Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
That first credit scenes was one of the greatest uses of the gimmick they've ever done. Delivered a perfect Spider-man moment (just when everything comes together for him, life hits him in the back of the head with a folding chair), re-contextualized the story you just saw, delivered a solid hook for the next installment.

Extra-meta, the first MCU Spider-man post credit was a throw away joke about expecting important post-credits, then the second's are super important.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Could someone contextualize this for me? I watched a bit of the cartoon as a kid, and i think I’ve seen all the movies about just Spider-Man (three Toby McGuire ones and two Andrew Garfield ones by my count)

In general superhero movies aren’t my thing, and I’m particularly uninterested in the movies that combine every hero. Is this a Spider-Man movie or like an ensemble movie? How important is knowing the Marvel comic universe for this? If I’m only really interested in the character of Spider-Man will I enjoy this or be left wanting more as he shares the story with others?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Could someone contextualize this for me? I watched a bit of the cartoon as a kid, and i think I’ve seen all the movies about just Spider-Man (three Toby McGuire ones and two Andrew Garfield ones by my count)

In general superhero movies aren’t my thing, and I’m particularly uninterested in the movies that combine every hero. Is this a Spider-Man movie or like an ensemble movie? How important is knowing the Marvel comic universe for this? If I’m only really interested in the character of Spider-Man will I enjoy this or be left wanting more as he shares the story with others?

It Spider-Man and it stands on its own.

Of course you will get a bit more out of it by knowing the basic Avenger backstory

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

If you've seen Spider-man Homecoming its similar to that level of being in the Avnegers universe. The jumping off point in Homecoming is that there is a bunch of alien tech lying around from the first Avengers movie, but for someone who hasn't seen that the only important thing to understand is that there is alien tech. The fact its from the first Avengers movie could just be considered flavour.

This is similar in that the jumping off point is the events of Infinity War/Endgame, but it starts with a little news report that gives you all the info you need and the rest doesn't really matter. There's even a part in the trailer where Nick Fury says none of the other Avengers are going to show up in the movie.

If you don't want to be spoiled for Endgame then wait, but you said you don't like the team up movies, so something tells me you're not really interested in Endgame.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Similar to most Marvel movies... you’ll understand it enough if you’ve never seen anything else before, but knowing more just enhances the movie.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Similar to most Marvel movies... you’ll understand it enough if you’ve never seen anything else before, but knowing more just enhances the movie.

While I agree that the films contain enough information to be enjoyed on their own, I think more than any other MCU solo series the Spider-Man series is dependent on seeing what came before it in previous Avengers films. The main thematic thrust of MCU Spidey's story is about generational replacement, being the next superhero who grew up while the original Avengers were assembling and avenging. Peter's particular arc is all about whether he can or will fill the role of those who came before him, or if that's even something he should be trying to do in the first place.

Ironically, something Peter wouldn't know because he only really knew Tony Stark as a legend rather than a man is that struggling in the shadow of a brilliant yet hugely flawed predecessor who left a series of messes to clean up is about most Tony Stark thing Peter Parker could do with his life.

Its not an approach that can produce the most brilliant distillation of the iconic character possible, which is what I think a lot of people would rather they do. But this approach fits well into the overall world they built and has the merit of trying to be its own thing with the inspiration of the previous mythos rather than copy what's been done before.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Saw it earlier today. I don't know what it is with the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies but I only like them when I feel I'm supposed to love them. It had some good stuff and a good modern take on Mysterio but I feel it had pacing issues and I was daydreaming at various moments during the second act. Needed 20 minutes cut out. I've seen three hour movies that I've enjoyed and never felt like three hours. This was just over two hours that felt like four.

The entire plot of the movie was redundant. All they had to do was call Pepper and I'm sure she had some override to Edith.

Editing and makeup wasn't great as MJ and Ned looked waaaayy too old at various points of the film even for HS upperclassman

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So my question now...

Was Nick Fury eye patch marketing "gaffe" actually a mistake, or was that done on purpose? I saw many people theorizing it was done that way to indicate something with the Skrulls… and well... it begs the question now.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The entire plot of the movie was redundant. All they had to do was call Pepper and I'm sure she had some override to Edith.

Talos's comment to Fury that they got the glasses to Parker" indicates it was something Pepper might not have had anything to do with. Meaning Tony, Nick Fury and Happy were the only one's in on it.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’m kinda surprised on the take on Mysterio; I didn’t like Jake in the role; he was so calm the entire time it seemed weird.

I thought his only 2 great scenes were right after getting Edith and asking for the bigger damages by the drones.
I don’t have this as my top spider man movie or even top 2 let alone in the top 5 marvel movies.

I didn’t like them revealing Parker’s identity really either because unlike the comics trying to roll that back will be nigh impossible.

I do hope they go with Spider-Man as one of the leaders of not the leader of the next set of avengers cause I don’t like that role for captain marvel

Def looks like they are setting up secret invasion - or maybe annihilation but with annihilation you need to set up galactic first and I feel galactic needs to be his own major villain ala thanos as opposed to an ultron 1 movie villain

Sorry didn’t realize that first but was a spoiler also lol brains turned off

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Spoilers dude... even your non-spoiler tagged part includes spoilers.

But to respond to your comments..

Who said they are going to roll that back? Even if they do, it seems very possible. But I don't think they will.

Did anyone say Captain Marvel would lead the next round of the Avengers? Don't think that's been decided at all, but glad you got your shot in at Captain Marvel.

Now that they've clearly established Skrulls as good, I think their take on Secret Invasion would have to be with Kree, not Skrulls. Still not sure they're going that route, though. The only thing it seemed to set up, IMO, is that Nick Fury is likely leading some cosmic kind of SHIELD (probably SWORD). Otherwise, there seems to be a lot of open possibilities.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Spoilers dude... even your non-spoiler tagged part includes spoilers.

But to respond to your comments..

Who said they are going to roll that back? Even if they do, it seems very possible. But I don't think they will.

Did anyone say Captain Marvel would lead the next round of the Avengers? Don't think that's been decided at all, but glad you got your shot in at Captain Marvel.

Now that they've clearly established Skrulls as good, I think their take on Secret Invasion would have to be with Kree, not Skrulls. Still not sure they're going that route, though. The only thing it seemed to set up, IMO, is that Nick Fury is likely leading some cosmic kind of SHIELD (probably SWORD). Otherwise, there seems to be a lot of open possibilities.

I don’t think they are going to roll the reveal back either but I’m saying it’s something I didn’t like in the original movie series either - I feel like Spider-Man’s hidden identity is essential to his character as he builds so many personal relationships that someone like stark doesn’t so that when a villas finds his identity and attacks his family it’s more devestating but just imo

Like you said nothings been decided but I felt that’s the route they were taking when bringing in marvel as powerful as she is in the movies. The reason I like Spider-Man as the lead is that he’s flawed in a different sense than tony (and my fav character) it’s not a shot at marvel like your insinuating (sexist or whatever) as I saw that damn movie opening weekend I believe. People can disapprove of captain marvel without it being whatever your insinuating. I hope they add more to her character and I’m sure they will.

Fiege said that’ll humans there are good and bad skrulls so like you said it could be reading too much into it or not. I think the only thing we can say for sure is that they are going intergalactic

Also here’s my. Review of captain marvel

It was a good movie ( I liked BP better) but it wasn’t as good as I was hoping it for; and I wonder if that’s just because she’s in the way of endgame lol

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I don’t think they are going to roll the reveal back either but I’m saying it’s something I didn’t like in the original movie series either - I feel like Spider-Man’s hidden identity is essential to his character as he builds so many personal relationships that someone like stark doesn’t so that when a villas finds his identity and attacks his family it’s more devestating but just imo

Like you said nothings been decided but I felt that’s the route they were taking when bringing in marvel as powerful as she is in the movies. The reason I like Spider-Man as the lead is that he’s flawed in a different sense than tony (and my fav character) it’s not a shot at marvel like your insinuating (sexist or whatever) as I saw that damn movie opening weekend I believe. People can disapprove of captain marvel without it being whatever your insinuating. I hope they add more to her character and I’m sure they will.

Fiege said that’ll humans there are good and bad skrulls so like you said it could be reading too much into it or not. I think the only thing we can say for sure is that they are going intergalactic

Also here’s my. Review of captain marvel
I think they were setting Peter Parker up to be leader of Avengers. If Sokovia Accords are still a thing post-blip, Peter needs to reveal his identity.]

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think they were setting Peter Parker up to be leader of Avengers. If Sokovia Accords are still a thing post-blip, Peter needs to reveal his identity.]

The Sokovia accords really weren't about keeping their identities secret either. That might've been an element, I'm not sure, but no one really had a secret identity beyond Spider-Man, everyone is pretty out in the open. Which is something I think people forget, this isn't like the comics, that's not as much of a thing anymore. It still was for Spider-Man and I'm sure they'll explore that but going forward I don't see much of an issue. The bigger thing was that people think he's a villain now.

Anyway, loved the movie, definitely my favorite Spider-Man one yet, and definitely reassured me that the MCU will do just fine without the original Avengers.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I didn’t like them revealing Parker’s identity really either because unlike the comics trying to roll that back will be nigh impossible.

I do hope they go with Spider-Man as one of the leaders of not the leader of the next set of avengers cause I don’t like that role for captain marvel

Dude, Talos could easily pose as Peter Parker with Peter in suit or vice versa. Set up a presser with Fury and he'll tell it was doctored footage.

Why the hell would Falcon, Bucky, T'Challa, Wanda or any other future Avenger accept a 16-18 year old kid with a couple of years of superhero experience under his belt over people with far more experience?

Also, Galactic??? Fiege??? Dude....

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
That version of the character is a lot more fun than the amazing spidey or the Sam Raimi versions were. The film, on the other hand, not so much. I liked the first one a lot more. This one dragged in building Mysterio's character and power, and in the end not for much.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
So I was really enjoying the movie until my Son started throwing up all over the theater . I had to leave in the middle of the London battle. Wad I miss??

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
That version of the character is a lot more fun than the amazing spidey or the Sam Raimi versions were. The film, on the other hand, not so much. I liked the first one a lot more. This one dragged in building Mysterio's character and power, and in the end not for much.

Considering how the mid-credits end, that was actually for a lot.

Granted, it irritates me that it wasn't in the actual movie but you know

Sep 19, 2008
Deliberating between seeing this at 10 AM or 1:25 PM.

Must get this shirt.

file_aac94647.jpeg

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Considering how the mid-credits end, that was actually for a lot.

Granted, it irritates me that it wasn't in the actual movie but you know

I meant that
Mysterio, as cool as he was, wasn't much of a foe and should have pose a greater threat... The mid-credit scene doesn't make Mysterio a more intimidating character (anybody and their uncle could have framed and identified Parker), he just felt a little flat given then time spent on building the character.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I meant that
Mysterio, as cool as he was, wasn't much of a foe and should have pose a greater threat... The mid-credit scene doesn't make Mysterio a more intimidating character (anybody and their uncle could have framed and identified Parker), he just felt a little flat given then time spent on building the character.

He was a damn good threat to Spider-Man, and that's all he was trying to be. He wasn't supposed to be some huge threat overall. He was just trying to fool people.

Reactions: Seedtype

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Saw it last night. Overall I enjoyed it but wasn’t my favorite Spidey film or anything. Parts of FFH felt a little too comic booky in not a good way. The “baby mountain goats” scene is probably the best example. Holland really has a chance to show himself in Homecoming, too. The scene where he’s trapped under rubble and you could see him as a child, scared and overwhelmed, was so well done. There’s no moment like that in FFH. Gyllenhaal chews up every scene, though, in a really good way. It’s a fun comic book movie, not quite what it’s predecessor was but still enjoyable.

Sep 19, 2008
That mid credits scene
with the return of j Jonah Jameson in sensationalist media was hilarious. Almost positive it was the same actor from prior movies which was great. Cross universe :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad