Sportsnet - "Maple Leafs will miss Hyman, see chance for other players to step up."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think they have missed Hyman.
Where he should be in the lineup is obviously debatable
Connor Brown with 3 goals - don't like to see him getting first line minutes

No question this team misses Hyman.. Hopefully he returns soon and takes his place back in the top 6.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if it would be best to put hyman back with Matthews and Nylander when he comes back - especially given the fact that Johnsson has played well on the Tavares line

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
With Hyman: 21-9-2, 113pt pace, 3.72gf/2.81ga (+0.89)
W/O Hyman: 6-3-0, 109pt pace, 3.67gf/2.56ga (+1.11)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
With Hyman: 21-9-2, 113pt pace, 3.72gf/2.81ga (+0.89)
W/O Hyman: 6-3-0, 109pt pace, 3.67gf/2.56ga (+1.11)
Hyman is an experience $2,250,000 replacement level player. Do you have one that put of 38 points at or below that AAV and bring a bit of physicality?
Is Hyman low hanging fruit?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
We have some talent now, that can step in, such as Trevor Moore, Tyler Ennis, Jeremy Bracco, Mason Marchment and Carl Grundstrom and we probably don't miss a beat with any of those players injected into the lineup.

Come playoff time I want to see one of the tougher guys like Marchment or Grundstrom playing, if we go up against Boston. And I want to see Hyman in the lineup against them as well.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Moore hasn't looked out of place at all. Really like his game.

Hyman though is definitely missed, and Marner/Tavares are feeling it. Brown is a nice player but he isn't Hyman. Never thought I would say this ever, but the Leafs truly miss him in their lineup. He will be welcomed back with open arms by all Leaf fans in the not to distant future.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I wonder if it would be best to put hyman back with Matthews and Nylander when he comes back - especially given the fact that Johnsson has played well on the Tavares line
Matthews looks lost lately. He looked great with Hyman and Nylander feeding him pucks. That chemistry worked.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Moore hasn't looked out of place at all. Really like his game.

Hyman though is definitely missed, and Marner/Tavares are feeling it. Brown is a nice player but he isn't Hyman. Never thought I would say this ever, but the Leafs truly miss him in their lineup. He will be welcomed back with open arms by all Leaf fans in the not to distant future.

5v5

Tavares with Hyman: 2.76pts/60
Tavares W/o Hyman: 4.69pts/60
Tavares with Brown: 4.14pts/60

Marner with Hyman: 3.10pts/60
Marner W/o Hyman: 3.76pts/60
Marner with Brown: 3.55pts/60

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
5v5

Tavares with Hyman: 2.76pts/60
Tavares W/o Hyman: 4.69pts/60
Tavares with Brown: 4.14pts/60

Marner with Hyman: 3.10pts/60
Marner W/o Hyman: 3.76pts/60
Marner with Brown: 3.55pts/60
but but but

you didn't mention how much there gud pro/60 stats have fallen without the great Zach Hey-Man

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Matthews looks lost lately.

Last 5gms: 1gls (0pp), 6pts (0pp) -- (82gms: ES 16gls/98pts, PP 0gls/0pts -- TOT: 16gls/98pts)
Last 10gms: 4gls (1pp), 12pts (3pp) -- (82gms: ES 25gls/74pts, PP 8gls/25pts - TOT: 33gls/99pts)
Last 16gms*: 10gls (3pp), 23pts (6pp) - (82gms: ES 36gls/87pts, PP 15gls/31pts - TOT: 51gls/118pts)

* - since return from injury

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd give Hyman Matthews Nylander another look. Line's clicked in the past. Free's up the LW spot with Tavares and Marner for Johnsson.
I'd move Kap up to one of the scoring lines which would free up a bottom 6 role for Hyman to work his magic , Kads is having a tough year and could use Zacky boy feeding him his patented tap in set ups to get going .

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd move Kap up to one of the scoring lines which would free up a bottom 6 role for Hyman to work his magic , Kads is having a tough year and could use Zacky boy feeding him his patented tap in set ups to get going .

Marleau Kadri Hyman would really generate nothing offensively. Rather try and find a way to get 3 scoring lines going.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matty and Nylander are not the best mix. Nylander likes to skate puck around perimeter into opposing end and then figure things out. Matty likes to have puck around red line and is more direct to net with a shot. They have tons of skill but not sure it is best fit for either. Matty looks lost in the Euro game.

Kappy was a good fit because he gave puck to Matty and then skated hard to net.

Kadri is more like Nylander in that he uses a larger ice surface and likes perimeter play too.

Marleau can open up ice for Matty on his left side.

Brown can create a little forecheck with Kadri and Nylander.

To me: Marleau Matty Kappy
Hyman Tavares Marner
Brown Kadri Nylander
Moore Goat Marchment
Line up for round 1 vs Boston
Boston will play Chara and McAvoy against Tavares line
Boston will play Bergeron against Matty's line
Leaving Kadri and Nylander to steal the show

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Marleau Kadri Hyman would really generate nothing offensively. Rather try and find a way to get 3 scoring lines going.
hurting our top 2 lines by inserting Hyman onto one of them is not a solution

Hyman's a 4th liner but Babs believes he's our mvp so best case scenario is to let Hyman gallop around on Kads line . The 3rd lines been dead pretty much the whole season so that's where Hyamn can do the least damage to his line-mates .

Reactions: smitty10

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Matty and Nylander are not the best mix. Nylander likes to skate puck around perimeter into opposing end and then figure things out. Matty likes to have puck around red line and is more direct to net with a shot. They have tons of skill but not sure it is best fit for either. Matty looks lost in the Euro game.

Kappy was a good fit because he gave puck to Matty and then skated hard to net.

Kadri is more like Nylander in that he uses a larger ice surface and likes perimeter play too.

Marleau can open up ice for Matty on his left side.

Brown can create a little forecheck with Kadri and Nylander.

To me: Marleau Matty Kappy
Hyman Tavares Marner
Brown Kadri Nylander
Moore Goat Marchment
Line up for round 1 vs Boston
Boston will play Chara and McAvoy against Tavares line
Boston will play Bergeron against Matty's line
Leaving Kadri and Nylander to steal the show

I like all of this, only problem is that Johnsson is not in the lineup and I think he produces more then Brown and Marchment. I like the first 2 lines but I would move Brown down to 4th line replacing Marchment and put Johnsson with Kadri and Nylander. That gives you 3 true scoring lines. I think this lineup gives Boston more trouble.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Last 5gms: 1gls (0pp), 6pts (0pp) -- (82gms: ES 16gls/98pts, PP 0gls/0pts -- TOT: 16gls/98pts)
Last 10gms: 4gls (1pp), 12pts (3pp) -- (82gms: ES 25gls/74pts, PP 8gls/25pts - TOT: 33gls/99pts)
Last 16gms*: 10gls (3pp), 23pts (6pp) - (82gms: ES 36gls/87pts, PP 15gls/31pts - TOT: 51gls/118pts)

* - since return from injury
he had a few goals immediately after his return. And looked good doing it. Since then crickets. He hasn't been himself for a while now. A few nice passes here and there but most of his shifts are quiet.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
he had a few goals immediately after his return. And looked good doing it. Since then crickets. He hasn't been himself for a while now. A few nice passes here and there but most of his shifts are quiet.

if you notice, i broke down the last 5gms, the last 10gms, and all the games since he returned.

a 98pt pace isn't crickets.

Reactions: smitty10

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I like all of this, only problem is that Johnsson is not in the lineup and I think he produces more then Brown and Marchment. I like the first 2 lines but I would move Brown down to 4th line replacing Marchment and put Johnsson with Kadri and Nylander. That gives you 3 true scoring lines. I think this lineup gives Boston more trouble.
Yeah I missed him. I was thinking about a Boston matchup. To me I like him better than Marleau on top line. Maybe Marleau sits that series although I doubt Babs would do it. Inserting him with Kadri makes that line too weak. That line needs a little forecheck capability. I know they don't play like that but adding a little grit and size to smaller Nylander and Kadri i think has some importance against Boston. It is tough because they need a Marchment in lineup to help out Hyman. Hyman can't be our only guy like last season. We need 2 Hymans. I think Marchment is best we got right now to play that role.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hes probably not a 100% but still better than most at 70/80% while putting up excellent numbers. He needs a playmaking winger like Marner.

mat.png

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
if you notice, i broke down the last 5gms, the last 10gms, and all the games since he returned.

a 98pt pace isn't crickets.
pucks bounce off skates into the net and players get assists for doing essentially nothing. I don't think many would agree with you that he has played well lately I don't think even Auston Matthews would agree with you.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Hyman is an experience $2,250,000 replacement level player. Do you have one that put of 38 points at or below that AAV and bring a bit of physicality?
Is Hyman low hanging fruit?
I agree completely with this sentiment. Hyman is a fantastic 2nd/3rd line physical forward on a sweet contract. IMHO you trade him at the deadline on his last year of his deal and move on because someone is going to overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad