Spezza on waivers?

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
So many problems solved by trading Hyman. And not because Petan/Marincin. We simply don't need him. At all.

Nice to see Marner endorse Petan though..... when it was Marner's greed that squeezed Petan out of here. And whoever's the next domino to fall. But feel better, because Mitch will really praise you on the way out the door! Team guy!

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The one positive for Spezza I'd think is the fact that Dubas picks the roster and not Babcock. If Babcock was in control we would have waived Holl by now. Dubas protected him. He may do the same with Spezza despite his love for Shore.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The one positive for Spezza I'd think is the fact that Dubas picks the roster and not Babcock. If Babcock was in control we would have waived Holl by now. Dubas protected him. He may do the same with Spezza despite his love for Shore.
Even Dubas can see Spezza is older and slower this year.

It was a no risk deal.

He will be waived like the rest of them.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Petan and Marancin on waivers today

Both cleared waivers with no takers and Spezza on waivers would likely it make it 3 for 3.

Teams that consider themselves Cup contenders shouldn't be filled with players on the roster that nobody else think are viable NHL options, or that they already have better options themselves.

So the more of these marginal players that get dropped theoretically should be making the Leafs better.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Really don't understand why people think Spezza has been bad. Spezza has been very good. He has carried the flow of play in a dominant fashion, despite the very defensive deployment. 57% CF on 60% defensive zone starts is as good as it gets, guys. You haven't noticed him much on the ice because he's just doing all of the right things.

Gauthier, on the other hand, has had his shit pushed in. In what is probably one of the most skewed deployments of any player in the modern NHL (<22% offensive zone starts), but he's not doing well with it at all -- 43.5% ES CF.

Reactions: hector morrison

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
So many problems solved by trading Hyman. And not because Petan/Marincin. We simply don't need him. At all.

Nice to see Marner endorse Petan though..... when it was Marner's greed that squeezed Petan out of here. And whoever's the next domino to fall. But feel better, because Mitch will really praise you on the way out the door! Team guy!

So name one then.

What are all the problems that get solved by moving Hyman?

Reactions: Jmo89

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I get the thinking at the time of signing but things have changed for sure. He has no place on the 4th line and he's not replace Kerfoot as 3rd line C so..

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Id waive shore, Spezza can be used in any Top 9 centre position if injuries occur, which he did and did fairly well.

Shore also most likely wouldnt get claimed. Lets show some loyalty to a guy who took the lesgue minimum to play for us...If spezza is waived its a questionable move to me.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
So name one then.

What are all the problems that get solved by moving Hyman?

I've been frustrated by Babcock's use of Hyman at times, but I agree with you. He does alot more good than bad. I'd rather see Johnsson or Kapanen go before Hyman (not that I'd want any to go, but if I had to choose.)

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The Leafs have worse players than Spezza to get rid of. That move in the shootout alone means I keep him. Our shootout players are by and large pathetic. Plus he's good at faceoffs. Easily enough to keep him on the team.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
The Leafs have worse players than Spezza to get rid of. That move in the shootout alone means I keep him. Our shootout players are by and large pathetic. Plus he's good at faceoffs. Easily enough to keep him on the team.

faceoffs would be the last thing i would ever look at to keep a guy on the team . Unfourtunatly, he sucks at this point in his career. he was never "quick" and hes like watching paint dry out there.
at this point shore would be the first guy i get rid of but spezza would be first person i sent to the pressbox.

half the guys we have in the marlies would be a better option then those 2 guys

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Really don't understand why people think Spezza has been bad. Spezza has been very good. He has carried the flow of play in a dominant fashion, despite the very defensive deployment. 57% CF on 60% defensive zone starts is as good as it gets, guys. You haven't noticed him much on the ice because he's just doing all of the right things.

Gauthier, on the other hand, has had his **** pushed in. In what is probably one of the most skewed deployments of any player in the modern NHL (<22% offensive zone starts), but he's not doing well with it at all -- 43.5% ES CF.

So the analytics have caught up to the eye test with GOAT

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Goat's analytics could be on the 2019-20 Islanders. Most of their forwards are in the low 40's. What's their record again? I guess this means the Leafs will badly outshoot the Isles in the next game regardless of the results.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Marner injury likely impacts Spezza more than any other Leaf player, as now he will not be waived to make room for Hyman's return, but rather be the injury replacement for Marner instead while he is out on LTIR.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The Goat's analytics could be on the 2019-20 Islanders. Most of their forwards are in the low 40's. What's their record again? I guess this means the Leafs will badly outshoot the Isles in the next game regardless of the results.
Amazing what real goaltending can do for a teams stats!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He’s done essentially nothing for longer than we care to admit. Timo has nobody to make plays with, he and Shore are black holes.

And how useful is Timo when he only plays 7-8 mins on the 4th line with no PP or PK?
Really need to be good on faceoffs, play PK or PP, or hit a bit to be an effective 4th liner.

that is a horribly flawed 4th line at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad