Spengler Cup

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I'm a bit intrigued by the talk about the KHL teams possibly not being invited after this tournament. Apparently the lack of effort at the event by KHL teams has some not wanting to invite them(believe UFA didn't even bring their #1 goaltender).

I don't care so much about this event in terms of "identifying the best team" or anything, I just love the whole atmosphere, the rink(although it was better when there were no seats at the one end and you saw the sun on the ice), and the views of the Davos area.

It's about the only reason I would travel to watch hockey. I'll catch a game if I'm in an area, but for a hockey game to be my primary motivation...this is about the only one.

Reactions: BiasedDuck16

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So an extraliga vs KHL matchup coming up... I'm assuming KHL club is heavy favourite?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm a bit intrigued by the talk about the KHL teams possibly not being invited after this tournament. Apparently the lack of effort at the event by KHL teams has some not wanting to invite them(believe UFA didn't even bring their #1 goaltender).

I don't care so much about this event in terms of "identifying the best team" or anything, I just love the whole atmosphere, the rink(although it was better when there were no seats at the one end and you saw the sun on the ice), and the views of the Davos area.

It's about the only reason I would travel to watch hockey. I'll catch a game if I'm in an area, but for a hockey game to be my primary motivation...this is about the only one.
I love the tournament but same as you.. I don't think it proves much. The best part about it this year is that the last World Junior game ends and the third period hasn't started yet at Spengler!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So an extraliga vs KHL matchup coming up... I'm assuming KHL club is heavy favourite?

Based on what I saw in the round robin Trinic is really good and Ufa didn't care. I'd probably have Tirinic the favorite. Looks like betting lines have Trinic as the small favorite.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Based on what I saw in the round robin Trinic is really good and Ufa didn't care. I'd probably have Tirinic the favorite. Looks like betting lines have Trinic as the small favorite.
Assuming this doesn't get called back.. 1-0. I'd like to see a replay though... looks legit to me but we'll see.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Does anyone remember the old format? 5 teams, full round robin, best 2 made the final. It was way better than this everyone plays 2 games in a pool of 3 and then everyone makes the playoffs. It's made it a lot more boring to me. The round robin used to mean something.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Does anyone remember the old format? 5 teams, full round robin, best 2 made the final. It was way better than this everyone plays 2 games in a pool of 3 and then everyone makes the playoffs. It's made it a lot more boring to me. The round robin used to mean something.

That's exactly what I was thinking moment ago while browsing through old Spengler Cup results at wiki.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was never a fan of Stepanek on the National team in best on best Olympics but I love him at events like this!

I'd say KHL club was really heating up at end of period. Trinec doesn't score much.. could make for a good 2nd and 3rd period if they can keep it close.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007

I wonder if the workload had anything to do with it. I know they said at least one guy on Davos was playing his 10th game in 19 days yesterday. Old format was 5 games in 6 days for 2 teams. I can see where that may be an objection, especially depending on domestic league schedules.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
One reason for 6 teams was also that they are able to invite a second Swiss team to give the league one more reason to keep the break over christmas.

Reactions: uncleben

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2 - 2 going into third... sounds like Stepanek let in a stinker. Let's go Trinec!

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
One reason for 6 teams was also that they are able to invite a second Swiss team to give the league one more reason to keep the break over christmas.

This year they finally invited the perfect 2nd Swiss team.

The team itself is not the best, but the fans are amazing! (obviously I'm an Ambrì fan;))

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Any reason aside from history USA Hockey doesn’t bother with this tournament? Plenty of Americans playing in Europe, they could make a decent team and give Canada a run for their money. Could be an easy way to replace KHL team as well.

i know a few years ago Rochesters (Buffalo AHL team) went, but with the AHL schedule it’s very hard to do and disadvantage the team in their real season

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Wow.. nice win for Trinec. I was expecting more from Salavat in third... I only recall one great Stepanek save and not that much pressure. I felt Trinec was the better team in third period which doesn't line up with the lineups and leagues represented. Good luck against Ambri - I'll be tuning in after Czech-US game. So probably in a very bad mood.lol

Reactions: czechcanadian

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I love the Spengler Cup. It's been my favourite tournament for a long time. I have been watching it for probably 20 years. I just cannot get why the KHL teams do so badly. I mean I realize that they are playing a lot of bench players, but c'mon. It's not that their opponents play some system and catch them off guard. The KHL teams aren't even close to winning these games. What's the point of going, if you have no intention to at least try and win the tournament. Just tell the organizers, thanks but no thanks, we aren't interested, and let some other Euro club team go. It's been pretty apparent from the first game, that Team Canada is going to win it all, so may as well just give them the trophy now and let everyone go home a little early. Personally, I'd love to see Team Canada dropped from the tournament and just invite a couple of other Euro club teams.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Next year Frölunda will play the SC, first Swedish team for 15 years or so. We'll see if they replace the Czech or the KHL-team.

Reactions: Go Donbass

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Hey. Does anyone here know how the spengler cup organisation invite finnish team to the competition? Previous two years it has been the best finnish team that did not managed to get to CHL. Previous two years it had also been the team that would have been the next team in line to get to CHL, if Finland had more places in CHL. How ever CHL have changed the qualification rules and for the first time we are in a situation, where the best team that did not qualify to CHL is not the same team that would be first in line to CHL, if we have more places in CHL. So does Spengler Cup invite the best team from Finland that did not qualify for CHL or the teams that would be next in line for CHL, if Finland would have more places in that competition?

For clarification, in the final results HIFK is the best team that did not qualify for CHL, but according to CHL new rules TPS would be next in line for CHL, if Finland would have five place in that tournament.

Apparently according to the competitions own webpage Ambri-Piotta and Salavat Julaev UFA have already been invited.
according to swiss tv there is an agreement with liiga that a finnish team which did not qualifiy for CHL will participate (contract extended until 2022)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Next year Frölunda will play the SC, first Swedish team for 15 years or so. We'll see if they replace the Czech or the KHL-team.

So it's looking like it'll be
  • Davos
  • Canada (nothing official, but they won't not)
  • Ambri-Piotta
  • Ufa
  • Frolunda
  • Non-CHL qualifying Finnish team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->