Spezza on waivers?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So what the hell to people want? lol

Define toughness for me in a way that "being tough" would effect the outcome of a hockey game in your favour other than physicality?

If you're talking about mental fortitude then sure they need to be mentally tough, but changing one or two guys doesn't change the whole team and we have to see what happens at playoff time to evaluate that.

If you're talking about being hard on the puck and not giving it up then yes we need to be more consistent.

If you're talking about getting in pointless scrums after the whistles or fighting guys for no reason after clean hits then I would disagree big time.

All of these things are trumped by skill, and if this team plays to their abilities they can beat anybody.

You have to retaliate after any hits on your stars and any cheap hits. You cannot have the Konecnys, Dillons, Carters and Petrys of the league taking runs at Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly and Andy without a response.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think he gets traded to a team he wants to play for (instead of waivers). One thing that sucks with giving Spezza away is we no longer have a guy who can fill in at 3C if one of the top 3 centres go down. Yeah shore fills the 4th role better, but he can’t play up in the lineup like Spezza.
How soon they forget.....
william-nylander-cornrows.jpg

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How soon they forget.....
william-nylander-cornrows.jpg

I just wish sometimes I didn't have to see him doing that during the game. This should be the Muskoka 3s flag. It's just so perfect. On a serious note I would rather WN at C.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Spezza's glacial and a liability in the defensive end. He's a decent depth option when one of the top 3 centers are out of the lineup.

He'll probably clear waivers. If he decides to stick around, he will most likely get more games later.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Shore is a classic example of an NHLer who is completely unremarkable. He's neither bad nor good. The coach can be comfortable sending him out because he won't try a low percentage play. I'd say the chances of him being exactly what he is right now in 40 games is very high.

Timashov is a classic example of a player doing everything and beyond to stay in the league. The effort and bravery have been mighty impressive but don't seem sustainable. No way that he'd clear waivers, half of the NHL are looking for kids willing to go through a wall to keep their NHL gig.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has the question been answered, was he put on waivers?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So what the hell to people want? lol

Define toughness for me in a way that "being tough" would effect the outcome of a hockey game in your favour other than physicality?

If you're talking about mental fortitude then sure they need to be mentally tough, but changing one or two guys doesn't change the whole team and we have to see what happens at playoff time to evaluate that.

If you're talking about being hard on the puck and not giving it up then yes we need to be more consistent.

If you're talking about getting in pointless scrums after the whistles or fighting guys for no reason after clean hits then I would disagree big time.

All of these things are trumped by skill, and if this team plays to their abilities they can beat anybody.

This does seem to be a club that teams think they can rattle if they come out hitting. A team that is perceived as unable to handle that type of game. I have seen games where that appears true and certainly they don't have a lineup that can ever initiate that sort of a game.

Two different toughness arguments, as we can can take the fighter at the end of the bench away in 2019.

One is that an opposition player can erase a Leaf star with impunity. We have seen that is true. These Leafs don't answer the bell and the guys going the running usually aren't particularly tough guys. They don't scrum around the cheap shot guy or knock him down, or throw a big hit themselves the next shift to show they can play that way as well. To a lesser extent the opposition can stand in front of the net and not get knocked around, and will expect a stick check from 5 of the 7 D the Leafs use.

The other is the lineup will only play one way, sink or swim, hoping for a track meet. They will never initiate a physical game to soften up a smaller team or wear down the other clubs D. They don't have a D that rubs players off the puck and leaves them sitting on the ice in the corner. Kind of the opposite of what we see as playoff hockey

Softs as kittens yeah, but it is a softer game these days. I think Babs would have the guys play tougher if he had the lineup, but he doesn't. I don't know that Dubas doesn't see this as well but if you go out desperate for a certain type of player you get scalped more often than not. I think a couple of players can make a difference. I would love to move Barrie out and a less skilled but more physical guy in but those guys are rare and expensive. I would love move out one of of Willie, Kap or AJ out for a much more physical guy who can play decent minutes but you kind of want to move out the worst value player and I have no idea who that is right now.

... if this team plays to their abilities they can beat anybody... who wants to play Leafs hockey. I agree at the top of their game that can beat any club on a given night, but I think they are a bit too one dimensional to translate that to multiple playoff series wins. The lineup lacks balance.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I hope not. IMO Babs will insist on keeping Shore over Timo. That leaves Timo or Marincin as the 21st player. Nuts if they do not put Marincin on waivers because they want to carry 7 D.

Well dubas will have to overule babs then. Babs cant have his way when it means losing a player for a now and the future over a 1 year show me deal rental.

edit: if babs seriously chose Shore over timashov then that is borderline fire able offense on its own then couple it with his other terrible decisions. You cant keep a guy because "faceoffs" he adds absolutely zero else to the team

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I hope not. IMO Babs will insist on keeping Shore over Timo. That leaves Timo or Marincin as the 21st player. Nuts if they do not put Marincin on waivers because they want to carry 7 D.

I doubt Babs would keep Shore over Timashov. If either him or Dubas is that dumb, than this franchise is doomed

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well dubas will have to overule babs then. Babs cant have his way when it means losing a player for a now and the future over a 1 year show me deal rental.
why have a GM and a coach that appear to be diametrically oppose to each other, wouldn't have everyone paddling in the same direction make more sense?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
you went out of your way to find the female bear i see because he is not only soft but a girl, that's so funny!!!!!!!!!
if your going to use humor to make your point you go full humor for maximum effect, besides there's nothing wrong with a man wearing a skirt is there?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
you went out of your way to find the female bear i see because he is not only soft but a girl, that's so funny!!!!!!!!!

Now apply that same type of mentality to hockey, and a lot of posts around here are suddenly better explained.

Reactions: Walshy7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad