Spezza needs a winger and fast

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Except Heatley's declined substantially since his glory days here. Just doesn't skate as well, won't get into scoring lanes, and lacks effort.

I know that he has declined, but I doubt the chemistry has though. Melnyk makes this idea impossible though.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Spezza has his winger, I think. His name is Mika.

I think that's more hope than anything at this point. I like Mika, but I'm not sure he has the hockey sense to play with Jason or really anyone in the top 6. His offensive instincts and hockey sense are concerning to me and have been since we drafted him.

sensrulz

Nov 12, 2009
Hmmm you do realize that Mika is only 20, he is still growing as a hockey player and I would not say that he has reached his potential at this point. It is not easy to play with Spez especially for a 20 year old who really has not played with him until now. Spez needs someone more seasoned and as you are well aware it is not easy to find chemistry with him as Ryan has shown.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
I think all of the available options/combinations have been exhausted at this point (barring a trade, of course). All that's left to do is pick what has worked the best so far and stick with it, because there's definitely no hope in developing chemistry if you're going to keep changing the lines around.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Speculation is that Spezza is hurt or is playing through something minor.

The way I look at is that Maclean is spreading the offense around to get some people touches early on. I don't think management is worried that much about where the team is in the standings at this point.

Chances are that BM will at least bring a UFA to help out on the top line or at least I hope so.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
People who wanted Couturier will still look to knock Zibby when they can- whether it's nonsense or not.

It seemed for the brief portion of the game that I saw yesterday, that Spezza was taking draws but then moving to the wing.

Stone is going to get called up in a week or two, the guy they said will be Spezza's ideal winger.

They said the same about AP.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Speculation is that Spezza is hurt or is playing through something minor.

The way I look at is that Maclean is spreading the offense around to get some people touches early on. I don't think management is worried that much about where the team is in the standings at this point.

Chances are that BM will at least bring a UFA to help out on the top line or at least I hope so.

I wouldn't be surprised. Once you mess up your back, it's never really 100% again. He does look rather "stiff" out there sometimes; that's usually a good indication the back is aching. Good news is, as long as there's no rips or tears or anything like that, he can play through the pain.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I know that he has declined, but I doubt the chemistry has though. Melnyk makes this idea impossible though.

I know I suggested bringing Heatley back as a "crazy idea" b/c he has chemistry with Spezza - but if we're thinking short term and talking crazy, and we know Michalek is not going to be resigned, how about we bring back Alfie to play on Spezza's RW next season?

1.) It's crazy.
B.) It works for a year.
Watermelon.) It fixes everything.

Just need Lehner to sell him his house back. Lehner can take Anderson's house - cause he's stealing his job anyway. :nod:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
What about Setoguchi? If I remember, he basically took over Heatley's spot on the Sharks once the All-Star started to drop...
Is UFA at the end of this season, depending on where the Jets are at -- might be able to get him for something on a conditional offer involving re-signing?

That or Ladd... and go for Setoguchi in the off-season once Michalek's off the books. (why yes, I am watching Sharks/Jets right now...)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I know I suggested bringing Heatley back as a "crazy idea" b/c he has chemistry with Spezza - but if we're thinking short term and talking crazy, and we know Michalek is not going to be resigned, how about we bring back Alfie to play on Spezza's RW next season?

1.) It's crazy.
B.) It works for a year.
Watermelon.) It fixes everything.

Just need Lehner to sell him his house back. Lehner can take Anderson's house - cause he's stealing his job anyway. :nod:

Bringing Alfie back = not crazy
Bringing Heatley back = one of the craziest hockey moves ever

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
People who wanted Couturier will still look to knock Zibby when they can- whether it's nonsense or not.

It seemed for the brief portion of the game that I saw yesterday, that Spezza was taking draws but then moving to the wing.

They said the same about AP.

People say everybody will play great with Spezza, however, it rarely works out that way. Spezza is a difficult player to play with, there is a lot of stopping & going with him, he is mostly an east/west skater & not a north/south skater. He is also unpredictable & most players have no idea what he is going to do next so are usually not ready for a pass. Greening & Michalek seem to be the only two forwards on this team who seem to be able to play with him consistently, hopefully they will start to click again like they did two yrs ago.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
A 27 year old alfredsson would be perfect :cry:

Seriously though, once he gets back to form/100% healthy, I expect his line to look alot better. And honestly he doesn't need top wingers, he'll produce either way.

pearcey

Jun 14, 2013
Micheal Grabner. Got off to a great start to the season but after the suspension he hasn't played that well. I would try to trade Hoffman, Gryba and a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Lines
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Spezza - Grabner
Conacher - Grant - Zibanejad
Greening - Smith - Neil

Other then a trade I would suggest waiting for Stone. Waiting only gives time for Zibby, Cowen, Wiercoich, Pageau, Conacher, Grant, Ceci, Prince and Turris all time to get better. This team needs another 3 years. Not saying we won't be competitive for the next 3 years but that is when we should be hitting our peak.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People say everybody will play great with Spezza, however, it rarely works out that way. Spezza is a difficult player to play with, there is a lot of stopping & going with him, he is mostly an east/west skater & not a north/south skater. He is also unpredictable & most players have no idea what he is going to do next so are usually not ready for a pass. Greening & Michalek seem to be the only two forwards on this team who seem to be able to play with him consistently, hopefully they will start to click again like they did two yrs ago.

God this is so ridiculous. I've challenged how many people now to give me an example of players being unable to play with Spezza? Seriously, aside from a 2 game stint with Ryan who hasn't worked with Spezza? I listed them before, but let's go again...Havlat, Heatley and Alfredsson had their best career years playing with Spezza, and Alfredsson continued to work well with Spezza beyond that when they were together. Michalek had his best year with Spezza posting 35 goals, Greening was made to look like a potential top 6er, and Butler was made to look like a legit NHL player.

Genuinely interested in hearing about all these players that have such a hard time playing with a difficult point per game centre that has improved the numbers of every player he's ever played with.

mrkevo

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Genuinely interested in hearing about all these players that have such a hard time playing with a difficult point per game centre that has improved the numbers of every player he's ever played with.

Agreed. It amazes me how many people complain about Spezza. He's an elite center with a lot of talent and he is still playing at a point per game pace playing without top wingers. He usually puts up 50+ assists in a full season. How is that difficult to play with?

I do however think he needs to be playing with better wingers to get the most out of him (and however he plays with). It would be better for the team overall especially with the way Turris is playing, this team could be a very dangerous high scoring team.

I would love to aquire a winger from the Flyers. If they continue to struggle I can see them making a few moves. Would love to get ahold of Voracek, Simmonds, Read or B.Schenn. The asking price would probably be way to high though for any of these players.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Maybe Spezza doesn't have an injury but is trying to change his game.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/gordon-as-the-turris-line-goes-so-go-the-senators

But even he acknowledges he needs to be much better in his own end.

“I think that it’s something that I’m working on quite a bit and trying, instead of cheating on the offence, which in the past I’ve been able to do and kind of get away with, try to be more patient through the middle of the ice,” he said. “In turn, I might not get as much offence out of it, but I feel, or we feel, the coaches feel and I feel, that it’ll make my game better overall and make us a better team.
“It’s at the point in my career where you have to make tough adjustments to try to become a better player and it doesn’t happen overnight, but hopefully it makes us a better team, and that’s what I’m looking for.”

It sounds like Maclean is getting some traction on persuading Spezza to play a more responsible. defensive game...something other coaches have tried but it sounds like Spezza is buying in now.
Also interesting that he mentions that he thought he and Michalek played well together and according to the chart below, it is only Spezza and Michalek who have better stats together than apart.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/10/ottawa-sens-captain-jason-spezzas-eye-on-stanley-cup-not-goals

Jason Spezza is determined to be a complete captain.

The biggest part of the job: To lead by example.

No longer is winning the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s scoring leader the priority for the 30-year-old Spezza, instead in his discussions with coach Paul MacLean they’ve determined he’ll be a better player if he works on his defensive game.

“I’m trying to work on other other parts of my game. I may never win a scoring race, but I’m trying to build towards winning a (Stanley) Cup, so these are things you have to go through as a player. (MacLean) has talked to me about that.

“It’s different,” admitted Spezza. “There’s a lot of habits that when your an offensive guy you feel that you can make up for just by scoring.

“In the long-term, it’s good for the team, it’s good for me and there’s definitely some habits in my game that I’m trying to get rid of that hopefully make me a better player.”

“It’s just different a little bit,” said Spezza. “(Saturday) I played with (Michalek) and I thought we played a good game.

“Hopefully, it rounds my game out and when we get down to crunch time that I’m comfortable in playing in more of a defensive role. I think that’s what we’re working towards right now.”

Last edited:

sauce11

Apr 8, 2010
i think spezza is out of shape. call me crazy, but i think he came in this year looking fatter. maybe less training due to rehabbing his back, but i see him coming back into form and carrying his line as the season goes on

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza is fine ....or is this like how Ryan is 'out of shape'

he needs a good winger if we want to compete for the cup

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
God this is so ridiculous. I've challenged how many people now to give me an example of players being unable to play with Spezza? Seriously, aside from a 2 game stint with Ryan who hasn't worked with Spezza? I listed them before, but let's go again...Havlat, Heatley and Alfredsson had their best career years playing with Spezza, and Alfredsson continued to work well with Spezza beyond that when they were together. Michalek had his best year with Spezza posting 35 goals, Greening was made to look like a potential top 6er, and Butler was made to look like a legit NHL player.

BYw0zpRCMAAxHDn.png:large

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I would laugh my butt off for the entire season if Heatley came back. People would boo him until he scored, then all would be forgiven. We have a very funny fan base sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad