Spezza on waivers?

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
I am so confused with what's going on. I hear that he is being waived to make room for Hyman.
Dubas is all over the map. Wasn't he the one who wanted him in the first place? Why did they bother signing him then?
There have been so many changes to the roster this year, it will be months before we get some chemistry.
I don't get it.
Dubas statistic analysis and giving $ away is really wearing thin

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I am so confused with what's going on. I hear that he is being waived to make room for Hyman.
Dubas is all over the map. Wasn't he the one who wanted him in the first place? Why did they bother signing him then?
There have been so many changes to the roster this year, it will be months before we get some chemistry.
I don't get it.
Is he on waivers?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He is not on waivers as of yet.

There are "rumours" that he might be waived.

That's all for now.

---------------------------------

Older players get signed for cheap, with the hopes that they can contribute somehow. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, it's a gamble. Didn't work out this time, but that didn't make it a bad attempt either.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
In the event things boil down to dropping Spezza or Shore, Dubas will be waiving (trading?) a player he brought to the organization either way. Not sure how tight the situation would be, but Shore is 50K more against the cap IIRC. Guess we'll see what happens when a decision is ultimately made.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean, sucks for him, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this decision. He didn't fit, and GM and coach going to war over a 4th line center would be just stupid.

Reactions: nwarrior

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The fact that Spezza signed for 700,000 kinda shows there wasn't great interest in him last summer. The emergence of Gauthier even Shore at centre....and wingers Mikheyvov and Timashov, no room for Spezza.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I don't get it.
Just because you made moves , trades , acquisitions etc before the season started and throughout the year doesn’t equate to keeping , holding on or staying the course afterwards and down the road ..
It’s the nature of sports
Things change
Personal surprises you or disappoints you ,
necessities change depending on standings and where you are at different stages in your development and on and on
This is the same in this sport with every team and other sports .
Take a look at QBs all over , look at the greatness of back ups after they take over that alter your franchise for years to come
Prime example
Brady nuff said

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Try to trade him, if you can't waive him

Seems like a decent dude but that's pro sports, just an unfortunate Set of circumstances if your a nice tenderhearted person, I'm not so I don't care :laugh:

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Spezza looks good sometimes because he still has good puck skills but that's not enough.

Shore and Gauthier are more effective players
I know Shore brings the face off element to the team , but other than that , mehhhhhhh
I’m not impressed in the slightest
Has to be someone else that can crash and bang and bring energy to that line like Tima or others

Reactions: Cobra777

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I mean is it really a big deal?

The dude hasnt done anything to prove he 100% belongs in the lineup. He's a 700K signing.

We took a chance. Didnt pan out. Now we move on. Only reason it's even getting headlines is just due to his name

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I really hope Shore and Marincin are the other 2 gone.

Petan might be the easiest to trade out of the bunch because he's clearly the best player out of the bunch and has the most potential to make an impact.

Reactions: Cobra777

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Can anyone seriously say he deserves to be in the lineup based on his play this year? The team thought he had another year left in him, he clearly doesn't, so they might dump him to free up a roster spot. Seems like a fair move to me.
I can say it! He's better than Shore. Gauthier can only dream of being as skillful. If babs isn't gonna use him,then it is best that Spezza goes elsewhere. babs doesn't like players like Spezza...made it obvious.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I don't get it.

Your thoughts are all over the place. Let me try to answer your questions.

1) The philosophy of the Leafs and Dubas has always been to make the team a competitive environment. The bottom-6, mainly the 4th line, will always be changing from year to year for us.

We will call up players from the AHL and sign a bunch of undervalued guys to very cheap 1 year contracts and let them fight it out (Hence the competitiveness of the bottom-6). This year we signed Spezza, Shore, Agostino, Read, Aberg and brought up Timashov, Petan to fight for the 4th line spots beside Gauthier.

2) What are you upset about with chemistry? We've been missing Hyman/Tavares for the majority of the season, the lines were going to change anyways.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
The fact that Spezza signed for 700,000 kinda shows there wasn't great interest in him last summer. The emergence of Gauthier even Shore at centre....and wingers Mikheyvov and Timashov, no room for Spezza.
There was lots of interest in Spezza and he's been good in limited time. 9 pts in 4 games. Lost a step but elite hands and strong leadership which the team sorely needs esp come playoffs. He'll easily get claimed.

This is Babs doing. The stubborn git doesn't fancy him even tho he's been better than his precious Goat.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
But, with a 21 man roster the options are keeping Marincin or Shore over him. He is better than either player. I am kind of confused at his usage of Shore so far to be honest. He has 5 shots on goal and 1 point in 13 games. Spezza has 16 shots on goal and 4 points and a SO goal in 9 games and he can play up the lineup like we saw with Tavares out. His stat line doesn't scream done and he would be snatched up on waivers quite easily. I'm not sure we can say the same about either of the other players. There have been reports about Marincin and Petan on the block so I take it there out, so it comes down to Shore and Spezza. When you also factor how waiving Spezza would look to future FA's looking to do what he did, it seems like a no-brainer and a move we'd instantly regret by waiving him. I'm not sure why it would even be a discussion.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Damn this Dubas, no idea what he's doing. First he's choosing to comply with the salary cap by waiving the necessary players. Then he's willing to make updated decisions rather than keeping a guy because he made a choice in July. Next he's willing to screw with the chemistry by removing the guy who was in the press box and only was playing games because others were hurt, and finally he's just burned 700 thousand dollars. It's like he thinks we're not Ottawa or something. Can't wait until someone takes away the keys from this guy making all these crazy decisions that will basically ruin us.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
How many players do we have to get rid of when Hyman comes back?

3 or 4?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->