Spengler Cup

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I actually don't know what the contract situation with the KHL is.

Swiss team could be different, but Ambri made a strong case for another invite this year.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Swiss team could be different, but Ambri made a strong case for another invite this year.
Somebody else here said Ambri-Piotta has been invited back, but I cannot find it on the Spengler site, at the moment.

As for Ufa, whether it is them or not, KHL will be back next year.

KHL Vice President Georgiy Kobylyanskiy said:
Will we see KHL teams at the Spengler Cup in the future?
Yes. We are currently negotiating and I think we can announce the 2020 participant during the KHL All Star Games in January.
https://www.spenglercup.ch/de/news/salavat-wird-kaempfen

Reactions: Faterson

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Wow! Trinec did it! 6am start so I won't watch it... I expect Canada to win but what a great run for Trinec. I had them ranked 6th going in.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I love the Spengler Cup. It's been my favourite tournament for a long time. I have been watching it for probably 20 years. I just cannot get why the KHL teams do so badly. I mean I realize that they are playing a lot of bench players, but c'mon. It's not that their opponents play some system and catch them off guard. The KHL teams aren't even close to winning these games. What's the point of going, if you have no intention to at least try and win the tournament. Just tell the organizers, thanks but no thanks, we aren't interested, and let some other Euro club team go. It's been pretty apparent from the first game, that Team Canada is going to win it all, so may as well just give them the trophy now and let everyone go home a little early. Personally, I'd love to see Team Canada dropped from the tournament and just invite a couple of other Euro club teams.
Canada won't be dropped, it's too much a part of the tradition and it has way more cache then another couple of teams from Europe.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Canada won't be dropped, it's too much a part of the tradition and it has way more cache then another couple of teams from Europe.

I'm sure the $$$$ for broadcasting rights from TSN goes a long way too.

At the same time, it's not good if Canada wins every year but they didn't win last year and they looked just as good going into the Final as they do this year so we'll just have to see what happens. That's why they play the games.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

At the same time, it's not good if Canada wins every year but they didn't win last year and they looked just as good going into the Final as they do this year so we'll just have to see what happens. That's why they play the games.
I'll be PVRing it but I expect a pretty clean Canada win... we'll see. They've looked really good this year and Davos had an off tournament.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I am pretty happy to see an Extraliga team beat a KHL and Swiss Club. Not that I have something against those leagues but we're definitely not as strong as those leagues. Nice surprise.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Why Kalpa wasn't invited for this year as well ? Usually they invite defending team ?!

And yes, I agree about Ambri, I had butterflys in my stomach yesterday while watching the game :)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Why Kalpa wasn't invited for this year as well ? Usually they invite defending team ?!

And yes, I agree about Ambri, I had butterflys in my stomach yesterday while watching the game :)

They have a contract with the Finnish league, where the best team which didn't qualify for the Champions Hockey League gets an automatic invite to the Spengler Cup.

Reactions: pukovnik

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I caught the final two periods. It's interesting seeing so many familiar names. Several former WJC players on that team.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019

To be fair, they really should have won last year too. “Oh My” Godla completely stole that game.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
So a few days late, but was curious about the money situation for the players. Are they paid based on winning/performance, is it just "part of the job" with their club teams? Searching does not yield much information.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Apologies for a somewhat off topic memory: Way back in 1962 my family was living for a year in Geneva, Switzerland. That winter I remember seeing posters advertising a hockey tournament featuring a team called “Canadians in Europe.” I asked about it and was told it was a pickup team consisting of Canadians playing for European hockey clubs which would come together for special tournaments. I can’t see any indications that they ever played in the Spengler Cup but perhaps they were, in a way, the ancestors of the present day Spengler Cup Team Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad