Spezza needs a winger and fast

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It is pretty clear that our biggest problem on offense is the lack of a true right wing to play with Spezza. Given enough time I think Ryan and Spezza could gain that chemistry but because we have not had the type of start banking some points is the priority.

I am all for going out and finding someone to fill that role. Michalek hasn't been great but I think he could turn it around. Maybe what is missing on that top line is a veteran who could help shoulder the role of top line minutes. Doesn't have to be an elite winger but someone who could be counted on to get 20 goals 30 assists. No one we have at the present can fill that role scoring wise.

#11 would have been perfect for that role but he's gone.

Seeing as we have a lot of prospects in the system we could probably get away with giving up not much in terms of assets that would affect our on ice product.

I say if we are looking to hit a home run with it, dangle Anderson and a D to see what we can get. Otherwise I would see what a trade involving Cowen could fetch. Borocop is going to be Neil's replacement and plays the way Cowen should.

Come next year we might be able graduate a player from within who will have gained more experience to fill that top line role.

Quick bandaid = Prospal, gaborik, Jagr, Vrbata

Longer term = Simmonds, Hornqvist, Parenteau

Parenteau For Cowen would be a good fit for Both teams.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I look at this team and offense doesn't seem to be the problem. Spezza may or may not look good out there but he's strutting along at ppg no matter who's out there with him.

With how the Turris line is going, Spezza isn't under too much pressure and can focus on slowly get his game going.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No, we need defense badly.

Also, now that Murray got Ryan and it didn't work out, I believe we will see Spezza play with A LOT of players within this organization(Stone, Petersson, Conacher, Zibanejad) before another move will be made.

Murray didn't want to trade 1st round pick(Ceci) for Parenteau, why would he move Cowen for him? Lol.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I look at this team and offense doesn't seem to be the problem. Spezza may or may not look good out there but he's strutting along at ppg no matter who's out there with him.
Yes that's true but we a wating a guy in his prime who should be leading our team in points. it is not good enough that he is a ppg. He has more talent than that and should always be in the top 10 in scoring. Michalek can fill that role on the left good enough but give Spezza someone so he can have fun out there too.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
No, we need defense badly.

Also, now that Murray got Ryan and it didn't work out, I believe we will see Spezza play with A LOT of players within this organization(Stone, Petersson, Conacher, Zibanejad) before another move will be made.

Murray didn't want to trade 1st round pick(Ceci) for Parenteau, why would he move Cowen for him? Lol.

Ceci is going to be a point producing Dman where as Cowen will be a shut down type. With Methot, Borocop, Karlsson, Gryba, and Weircioch needing some more time to gel Philips in a bottom pairing, Cowen could bring us a good return.

We did fine without Cowen in the lineup. He definitly adds something to our D and will probably turn out to be at least a good NHLer, I think our D is not that bad. The pecking order just needs to be finalized.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We need defense more than we need offense. We are fine in our offense department as of right now. We are actually top 10 in the league for goals for at the moment believe it or not. We are one goal ahead of the penguins.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ceci is going to be a point producing Dman where as Cowen will be a shut down type. With Methot, Borocop, Karlsson, Gryba, and Weircioch needing some more time to gel Philips in a bottom pairing, Cowen could bring us a good return.

We did fine without Cowen in the lineup. He definitly adds something to our D and will probably turn out to be at least a good NHLer, I think our D is not that bad. The pecking order just needs to be finalized.

Cowen has way more potential than Borocop, Methot, Gryba, Wiercioch.

However his value right now is the lowest and on par with those guys.

I see no reason why Ottawa trades him. Cowen has looked better lately and management love him. Only way Cowen is moved is for overpayment young player like Voracek, Simmonds, not Parenteau.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Stone is going to get called up in a week or two, the guy they said will be Spezza's ideal winger.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
2004 RW Havlat puts up career high in goals.
2005-09 - "LW" Heatley abandons land every chance he got to go to right face off circle.
2012 RW Michalek scores career high 35 goals.

Spezza's played 8 full seasons in the NHL and spent 6 of them setting up left-handed wickets in the right face-off circle.

Give him a life size, plywood cut-out of a table hockey player and stand it in the right face-off circle... Spezza will produce.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I doubt Parenteau is on the trade block. Colorado is having a monster of a season, and isn't in a position to mess with chemistry.

Yes, they traded Downie, but with the rumored "political" reason behind it, that's not the best example. At this point, if the Avalanche are moving somebody, I would assume it would be a prospect or a pick in exchange for a rental.

For a guy with no wingers, Spezza is still putting up points. Ottawa's offense is producing. Ottawa is tied for 8th in goals scored per game, with only .2 goals being the difference between being tied for 3rd.

If at the deadline, Ottawa adds a winger on rental, that makes sense. But there's no reason to force a trade for a winger if the right guy is not up for sale. Wait until the off season to see where Ottawa's offense stands long term, and to look for a winger to play alongside Spezza.

It could also be argued that if Ottawa is going to give up assets, it should be done so in order to acquire defensive help. While they are 8th in goals scored per game, they allow the 7th most goals per game in the league.

mrkevo

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Let's try to get Voracek for cheap.

Honestly I was thinking the exact same thing. I think Voracek would be perfect but I don't think he would come cheap. Probably a good prospect and a roster player if I had to guess.

Would also like to see Eberle to the sens, but highly doubt that would happen. The team budget will prevent any good wingers coming to Ottawa any time soon

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
agreed get this man a winger asap

Flash from FLA is interesting or Cammileri

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What about Cory Conacher?

Seriously, the answer is :

Penner-Spezza-Michalek

But it's probably too late. No need for speedy wingers for Spezza, need for industrious wingers that can cycle and win battles along the boards, and finish/bang in rebounds.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->