Spezza on waivers?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There was lots of interest in Spezza and he's been good in limited time. 9 pts in 4 games. Lost a step but elite hands and strong leadership which the team sorely needs esp come playoffs. He'll easily get claimed.

This is Babs doing. The stubborn git doesn't fancy him even tho he's been better than his precious Goat.

He's gotta be the first guy ever who was over 2 points per game when he was waived :sarcasm:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I know Shore brings the face off element to the team , but other than that , mehhhhhhh
I’m not impressed in the slightest
Has to be someone else that can crash and bang and bring energy to that line like Tima or others
The sad part about that with Shore is that Spezza has been a beast on faceoffs for 15 years. But, he's been bested by a guy who is a career 50% guy for a sample size of 13 games. Shore doesn't even have faceoffs on his side. He's not a regular on the PK. He is literally useless.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I mean is it really a big deal?

The dude hasnt done anything to prove he 100% belongs in the lineup. He's a 700K signing.

We took a chance. Didnt pan out. Now we move on. Only reason it's even getting headlines is just due to his name
When we lose a top-9 center for a few months it will. Who's filling in next time when he's gone?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
That's one soft lineup !

Agreed. Imagine if Babcock plays shore over Timashov just how much more softer we'll be.

Personally, think we're a Johnsson replaced by Nick Ritchie type of swap away from being balanced

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The sad part about that with Shore is that Spezza has been a beast on faceoffs for 15 years. But, he's been bested by a guy who is a career 50% guy for a sample size of 13 games. Shore doesn't even have faceoffs on his side. He's not a regular on the PK. He is literally useless.
Couldn’t agree with you more

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I know Shore brings the face off element to the team , but other than that , mehhhhhhh
I’m not impressed in the slightest
Has to be someone else that can crash and bang and bring energy to that line like Tima or others

Shore isnt very good. Spezza over shore I mean come on lol

Reactions: Teeder Keon

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
When we lose a top-9 center for a few months it will. Who's filling in next time when he's gone?

We'll have to call someone up. Not a big deal. Spezza hasnt been great to begin with.

Besides we're probably keeping shore around so gauthier most likely moves into a top 9 role in that case

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Gauthier has cemented himself as the best 4th line option.

If Ottawa claims Spezza, or anyone else, where he gets to play, so be it.

Shore can be the 13th F

Reactions: Eye Test

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We'll have to call someone up. Not a big deal. Spezza hasnt been great to begin with.

Besides we're probably keeping shore around so gauthier most likely moves into a top 9 role in that case
Does that sound like a better set up? They can't keep up offensively in the top-9, Shore can't even on the 4th line so far. Spezza is producing like we thought he would in limited time. I can't find any reason to keep Shore over him. Shore sucks hard, I'm actually surprised it doesn't come up more given the poor start.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Does that sound like a better set up? They can't keep up offensively in the top-9, Shore can't even on the 4th line so far. Spezza is producing like we thought he would in limited time. I can't find any reason to keep Shore over him. Shore sucks hard, I'm actually surprised it doesn't come up more given the poor start.

If Dubas dumps Spezza for Shore all you can do laugh at this point.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
In the off-season he looked an upgrade on Gauthier. With Goat looking passable now, what’s the point of Spezza? With our cap situation borderline ridiculous, he’s gone.

This may be true. Some players though, need another guy breathing down their necks in order to perform optimally. It's impossible to say, and it's not the sole reason I would ever keep a player, but him leaving could make Gauthier comfortable and he might slip. Just a thought.

In the end, if a guy can't keep up with the game and seems to take penalties in the process of trying to, there's no sense hanging him out to dry. Better he try and find a situation. It's tough. I hoped he could bring some veteran leadership and work ethic. He did earn them the extra point against the Flyers.

With his age and former success, it can't be easy for him to just say, "yeah, I'll stick around as a healthy scratch all year until someone gets injured again to get some playing time", and, he may not even be first choice in that scenario.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad