Sportsnet - "Maple Leafs will miss Hyman, see chance for other players to step up."

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
*Breaking News* Mike Babcock has called a press conference to forfeit the year citing that it's just not worth playing Hockey without Zach Hyman and the team stands no chance without him anyways.

Reactions: smitty10

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Step up? We have a few guys playing under these support players just because Babs loves them. They are legit better players but guys like Brown get a pass for terrible performances while the good guys don't.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don’t get how this board is more negative than ever.
My feeling is majority of people are so young they really don't understand how good this team is and how special it is. I have been a fan since 1980.
See a reaction towards this team like me, who grew up with the team owned by Ballard. It's hard for me to be overly negative as the organization is in such great shape.
Times are great. Too bad so many can't enjoy it. It's also a shame our media has to talk more about offersheets and the cap than the team's actual play.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Are they serious with this title? A team with Tavares, Matthews, Rielly, Kadri, Marner, Kapanen, Nylander, etc is going to miss Hyman of all players? Who will step up to score an empty netter? Perhaps lowly Patrick Marleau and his pathetic Team Canada pedigree will fill the giant hole left behind by Zach Hyman.

Are these sports 'journalists' for real? How come nobody in the media has mustered the courage to ask why someone with 15 points is playing with two players that have 47 and 38 points respectively? How come nobody has mustered the courage to ask why this player has never been demoted, ever?

Yes they are serious. Your astonishment is more astonishing than the astonishment most would experience over a title that is, by 99% of the public’s standards, not astonishing in anyway.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They really haven't because the reality is h doesn't actually matter, I mean he isn't bad I will even say we are a better team with him but no he doesn't matter, he doesn't make or break anything.

Now Andersen? That's real that matters.

Human isn't real, Hyman doesn't matter

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Hyman is very much needed, it is actually kinda crazy how many people cant see his value. He's playing to high in the lineup, but with what we currently have for left wingers it is what it is.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
When Hyman comes back maybe we should put the Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line back together and keep Mango with Mitch and JT. We need to get Willy and Matty going together again; get Willy some goals and have him get some confidence. I think Kappy has been great and he'll probably help that Kadri line more.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Hyman brings value to the team with his "skillset". Regardless of him barely producing in a top 6 roll with some of the leagues best players. He brings intangibles on the ice but his "skillset" can be replaced with another hard working player that can contribute to perhaps more offense.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
yeah no problem, William will not only go into the corners and take a beating, he will come out with the puck. LOL! In our dreams..
dude chill. You continue to bash william and have been short sighted with statements such as... kap is so much better etc. So easy to forget what he did the last two years plus against washington in his first playoffs.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
IF the Leafs traded both Hyman and Brown and saved almost 5 mill they would still have the same record today.

But, you have to fill out the roster with cheap players and Hyman and Brown are cheap. Although I think Brown will be moved. 2+ mill on the 4th line is a waste.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
While we're at it, what do offensive linemen do on NFL teams? How do NFL teams justify paying these dudes anything more than the league minimum? None of them carry or catch the ball. None of them score points. None of them do cool celebrations. They're just man-mountains who get in the way and have earth shaking collisions with defensive line players who also don't score points. Almost none of these guys could keep up with the players who actually score the points. The egos of these NFL coaches/GMs who overvalue these filler players because they're good pros.

And don't get me started on soccer defenders who can go years without scoring a goal.

Reactions: Cams and egd27

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
While we're at it, what do offensive linemen do on NFL teams? How do NFL teams justify paying these dudes anything more than the league minimum? None of them carry or catch the ball. None of them score points. None of them do cool celebrations. They're just man-mountains who get in the way and have earth shaking collisions with defensive line players who also don't score points. Almost none of these guys could keep up with the players who actually score the points. The egos of these NFL coaches/GMs who overvalue these filler players because they're good pros.

And don't get me started on soccer defenders who can go years without scoring a goal.
and what the hell does this have to do Hyman ?

take away quality lineman from a NFL team , the offense grinds to a halt and the QB gets killed , take away Hyman from the Leafs and no one notices he's out of the lineup

Reactions: nofehr and smitty10

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pointing to the teams record without Hyman is stupid. We had a good record without Matthews, we’re a good team.

the difference is we can clearly see a significant drop off in offense with Matthews out, while there's been no drop off of any kind with Hyman out - heck, even his very own line has been better without him.

Reactions: The Cobra

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
the difference is we can clearly see a significant drop off in offense with Matthews out, while there's been no drop off of any kind with Hyman out - heck, even his very own line has been better without him.

You don’t think the fact we’ve played garbage teams apart from the Islanders and Blue Jackets is a bigger factor to that?

We’ve played Detroit, the Panthers, the Rangers and New Jersey since Hyman was injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->