Spittin' Chiclets Podcast - Part II

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If those are the things you’re looking for this podcast probably isn’t for you…

Lots of others out there that get the name pronunciations correctly for ya.

I love the podcast. Was giving the other poster context.

I think its great banter and the interviews are superb. They seem to know surprising little about the league rules and general knowledge of the league.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Wouldn’t it make more sense if these episodes were weekly but more in the 1 hour range? Having a three hour episode every two weeks makes half of what they talk about outdated and I feel like a lot of people just don’t have time to listen to such long episodes.
They're maximizing profit and minimizing effort

Reactions: Samhockey3

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like when they have current players/former players on, but aside from that, these guys come off as annoying and super immature. They sound like teen bops.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
It really is shocking how little they know. Every episode they get something wrong. Just last episode RA was talking about Duncan Keith leaving $5.5m on the table when he retired. None of them seemed to know that he would have only made like $1m if he played next season.

At the trade deadline they all admitted they have no idea how salary retention works as far as who pays players salary and if the retention comes off their AAV or their actual salary, ect.

Could go on all day about their name pronunciations. Grinnell talked about how great the Flames/Stars series was, but proceeded to pronounce Dube as 'Doob' and Kylington as 'Kylington' (as opposed to Schillington). When summarising the new players Detroit added last season RA pronounced Jordan Oosterle with a silent 'J' as of he was European and not from Michigan.

Biz has some pretty interesting takes as well. Genuinely thought Tyson Barrie was going to get 9+mil in free agency after leading dmen in points a couple years ago. Predicted Vancouver as the #2 team in the Canadian division during covid. Now think the Blues will miss the playoffs next year because they lost Perron.
Obviously nobody is perfect. But I think both Biz and Whit hit the nail on the head more often than not when they talk about the actual play of guys. I find they bring some insight into little nuances about players, coaches and how the game is played.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Interviews - A+. Much documented but they are great at opening guys up and getting premium quality from them.

Hockey analasys - B. They make a comical amount of mistakes, yes. Some takes and insights are interesting, if you don't take them too seriously and remember their bias. When the guys share their own perspectives as previous players or from hockey people they know, they add some good context here and there.

Other talk- C-. Last episode (Johnny Hockey interview) I skipped ahead literally until like the 35:00 mark before they talked about anything worth my time. Some of their pop culture talk is interesting (they convinced me to watch Tiger King), but the vast majority is not all that interesting. And for the love of hockey, I am sick of hearing about their social media and promotions and events and things like that! mention it quickly at the end of the episode, don't spend the first half hour of a podcast talking about freaking Chicklets Cup.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wonder if this new "Chiclets Etc" podcast takes off at all. No offence to Murley/Armstrong, but I can't see many people tuning in to hear them talk about hockey every week.

Also love how Whitney is completely bandwagoning the Oilers now that PIT isn't as much of a contender :laugh: way to ditch your team.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Wonder if this new "Chiclets Etc" podcast takes off at all. No offence to Murley/Armstrong, but I can't see many people tuning in to hear them talk about hockey every week.

Also love how Whitney is completely bandwagoning the Oilers now that PIT isn't as much of a contender :laugh: way to ditch your team.
I don’t think Armstrong is going to be a regular is he? I don’t mind Murley as the 4th voice who doesn’t say much.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don’t think Armstrong is going to be a regular is he? I don’t mind Murley as the 4th voice who doesn’t say much.

My understanding was Murley & Armstrong are doing an entirely new podcast. I think Biz or someone said that it'll "make up" for SC only being once a week.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They should have a time stamp for the hockey talk. Really don't care for the 35 minutes of them discussing their favorite toilet paper or their opinion of Justin Biebers new shoes or whatever the bullshit is that they're going on and on about.
I mean i'm not a fan of the show whatsoever, can't tune in for more than 4 minutes without feeling stupider than ever before but If you're expecting compelling hockey talk from spitting chiclets its just not going to happen brother

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They should have a time stamp for the hockey talk. Really don't care for the 35 minutes of them discussing their favorite toilet paper or their opinion of Justin Biebers new shoes or whatever the bullshit is that they're going on and on about.

Thankfully they have the stamp for the interviews. A saving grace.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Just listened to the new Hossa interview and man... I've never truly gotten the RA hate but he really does stop the flow of the conversation constantly here. He goes all over the place with his questions while the others are just having a laugh. Here's the worst example I've encountered over countless episodes:

They've already gone through the 2011 and 2013 championships and are now discussing the Raffi Torres hit and Hossa is talking about his recovery. RA decides to jump in with the following question: "Were you surprised that the Bruins didn't take a timeout late in the third after the Bollands 3-2 goal in the 2013 finals?"

Like is it just me or is that just an absolutely comedic question to ask at that point?

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Not sure why people are constantly hating on SC for not "living up to media standards". Go listen to a sportsnet podcast with your favorite play-by-play guy then. Get that tidy, sterile and cliche fix you're looking for. Nothing wrong with that. I listen to it as well.

Hockey media is pretty much the exact same thing over and over. Player interviews are consistently bombarded with cliches and "get pucks deep" type of nothing of value comments. I think it's quite nice to get to know the person a bit more. Their interviews are great I think.

I like that it is relaxed. I like that players are comfortable enough to be more open than usual. I like that it's not only about the hockey career of a player but also about the person. They are also quite an odd trio that somehow has some pretty great chemistry between them. That in itself is a charm.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ha anyone ever actually listened to the Game Notes sub-pod?

Seems to me like all of their guests are... just the guys from the main show like RA, Biz, Grinelli etc.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln

He's also a former Oiler!

I love Whit.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Frank the Tank gets far too much coverage across both sports. Clown show

But if he starts a radio show he could turn into the next Finebaum, Mad dog or Stephen A. Hot takers do well for some reason

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad