Speculation: Sports Book USA has Hawks finishing season with 90.5 points

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am over snarking it, but it absolutely isn't rocket science. Its something professionals can pick up in a few weeks or months of practice. Its not something they need to digest over years to understand.

This is not really true. In the Hawks case, changing systems is reversing instincts that have been in place for close to a decade. Again, the half second delay in decision making is the difference between a goal against and the man being covered.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Right so if they picked it up in 4-6 weeks, there's not going to be some huge improvement that is going to be made in the 4 weeks from camp starting to the start of the season.

There actually will be as the hesitation will be less. You are making this to be some small change but it is huge at the pro level.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Its a crapshoot. While everyone is excited about the changes in here it still comes down to us adding a bunch of new role players along with some unknowns and young prospects that may not even make the big team. Its not like we added any established stars. Lehner is the closest thing to an established star, and he certainly could be a big factor. The rest of the team we really have no idea how all this is going to work.

We are all desperate to return to a contending team. I am more hopeful then the past few years but am still not ready to guzzle kool aid and say this team will be a playoff team and get 100 pts. Just too many unknowns here and I could see it going either way.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Its a crapshoot. While everyone is excited about the changes in here it still comes down to us adding a bunch of new role players along with some unknowns and young prospects that may not even make the big team. Its not like we added any established stars. Lehner is the closest thing to an established star, and he certainly could be a big factor. The rest of the team we really have no idea how all this is going to work.

We are all desperate to return to a contending team. I am more hopeful then the past few years but am still not ready to guzzle kool aid and say this team will be a playoff team and get 100 pts. Just too many unknowns here and I could see it going either way.

They didn't need any. They already have those.

They needed what they've added.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
So please add to this or correct me. I'm forgetting who some of these teams lost this summer

Blues: Lost: Maroon
Stars: Added: Pavelski, Perry, Sekera
Preds: Added: Duchene Lost: PK & Wayne Simmonds
Avs - Added: Byram, Kadri, Donskoi, Burakovsky, Bellemare, Makar*(we'll still count him) Lost: Barrie, Kerfoot, Soderberg
Minn - Added: Hartman
Jets - Lost: Trouba

Sidenote: Take a look at the Jets's forward situation on Capfriendly. Wtf. Lol.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
They didn't need any. They already have those.

They needed what they've added.
Yes, and those established stars missed the playoffs the last two years. We replaced role players with new role players. It looks promising right now but hard to predict. Hopefully it all works

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
They're going to have Makar and Byram all year and they added Kadri. There's a reason their over under is set at 100.5 points

Byram might not even be NHL ready for all we know. Makar looked great in the post season, no doubt, but let’s actually see these guys produce for a full season before we claim them to be huge additions.

Kadri is a good get.

Who did they lose? I’m sure they lost one or two impact guys even if just depth pieces.

He's definitely going to replicate those numbers and not do what he's done for the other 7 years of his career.

He also was 27 years old when players typically hit their prime, no? He could definitely be a 40-50 point guy, especially with who he will play with here. That is more than “just a guy.”

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yes, and those established stars missed the playoffs the last two years. We replaced role players with new role players. It looks promising right now but hard to predict. Hopefully it all works

Their supporting cast was trash in comparison to what it looks like on paper right now. I think you're underselling what they replaced, honestly. The "role players" the Hawks had last year were absolute trash.

The Hawks also won 3 Cups having key role players in specific roles, btw.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Their supporting cast was trash in comparison to what it looks like on paper right now. I think you're underselling what they replaced, honestly. The Hawks also won 3 Cups having key role players in specific roles, btw.
As you said, on paper. We still don’t know how this is all going to mesh and how good it will be. I am hopeful but not ready to push all my chips to the middle of the table.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Here’s another factor to consider:

Toews 82 GP
Keith 82 GP
Debrincat 82 GP
Kane 81 GP
Strome/Schmaltz 81 GP
Saad 80 GP
Gustafsson 79 GP

We’ll need repeat performances from these key players.

Reactions: hockeydoug

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
As you said, on paper. We still don’t know how this is all going to mesh and how good it will be. I am hopeful but not ready to push all my chips to the middle of the table.

I'm not, either. I just think they're a playoff team. Pushing all my chips to the middle would mean I think they're gonna win the Cup.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Almost everyone complained about the lack of depth last year, especially in net, and they fix that problem... Yet here we are again with so many people thinking this team still sucks.

Seems legit.
If you are referring to me I never said I thought they suck. I said there are a lot of unknowns, question marks. I am hopeful

Reactions: RayP

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
We have more depth this season to absorb players missing a few games here and there.

He also acts like the Hawks have had a massive bunch of injuries, historically, or something. This team stays healthy. I attribute that to quality trainers, coaches, dietitians, etc. They do a hell of a job keeping these guys on the ice, and playing at 100%.

Reactions: swerdnase

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Here’s another factor to consider:

Toews 82 GP
Keith 82 GP
Debrincat 82 GP
Kane 81 GP
Strome/Schmaltz 81 GP
Saad 80 GP
Gustafsson 79 GP

We’ll need repeat performances from these key players.

I doubt we'll get that many games out of those players again.

We also had:
Murphy 52
Crawford 39

They can absorb these injuries and alot more better than they could afford just those two being out last year.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We have more depth this season to absorb players missing a few games here and there.

Yeah, I’m hopeful of that too. There’s a lot of hope with this team given the moves they made, no denying that. But with the confidence some people have here, I was expecting to posts about how big a bet on the Over people are putting down. That says more than anything else.

Reactions: hockeydoug

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I’m hopeful of that too. There’s a lot of hope with this team given the moves they made, no denying that. But with the confidence some people have here, I was expecting to posts about how big a bet on the Over people are putting down. That says more than anything else.

Bold: No one is claiming they are contenders. There is not some dramatic over confidence.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Bold: No one is claiming they are contenders. There is not some dramatic over confidence.

I wish I knew why so many people seemed to struggle to read on here. I haven't seen a single person claiming they're favorites for the Cup or something.

I'm confident they're improved to the point they're a playoff team. Apparently that's too much for some pessimists to handle.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I wish I knew why so many people seemed to struggle to read on here. I haven't seen a single person claiming they're favorites for the Cup or something.

I'm confident they're improved to the point they're a playoff team. Apparently that's too much for some pessimists to handle.

I personally think some forget that we had the 12th pick draft position and not the 3rd OA draft position. This team was closer to the playoffs than most remember (we were not that good but we were close to a playoff team).

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I personally think some forget that we had the 12th pick draft position and not the 3rd OA draft position. This team was closer to the playoffs than most remember (we were not that good but we were close to a playoff team).

Any goalie backing up other than Cam. f***ing. Ward. and this team makes the playoffs, IMO. They missed by 6 points. Ward easily accounted for those 6 lost points through terrible games. He probably cost them closer to 12 points, honestly. I don't think it's crazy to say that 6 losses could be put squarely on his shoulders.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

The Avs made it in at 90 points for the last spot last year. This is basically a bet on them making it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad