Hyman will not be missed by those two,it may actually give them a secondary option to pass instead of looking for each other.

Reactions: JayDog17

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Mitch and JT think they got a early x-mas present with the Hey-Man injury , lol .

and love these articles kissing up too Babs

omg Hyman's out , how in the world can they get by without him

Reactions: Suntouchable13

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
2 things

1. They will miss Hyman, he bangs he gets the puck and he's big. Ye he may not be a 1dt line winger but he's a NHL player and is literally exactly the typw if player everyone on these boards are clamouring for.

2. Did you really try to insult Marleaus career? Pretty sure he's had a good one... 9 points in 15 games for Canada at the Olympics isn't too shabby.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
They will miss Hyman because it messes up their 4th line...Gauthier is not a suitable replacement.
They certainly don't miss him on the top 6...

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
No one is a better tandem at puck hounding than JT and Marner and at least they know what to do with the puck when they get it. Hyman will not be missed by those two,it may actually give them a secondary option to pass instead of looking for each other.

Johnsson tonight. 1 goal 2 assists. And right there for everyone one of JT and Marners plays.

That line hemmed in the opposition.
That line broke out into the NZ very fast

Pass to Johnsson means a play and a threat pushing back D.

Pass to Hyman means cover passing lanes and let him make a bad pass.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnsson can do with JT and Marner, wish Zach a speedy recovery, but I'm not shedding tears of extreme sorrow or anything.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Johnsson tonight. 1 goal 2 assists. And right there for everyone one of JT and Marners plays.

That line hemmed in the opposition.
That line broke out into the NZ very fast

Pass to Johnsson means a play and a threat pushing back D.

Pass to Hyman means cover passing lanes and let him make a bad pass.
The plus side of Johnsson with JT/Marner (or any player with offensive acumen ) really does seem obvious. They don't need a checker,although a Power Forward would be ideal,I hope Johnsson makes Babs think twice when Zach returns.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
lmao Tavares was so surprised when his non-marner winger gave him a perfect feed to send him in all alone that he completely muffed it.

Reactions: Jozay

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
With Ennis gone and Moore up, is he with Kadri or Gauthier?

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Moore-Kadri-Nylander
Lindholm-Gauthier-Brown

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Well to me it didn't look like they missed Hyman at all, I don't know what sportsnet is spewing. I did notice that Hyman was not there to f*** up any offence by Marner and JT!

EDIT: To tell the truth not once did Hyman cross my mind during the game! I was to busy enjoying JT, Marner and Johnsson playing together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Economist

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Pylon is missed everytime Johnsson makes a nice pass. Just sit at home for the rest of the season. We will miss you for all the bad reasons in the world.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Johnsson really does add another dimension to their line. By the end, they were absolutely flying out there shift after shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad