Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I enjoyed most of this but yeah it felt very slow and oddly paced. Everything was very predictable and the humor was actually kinda bad. Still enjoyed it but I think I liked the first one more.

I think they missed the mark on the trailers with this one. They basically showed too much, making it very easy to guess how the plot was going to go or telegraphed everything. Also they showed the funniest bits on the trailers which meant that they weren't funny while watching the actual movie. I also felt a lot of the jokes in the first half just didn't hit the mark, too much teen humor or something. To me it's become apparent that Marvel need to take the Endgame approach with their trailers on future movies and keep stuff hidden or use deception more (deleted/cut footage). when you're not that surprised anymore in the theater, someone's done a poor job.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think they missed the mark on the trailers with this one. They basically showed too much, making it very easy to guess how the plot was going to go or telegraphed everything. Also they showed the funniest bits on the trailers which meant that they weren't funny while watching the actual movie. I also felt a lot of the jokes in the first half just didn't hit the mark, too much teen humor or something. To me it's become apparent that Marvel need to take the Endgame approach with their trailers on future movies and keep stuff hidden or use deception more (deleted/cut footage). when you're not that surprised anymore in the theater, someone's done a poor job.

To be fair, the marketing for this movie is on Sony. And they’re notorious for spoiling things in trailers. And if you look it up, there was a large amount of people mad at Sony because they did exactly what you said wanted them to, where they edited things or had things in the trailers that weren’t in the movie.

I wasn’t surprised by the twists in this movie, but I was surprised by how they did the twists. I actually had the whole movie spoiled for me, but I really enjoyed how they explained things. I mean, predictable is kind of how superhero movies are for the most part.

I agree with the humor in the first half of the movie, though. It didn’t really click for me. Didn’t take me out of the movie either, but I didn’t love it.

Reactions: LarKing

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think there's gonna be a Mary Jane. That's the whole point. Marvel Studios seems like they're trying to stay as far away from the Spidey we all know probably to avoid comparison to the Rami trilogy (i mean it's been done already too, why not be a bit different.) Hence why Aunt May isn't 200 years old or Uncle Ben straight up doesn't exist.

The next movie is allegedly taking place during his last year of high school so MJ is kinda the new love interest.

I personally don't have an issue with it. If you're gonna go all in on a new-ish retelling of Spiderman, you go all in on it. Don't try and play halfway between old and new

Then why name her MJ? If you want to create an entirely new love interest for Peter, don't half-ass it by still keeping the same nickname

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Personally I loved the movie. Spider-Man has long been my favourite character in the Marvel universe (probably because I grew up watching the cartoon), so to have such a likeable version of him on screen is really refreshing. I also think that both Micheal Keaton and Jake Gyllenhaal have been absolutely fantastic opposite him in his standalone movies so that helps a lot. A hero is only as good as his villain, or something.

But really, I'm usually not too fond of straying toooooo far from the comics, but they've done a wonderful job with this Spidey. I'm really looking forward to the evolution of this series, and I hope they keep up the high quality.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It wasn't bad but it was on the low end of Marvel movies for me.

The humor, for Marvel standards, was bad. Like, there were multiple times where you could tell they were trying to be funny and just weren't. MJ, although thankfully toned down from the last movie, was still insufferable.

After seeing the movie, Gyllenhaal was the perfect cast. He's particularly fantastic at playing the "Unstable" role. I wouldn't be surprised if that cast was inspired by his performance in Nightcrawler.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’m honestly just stunned how many people liked Mysterio and jakes performance. I’ll have to re-evaluate it when I watch it again but for me he came across as fake cheesy in the first part and not menacing enough in the second part.

Ps. What’s the time line before we can talk details of the movie without using spoiler tags?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I’m honestly just stunned how many people liked Mysterio and jakes performance. I’ll have to re-evaluate it when I watch it again but for me he came across as fake cheesy in the first part and not menacing enough in the second part.

Ps. What’s the time line before we can talk details of the movie without using spoiler tags?

I think he was supposed to be less menacing and more unstable.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Finally saw it. I liked it for the most part. The biggest thing I have to complain about is all the school trip stuff. The students and teachers weren't funny. Instead they were just bad attempts to be cringey or dumb funny and it failed. I get that's supposed to be the point of Flash, and that smarmy rich d-bags are kind of the new age jock bully, but what's the excuse with the teachers? They're supposed to be at a reasonably elite specialty school, but the teachers act like the worst idiot burnouts that you usually see in sitcoms about the worst public school in the district, one that's so bad it has to hire the staff other schools wouldn't touch with a 30-foot pole simply because it can't afford to be picky at all.

I still don't like that Michelle is this universe's Mary Jane, but at least she was likeable and better when she wasn't putting on that stupid "cynical disaffected loner with a pithy quip or snide remark for everything." act that was basically 100% of her character in the first movie. Stuff like her and Peter talking on the bridge when she accuses him of being Spider-Man (which I'm not putting in spoilers because it was in the trailer) was actually good because she acted like a real person and not a jaded snark machine. I'm hoping that part of her personality is even more out of focus by the next movie and she just continues to open up and come out of her shell to be a more engaging and relatable person. Because that's like half of the whole point of her character (she's Peter's tether to keep him anchored to the real world with all the insanity that happens around him. I find it harder to see her in that role when half of her dialogue makes her sound like an unhinged weirdo)

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC

Well yeah, he was trying to become “the” superhero

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
With the reveals yesterday, none of which hint at any specific Spider-Man appearances, it makes me wonder how long it'll be before we see Spidey again

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
With the reveals yesterday, none of which hint at any specific Spider-Man appearances, it makes me wonder how long it'll be before we see Spidey again

Phase 5 is only two years away so it could be sooner than thought. D23 May have more info. Plus they may be waiting to see it cross a bill so they have total creative control before they announce it.

Reactions: mymerlincat

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Whenever I saw Jake Gyllenhaal in this movie, I swear I thought it was Henrik Zetterberg every single effin' time.

Liked the movie, but didn't love it from the first one. A big problem I had is there was a very big over-dramatized aspect throughout the film. I get that it was necessary since Mysterio is all about the theatrics. However, the problem I had was with the amount of CGI fighting. It's not just Marvel, but studios in general are using so much of it nowadays since it's cheap that it ruins scenes where it doesn't really need it. That and I think they tried to pack a bit too much into this and it sort of made it over-complicated even with a linear storyline when it didn't need to.

Still was good, absolutely loved Mysterio and that made a big part of it. Might need to see it again to have more accurate thoughts; for example I didn't really enjoy the second installment of Fantastic Beasts at the theatres. Nonetheless, when I watched it again I thought it was actually a fantastic film on the second time even though it jumps around a lot (which this movies does a bit of the same).

For somebody who has no clue, what was the post-credit scene about with Fury? Does it have any direct implication on a future film or no?

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree with the CGI issues overwhelming recent blockbusters.

Seph said:
For somebody who has no clue, what was the post-credit scene about with Fury? Does it have any direct implication on a future film or no?

There's a very important Marvel storyline involving an interstellar war that incidentally also involved the X-men.

Reactions: S E P H

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Sony is the one that will announce anything on Spider-Man.

If 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Doesn't Make a Billion Dollars, Sony Breaks Free of the Marvel Studios Deal

In a recent edition of journalist Richard Rushfield’s entertainment industry newsletter The Ankler, Rushfield peels back the secretive curtain of the deal that was signed between Sony and Marvel Studios back in 2015 to share the character. “The original Sony/Marvel/Spidey deal to co-produce these movies stipulated that if this Spidey cleared a billion, Marvel would get to oversee a third. If it hadn’t, full control would have reverted back to Sony,” he writes

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sony isn't the smartest but I still couldn't see them pulling out of this now or for a long time. Their property might be the biggest face of the biggest movie franchise in history and they'd choose to leave?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Guys, it was probably something in their original agreement intended for the scenario that the MCU Spider-Man didn’t go well. That way they had an “opt out” clause if these movies weren’t being received well. I’m of the opinion they’d probably stay with the MCU even if it didn’t crack a billion based on how well it’s being received.

However, no need to worry, as this movie is basically a sure thing to crack a billion. Will probably be there by the weekend.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Guys, it was probably something in their original agreement intended for the scenario that the MCU Spider-Man didn’t go well. That way they had an “opt out” clause if these movies weren’t being received well. I’m of the opinion they’d probably stay with the MCU even if it didn’t crack a billion based on how well it’s being received.

However, no need to worry, as this movie is basically a sure thing to crack a billion. Will probably be there by the weekend.

I think people would be in a uproar if Sony decided to take back Spiderman right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad