Movies: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th, 2019)

Sep 19, 2008
Posted some of this in the "last movie" thread. Another very solid Marvel flick. The strength -- almost across the whole MCU -- remains their casting. They don't miss very often on picking their heroes and villains. Holland is a home run. Gyllenhaal is an amusing and meta counterpart and his story is one of the more clever ideas any of these movies have had.

My biggest complaint, as always, is that the movies are almost always too bloated, too long. It's not quite like it needs to lose scenes exactly, its more that many scenes (a lot of the action TBH) just need to be tightened. Sometimes it just goes on and on and on for no other purpose than continued CGI *******.

Still, they make me smile more often than not.

You don't even notice the length of the movie when you're sitting feet up high in a theater recliner eating chicken tendies :laugh:

Same with Endgame. People complained about the length, man I sat in the recliner all movie without moving or going to the bathroom. Time passes by really fast.

Sep 19, 2008
Was doing some research on Youtube and Reddit and apparently the old Fox shows I grew up watching had the Insidious Six (better known as the Sinister Six) and I would definitely like to see them go in that direction in future movies. Although I don't see much of a point when
Peter has basically been doxxed

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Was doing some research on Youtube and Reddit and apparently the old Fox shows I grew up watching had the Insidious Six (better known as the Sinister Six) and I would definitely like to see them go in that direction in future movies. Although I don't see much of a point when
Peter has basically been doxxed

On that issue:

During the whole Superhuman registration act storyline in Marvel, wasn't Spider Man one of the heroes who voluntarily outed himself? So it's not really out of sync with what was going on in the comics.

I guess it kind of messes up the high-school storyline a bit which makes me think they'll try and put the genie back in the bottle in the next film.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Went to this with my daughter. I am not a marvel per say. Went in knowing nothing about Mysterio. Immediately, I could tell something wasn't right in Venice.

Good movie.

Reactions: Roman Fell

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
So Mysterio was using different tech for his holograms before then upgraded Edith to do the same when he got them right?

But when MJ found one of the pieces the guy working with Mysterio said one of the drones must have gotten damaged... so maybe he had access to some of the drones already?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So Mysterio was using different tech for his holograms before then upgraded Edith to do the same when he got them right?

But when MJ found one of the pieces the guy working with Mysterio said one of the drones must have gotten damaged... so maybe he had access to some of the drones already?

My understanding is that he had access to some of this already, but Edith just allowed him to make the "threat" way bigger. And the bigger of a threat he takes down, the better he looks.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Regarding the first mid-credit scene..

I am not sure if they will stick with Peter's identity being revealed or not. I personally assume they will, but I've seen mention they could try and use the Skrulls to undo that. Just have one of them transform into Peter, and then have him swing by as Spider-Man. Doubt they'll go that route, but we shall see. I think that's going to add a very interesting aspect to Peter/Spider-Man moving forward, so I hope they stick with it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Doesn't Make a Billion Dollars, Sony Breaks Free of the Marvel Studios Deal

In a recent edition of journalist Richard Rushfield’s entertainment industry newsletter The Ankler, Rushfield peels back the secretive curtain of the deal that was signed between Sony and Marvel Studios back in 2015 to share the character. “The original Sony/Marvel/Spidey deal to co-produce these movies stipulated that if this Spidey cleared a billion, Marvel would get to oversee a third. If it hadn’t, full control would have reverted back to Sony,” he writes.

Good thing this movie is very likely to hit a billion.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Can you imagine how stressed the Marvel execs must have been over the past few weeks?

Maybe. There could have been more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I am not totally sold that Sony would have pulled out for sure even if it didn't make a billion. I think that was put in there just in case the MCU version of Spider-Man wasn't working, which obviously isn't the case.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I liked it, not my favorite MCU movie but in the top half for sure. I like how the actually answered questions from the Blib etc that people had, like Marvel was anticipating it. Mysterio was actually also well done, more modern and gave him and his gang a different motivator for them doing what they are doing.

Also nice to see the reference to him and his photography towards the end of the movie finally bringing is biggest non villain rival in J.J. Jameson.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Mysterio was awesome. It helped the got a world class actor in Jake Gyllenhall to play his role, but the way they modernized him from the hokey failed actor he initially was in the comics/cartoons was pretty cool. IDK if i'd put him ahead of Alfred Molina's Doc Ock but it's damn close in terms of the best depiction of a spiderman villain on the big screen.

Dorky, smartalec Spidey is starting to grow on me. Really did not at all care for Homecoming but for whatever reason between this, and him showing up in Avengers and whatnot i think helped.

Now the question is where they go from here? The credits scene doesn't really set up anything outside of blowing Peter's identity.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I honestly didn't think this movie was very good. It was ok but I expected much better. The first half was meh. The mid twist was quite obvious. It picked up in the second half but overall I don't think it was better than the first one.

Also, the actress that plays MJ is horrible

Reactions: dr robbie

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Mysterio was awesome. It helped the got a world class actor in Jake Gyllenhall to play his role, but the way they modernized him from the hokey failed actor he initially was in the comics/cartoons was pretty cool. IDK if i'd put him ahead of Alfred Molina's Doc Ock but it's damn close in terms of the best depiction of a spiderman villain on the big screen.

Dorky, smartalec Spidey is starting to grow on me. Really did not at all care for Homecoming but for whatever reason between this, and him showing up in Avengers and whatnot i think helped.

Now the question is where they go from here? The credits scene doesn't really set up anything outside of blowing Peter's identity.

I just loved Mysterio. It made the movie for me. I had no idea how they’d adopt the comic book version of him... but the way they did it definitely “hit” for me. Guess it helps that I fricken love Gyellenhaal.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I honestly didn't think this movie was very good. It was ok but I expected much better. The first half was meh. The mid twist was quite obvious. It picked up in the second half but overall I don't think it was better than the first one.

I personally love this version of MJ, but I think that’s because I identify with her. Very sarcastic, dry sense of humor. All the characters seem like they fit the modern culture.

I didn’t love Homecoming, so I definitely have this is front of that one. But I do like how the 2 movies have given us 2 different versions of Spider-Man.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I personally love this version of MJ, but I think that’s because I identify with her. Very sarcastic, dry sense of humor. All the characters seem like they fit the modern culture.

I didn’t love Homecoming, so I definitely have this is front of that one. But I do like how the 2 movies have given us 2 different versions of Spider-Man.

Regarding MJ in this universe, what I don't get is who she really is. She isn't Mary Jane, because she was referred to as Michelle in Homecoming. What's going to happen when they bring in Mary Jane but avoid calling her MJ?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh

I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I went with 3 marvel buddies of mine and all but one of us agreed it was Thor Dark World / IM3 level - decent movie, but bottom tier for Marvel. Felt like I was watching a TV rom com the whole time. The jokes weren't very funny and the ones that were were way overdone (peter tingle... for the 5th time). I also didn't believe the whole "I'm going to tell my whole plot" at the bar scene with Mysterio, which took me out of it. I did enjoy the action scenes, especially the train one. Final battle was so so. Overall, it was okay, but easily forgettable. It really surprises me how much others seem to love it.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I went with 3 marvel buddies of mine and all but one of us agreed it was Thor Dark World / IM3 level - decent movie, but bottom tier for Marvel. Felt like I was watching a TV rom com the whole time. The jokes weren't very funny and the ones that were were way overdone (peter tingle... for the 5th time). I also didn't believe the whole "I'm going to tell my whole plot" at the bar scene with Mysterio, which took me out of it. I did enjoy the action scenes, especially the train one. Final battle was so so. Overall, it was okay, but easily forgettable. It really surprises me how much others seem to love it.

The action scenes in the MCU are always very well done, but I just didn't think this movie was all that great. It wasn't Spider-Man 3 bad, but I think they definitely missed the boat on this one

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I have mixed feeling about this.

Mysterio was fantastic and his whole plot was good. I just really hated the whole school trip thing and how ridiculous it got at some times with the teachers being criminally idiotic. Also felt there was pacing issues due to the constant location switching.

Overall I enjoyed it but I hope they go back to a good classic Spiderman story next and not try too hard to tie it into the Avengers like this one did

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I enjoyed most of this but yeah it felt very slow and oddly paced. Everything was very predictable and the humor was actually kinda bad. Still enjoyed it but I think I liked the first one more.

Reactions: Jussi

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Still enjoyed it but I think I liked the first one more.

yeah Homecoming is up there with my very favourite MCU films.

im not sure where id have this one. somewhere in the middle. Mysterio really saved it for me. the big illusion scene was incredible

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Regarding MJ in this universe, what I don't get is who she really is. She isn't Mary Jane, because she was referred to as Michelle in Homecoming. What's going to happen when they bring in Mary Jane but avoid calling her MJ?

I don't think there's gonna be a Mary Jane. That's the whole point. Marvel Studios seems like they're trying to stay as far away from the Spidey we all know probably to avoid comparison to the Rami trilogy (i mean it's been done already too, why not be a bit different.) Hence why Aunt May isn't 200 years old or Uncle Ben straight up doesn't exist.

The next movie is allegedly taking place during his last year of high school so MJ is kinda the new love interest.

I personally don't have an issue with it. If you're gonna go all in on a new-ish retelling of Spiderman, you go all in on it. Don't try and play halfway between old and new

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad