Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Evergreen

Wouldn’t it make more sense if these episodes were weekly but more in the 1 hour range? Having a three hour episode every two weeks makes half of what they talk about outdated and I feel like a lot of people just don’t have time to listen to such long episodes.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I agree.

I usually download it and fast forward to the interviews, if I like the guest.
Yes same here, I really like what they have created but I became a bit too repetitive for me. I check out the guest and start with the interview. Maybe every 2 months I try listening from the start but I usually find myself skipping again. Also one episode every other week for about 1.5hrs is enough, especially in the summertime.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes same here, I really like what they have created but I became a bit too repetitive for me. I check out the guest and start with the interview. Maybe every 2 months I try listening from the start but I usually find myself skipping again. Also one episode every other week for about 1.5hrs is enough, especially in the summertime.

Its not like they have great insight. Their opinions are really are no different than the guys at your local pub/bar.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I just started listening to them recently, didn't have a lot of time nor interest before...

That JM Liles interview was f***ing hilarious though. Especially loved the part about when Carlyle was hired and Phils reaction to not being allowed to drink Pepsi in the locker room anymore.

"I'll f***ing quit right now I swear to god"
"Phil you just signed a 64 million dollar contract with them"
"I dont f***ing care I swear to god I'll quit"

Liles has the Phil voice on point.

Any other recommendations on episodes to listen to? Preferably funny ones with behind the scenes stuff?

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Wouldn’t it make more sense if these episodes were weekly but more in the 1 hour range? Having a three hour episode every two weeks makes half of what they talk about outdated and I feel like a lot of people just don’t have time to listen to such long episodes.

They are weekly.
They have one interview, and occasionally they'll have a second. Interviews can go upwards of an hour, which does pad the runtime.
They do ramble a lot about non-hockey stuff.

A nice thing about podcasts in general is you don't usually have to actively listen, and if you find a podcast is too long, you can always listen in parts.

Evergreen

They are weekly.
They have one interview, and occasionally they'll have a second. Interviews can go upwards of an hour, which does pad the runtime.
They do ramble a lot about non-hockey stuff.

A nice thing about podcasts in general is you don't usually have to actively listen, and if you find a podcast is too long, you can always listen in parts.
I must have mixed it up with when they went from twice a week to once a week. Once a week is probably fine during the summer but during the season it’s not frequent enough. And I just think 3 hours is way too long. I have too many other podcasts to listen to.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
I just started listening to them recently, didn't have a lot of time nor interest before...

That JM Liles interview was f***ing hilarious though. Especially loved the part about when Carlyle was hired and Phils reaction to not being allowed to drink Pepsi in the locker room anymore.

Any other recommendations on episodes to listen to? Preferably funny ones with behind the scenes stuff?
Ryan Carter interview is pretty good. He had some Carlyle stories that had me dying.

Reactions: Kelly

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto

Scott Gomez is funny as hell too.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

If you like hearing guys do Phil Kessel impressions, the Kris Versteeg interview was pretty good too.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Its not like they have great insight. Their opinions are really are no different than the guys at your local pub/bar.
Of course an HF boards poster would think that two ex NHL players who are factually more involved in the NHL than anyone on these boards are akin to your local hockey fans at a bar.

God this site never fails.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

If you’re looking for funny stories I enjoyed Torrey Mitchell. Had me dying laughing when talking about a prank Jeremy Roenick pulled on him. Unbelievable story.

Jon Cooper after winning the cup last year. Very cool background and goes in depth on how he became an NHL coach.

Scott Gomez in 2019 is a good one. Some people don’t seem to like him but I loved the stories and think he has good delivery.

Sidney Crosby's interview from a few years back was really enjoyable. Always found him and his interviews boring but he opened up quite a bit. Was a fun interview and he showed a lot more personality.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Meh, I still listen to these guys. I'm not looking to gain much insight when I am though, purely entertainment. I suppose it's a guilty pleasure.

Reactions: sabresEH

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Tim Stapleton, Josh Hennessy, Scott Gomez, Torrey Mitchell are all great interviews.

Reactions: Kelly and HFpapi

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam

Def Tim Stapleton (I think he has two episodes). Hilarious

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Of course an HF boards poster would think that two ex NHL players who are factually more involved in the NHL than anyone on these boards are akin to your local hockey fans at a bar.

God this site never fails.

It really is shocking how little they know. Every episode they get something wrong. Just last episode RA was talking about Duncan Keith leaving $5.5m on the table when he retired. None of them seemed to know that he would have only made like $1m if he played next season.

At the trade deadline they all admitted they have no idea how salary retention works as far as who pays players salary and if the retention comes off their AAV or their actual salary, ect.

Could go on all day about their name pronunciations. Grinnell talked about how great the Flames/Stars series was, but proceeded to pronounce Dube as 'Doob' and Kylington as 'Kylington' (as opposed to Schillington). When summarising the new players Detroit added last season RA pronounced Jordan Oosterle with a silent 'J' as of he was European and not from Michigan.

Biz has some pretty interesting takes as well. Genuinely thought Tyson Barrie was going to get 9+mil in free agency after leading dmen in points a couple years ago. Predicted Vancouver as the #2 team in the Canadian division during covid. Now think the Blues will miss the playoffs next year because they lost Perron.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
It really is shocking how little they know. Every episode they get something wrong. Just last episode RA was talking about Duncan Keith leaving $5.5m on the table when he retired. None of them seemed to know that he would have only made like $1m if he played next season.

At the trade deadline they all admitted they have no idea how salary retention works as far as who pays players salary and if the retention comes off their AAV or their actual salary, ect.

Could go on all day about their name pronunciations. Grinnell talked about how great the Flames/Stars series was, but proceeded to pronounce Dube as 'Doob' and Kylington as 'Kylington' (as opposed to Schillington). When summarising the new players Detroit added last season RA pronounced Jordan Oosterle with a silent 'J' as of he was European and not from Michigan.

Biz has some pretty interesting takes as well. Genuinely thought Tyson Barrie was going to get 9+mil in free agency after leading dmen in points a couple years ago. Predicted Vancouver as the #2 team in the Canadian division during covid. Now think the Blues will miss the playoffs next year because they lost Perron.
If those are the things you’re looking for this podcast probably isn’t for you…

Lots of others out there that get the name pronunciations correctly for ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad