Spezza needs a winger and fast

cpcftw

Dec 15, 2011
Hahahaha...oh man you guys crack me up, however that you're both serious makes me seriously question some things in life.

Gryba and Cowen have a higher +/- than Karlsson and therefore are much better in all situations. It's gold Jerry!

Err what's gold is anyone talking about breaking up macarthur-turris-ryan so that spezza can have another winger. :lol:

And I'm a huge fan of Karlsson... but keep attacking those strawmen.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Our offence is fine. If Melnyk ever agrees to pony up the cash Murray should go directly for a top-3 d-man. Getting Spezza a new toy takes a back seat to us being the best team we can be, and to do that we NEED to improve our defense.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He's 6th in PPG since 2005 and this team doesn't have a PP when he's injured. He's not easily replaceable and I would prefer not to go back to the Bonk & White era down the middle. With the team as constructed, using Michalek on Spezza's RW is probably the best option.

1 Crosby 1.42
2 Ovechkin 1.23
3 Malkin 1.21
4 Forsberg 1.13
5 Thornton 1.13
6 Spezza 1.09
7 Datsyuk 1.07
8 Sakic 1.07
9 St. Louis 1.06
10 Stamkos 1.05

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Over the years we have had several players try to play with Spezza without much success.Some player's reputations have been questioned because they didn't do well playing with Spezza. Spezza is not an easy player to play with, the Heatley era being an exception. Spezza plays pond hockey which is hard to read. Most players have difficulty trying to adjust to this type of hockey. It is also dangerous hockey because it breeds many turnovers. It is a waste of a talented winger to play him with Spezza. Spezza plays best with guys who create chaos in the offensive zone without any particular system. That's the way I see it any way.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If Melnyk wasn't around, I would seriously consider bringing back Heatley. I know he isn't well liked around here, but he has that serious chemistry with Spez.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
If Melnyk wasn't around, I would seriously consider bringing back Heatley. I know he isn't well liked around here, but he has that serious chemistry with Spez.

Except Heatley's declined substantially since his glory days here. Just doesn't skate as well, won't get into scoring lanes, and lacks effort.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Who has been tried with Spezza without success causing people to question them? Just wondering.

"It's hard to work with Spezza."

Ryan was given 2 days with him. Since Heatley and Alfredsson were broken up he's had Butler, Greening and Michalek (Alfie at times too, and they worked well together as always). He turned Michalek into a 35 goal scorer, made Butler look like an NHL player and made Greening look like a potential top 6er. The Spezza misinformation and hate breeds its own falsifications I guess.

WhiteLight*

Spezza, Michalek and Zibby looking good together.

I disagree. They haven't scored. Zib is playing well, Spezza has been fine, but the chemistry isn't there. I strongly believe Zib would score more if he played with Grant.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
As much as we think Michalek and Spezz don't have any chemistry together, it's still the best option. Mika is playing well with them, I just hope MacLean keeps that top 6 together for a while.

WhiteLight*

As much as we think Michalek and Spezz don't have any chemistry together, it's still the best option. Mika is playing well with them, I just hope MacLean keeps that top 6 together for a while.

I strongly disagree again. You can't leave Smith hanging. Smith has played wonderfully since getting Michalek on his line. Now they've reverted back to Michalek with Spezza, leaving Smith with stinking Greening and Neil. G-S-N is just awful, has no chemistry and a horrible shot differential when they'Re together.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, it doesn't work.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Get rid of Greening and conacher

Keep zibby and Smith on the top line and get a winger for spezza and michalek

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I strongly disagree again. You can't leave Smith hanging. Smith has played wonderfully since getting Michalek on his line. Now they've reverted back to Michalek with Spezza, leaving Smith with stinking Greening and Neil. G-S-N is just awful, has no chemistry and a horrible shot differential when they'Re together.

The alternative is Spezza getting pinned in his own zone.

You're plugging a hole while making another.

Not a great idea IMO.

WhiteLight*

The alternative is Spezza getting pinned in his own zone.

You're plugging a hole while making another.

Not a great idea IMO.

hence the trade Greening thread I created earlier:laugh:

But really though, Spezza can be effective with Greening. The hemmed in effect is much much greater we he plays with Smith

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007

Who cares if Smith plays with Neil and Greening? Smith is not on this team for his offensive potential, Spezza is, and I would rather have talented players playing with Spezza than have Neil and Greening

WhiteLight*

Who cares if Smith plays with Neil and Greening? Smith is not on this team for his offensive potential, Spezza is, and I would rather have talented players playing with Spezza than have Neil and Greening

Spezza produced zip today playing with Mick and Zib. 0. His production will be the same regardless of whether or not he has Greening on his line.

Smith on the other hand will produce more if he's not playing with scrubs. And most importantly, it's not just about offense. GSN is bad defensively because they cannot get the puck out of their own zone.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Zibby seems like a good fit. He's big and strong, can go into the corners and get the puck, and has a good set of hands and offensive instincts. He can create room on the ice to let Spezza dangle a bit.

The key is to leave the lines alone for awhile, let them gel.

I don't care what kind of points the second winger on that line gets, as long as that line as a whole puts up points.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Who has been tried with Spezza without success causing people to question them? Just wondering.

"It's hard to work with Spezza."

Ryan was given 2 days with him. Since Heatley and Alfredsson were broken up he's had Butler, Greening and Michalek (Alfie at times too, and they worked well together as always). He turned Michalek into a 35 goal scorer, made Butler look like an NHL player and made Greening look like a potential top 6er. The Spezza misinformation and hate breeds its own falsifications I guess.

Havlat, 2004... 31 goals in 68 games.

That year, plus Michalek, plus Heatley's 4 seasons is 6 of Spezza's 8 full seasons.

Put a lefty in the right face-off circle to whack in those cross-ice passes. It's worked 6 of those 8 years. This isn't rocket surgery!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not exactly sure what has happened to Spezza but the last couple of games he has reduced his turnovers by quite a bit & is playing a very sound defensive game including using his big body more & acttually hitting guys. :handclap:

Now if we can stop Karlsson from turning the puck over so much & Ryan from trying to be too cute with the puck & manage it a little better. Really like Grant's game since he has been called up, he is an excellent defensive forward with size & skill.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Over the years we have had several players try to play with Spezza without much success.Some player's reputations have been questioned because they didn't do well playing with Spezza. Spezza is not an easy player to play with, the Heatley era being an exception. Spezza plays pond hockey which is hard to read. Most players have difficulty trying to adjust to this type of hockey. It is also dangerous hockey because it breeds many turnovers. It is a waste of a talented winger to play him with Spezza. Spezza plays best with guys who create chaos in the offensive zone without any particular system. That's the way I see it any way.

You know, i like this analysis...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad