Spengler Cup

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Best on best in hockey is an illusion. And winning close low scoring games don't mean domination. Domination is USSR 8-1 final in 1981 and USSR 6-0 final in 1979 that was domination. Those are about the only time someone was on an entirely different playing field to the competition, albeit just for the final... Soccer has and always had real international competitions for nations, hockey almost never has and certainly not today with almost everyone playing the same boring style. So keep deluding yourself.

The Spengler Cup always delivers, great atmosphere and fun tournament with good hockey on the big ice. Stop the whine fest.
Quote me if you want to respond to me. I don't care about losing the Spengler Cup lol. Next.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think this Spengler Cup tournament is very nice thing to have. So yeah, you don't have the best players taking part, but some of the best teams in Europe and the team Canadian with lots of NHL veterans is at least very entertaining for all parties taking part. Now we all can be happy with the result :)

Reactions: albator71

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
We have to stop with this best on best crap. who f***ing cares if its not best on best. its great at hockey during the holidays, i love the spengler cup. i watched all the games and thank you TSN for broadcasting the games. its great tournament. its fun to watch canadians who are playing in europe. sometimes best on best can be very boring also. just remember the last time best on best played at the olympic in 2014 canada won 3-0 versus sweden that was a boring game. it wasnt good hockey at all. i have to say i love the european hockey fans. those guys know how to have fun. the are singing, dancing in the stands. the atmosphere is 100x better then in north america. next year i have to go to davos and experince this tournament in person and make new friends. Happy New Year everbody!!!

:newyear::cheers::partytime:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Best on best in hockey is an illusion. And winning close low scoring games don't mean domination. Domination is USSR 8-1 final in 1981 and USSR 6-0 final in 1979 that was domination. Those are about the only time someone was on an entirely different playing field to the competition, albeit just for the final... Soccer has and always had real international competitions for nations, hockey almost never has and certainly not today with almost everyone playing the same boring style. So keep deluding yourself.

The Spengler Cup always delivers, great atmosphere and fun tournament with good hockey on the big ice. Stop the whine fest.
It's only an illusion when the team you cheer for doesn't win them, when it does............it's suddenly the real deal, like 1981 right?

Canada has won the last 2 best on bests on n.h.l and international ice, right on Russias home ice to boot, that's domination and certainly no f***ing illusion and you damn well know it.

You would give your left nut for that resume and domination right now.The stuff you are bragging about was about 4o years ago.

Don't delude yourself.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You can't read? I'm Canadian. I'm a fan of good hockey first and foremost. At the moment I don't care much about the current trapping, dump and chase game used mostly everywhere. I was just saying that there almost never was a total domination in a tournament. In 1981 and 1979 the final wins were convincing but not the rest of the tournament. In 2014 Canada won playoff games 2-1 vs. Latvia and 1-0 vs. USA, that's what you call domination? In 2010 Canada won 1/2 and finals 3-2. So how is that being on a whole different level?

At The U20 level Canada has 2 titles in the last 9 tournaments. No domination either at the Senior Worlds.

2005 World Juniors Canada was on a very high level indeed, that's one of the only example I can think of at the moment.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You can't read? I'm Canadian. I'm a fan of good hockey first and foremost. At the moment I don't care much about the current trapping, dump and chase game used mostly everywhere. I was just saying that there almost never was a total domination in a tournament. In 1981 and 1979 the final wins were convincing but not the rest of the tournament. In 2014 Canada won playoff games 2-1 vs. Latvia and 1-0 vs. USA, that's what you call domination? In 2010 Canada won 1/2 and finals 3-2. So how is that being on a whole different level?

At The U20 level Canada has 2 titles in the last 9 tournaments. No domination either at the Senior Worlds.
You would never know it, even if it's clear from you saying you are, which i don't see where you did in that post.

Enough of this stuff, it's a spengler thread like you said right?

Russia-Canada coming up in a few hours, time to get into that.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Literally every habs and knights home game among many others
Are you serious? Singing by fans in nhl arenas during play? Singing by the crowd like in soccer, I've never seen that in nhl and certainly not in Montreal where the crowd is more quiet than in a church. Only time you hear them apart from after goals is if the jumbotron asks them to MAKE SOME NOISE like idiots.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Are you serious? Singing by fans in nhl arenas during play? Singing by the crowd like in soccer, I've never seen that in nhl and certainly not in Montreal where the crowd is more quiet than in a church. Only time you hear them apart from after goals is if the jumbotron asks them to MAKE SOME NOISE like idiots.
omegalul:laugh::laugh:
So much cluelessness here.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If you don't understand the difference between a Davos crowd and an NHL crowd then you probably couldn't tell the difference between black and white.

NHL= MAKE SOME NOISE GET LOUD LET'S HEAR FROM YOU...
Davos= crowd singing all game.

Even the most hardcore North American hockey fan even Don Cherry understands this and repeatedly showed it on Coaches's corner.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Literally every habs and knights home game among many others
no, not even close. i mean you cant even give euro hockey fans their dues, i watched a lot of czech extraliga and swiss national league games and there's nothing that compares to the atmosphere you have there, here in north america. none!

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The only thing in North America that has some sort of resemblance to this kind of atmosphere is some places in MLS but there's still a long way to go.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
People like to talk like this....until there is a best on best tournament that is actually coming up. Somebody still has to take that from Canada. Especially considering the last two Canada looked to be on an entirely different playing field to the competition.

1981, 1996, 1998, 2006. Aren't those "best on best" tournaments Canada lost?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad