Rumor: Spencer Foo To Make FA Signing Decision in June (upd 6/27: Agrees to sign with CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hamilton needs sheltering to be effective. I take Klefbom and Larsson at their price tags any day of the week.

I wouldn't give up those picks for a Hamonic that is oft injured and regressing the past two seasons. Like I said in another thread, those picks I would give for d man like Trouba, one who is trending up not down.

I don't care what Calgary does really.

They keep spinning their tires. They're mortgaging their future for no sure things and it's going to bite them in the butt.

I also take Klefbom and Larsson's contract over Hamilton's but he really turned the corner last year. Dude is a legit top pairing if he continues on this trajectory.

Hamonic comes with his question marks but come on, it seems like some of you guys (not singling you out necessarily) are downplaying Hamonic now that he's a Flame. I bet that most of this board would be perfectly happy if Chia pulled off that deal.

Anyway, I don't know if this vaults Calgary over Edmonton but there's no denying that they are a better team than they were before while the Oilers (on paper) have downgraded. Lets see what happens in free agency but I'm only expecting a few subtle moves. At least we have McDavid, thank god for that.

BTW, sorry for derailing the thread mods.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No, the Oilers would have given up the picks that they wound up giving up for Reinhart.

Regardless, I don't blame Chia for not getting Hamilton. Just saying that the Flames always seem to get the guys the Oilers are after. Hell, the Oilers have been after Hamonic for years and the Flames pull it off in a matter of a week. Just a bit frustrating

Chia is so incredibly lucky to have walked into a McDavid situation.

No one has said otherwise but it's not like he's stood around with his finger up his ass and let McDavid do all the work.

Sekera, Russell, Maroon, Talbot, Lucic, Larsson, Benning, Caggiula, Letestu and Kassian all have Chia's fingerprints on them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No one has said otherwise but it's not like he's stood around with his finger up his ass and let McDavid do all the work.

Sekera, Russell, Maroon, Talbot, Lucic, Larsson, Benning, Caggiula, Letestu and Kassian all have Chia's fingerprints on them.

No doubt, he has done a lot more good than bad although I would argue that a lot of those moves were due to having McDavid (Lucic and Sekera in particular) but there's no denying that it has been a frustrating offseason thus far.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I also take Klefbom and Larsson's contract over Hamilton's but he really turned the corner last year. Dude is a legit top pairing if he continues on this trajectory.

Hamonic comes with his question marks but come on, it seems like some of you guys (not singling you out necessarily) are downplaying Hamonic now that he's a Flame. I bet that most of this board would be perfectly happy if Chia pulled off that deal.

Anyway, I don't know if this vaults Calgary over Edmonton but there's no denying that they are a better team than they were before while the Oilers (on paper) have downgraded. Lets see what happens in free agency but I'm only expecting a few subtle moves. At least we have McDavid, thank god for that.

I would've been fine with us flipping 2 1sts because I expect them to be very low 1sts and I don't know the '17 or '18 drafts like our staff does. Maybe Chia greatly value's Keith Gretzky's contributions to scouting and wants him to start leaving his mark on the teams future?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No doubt, he has done a lot more good than bad although I would argue that a lot of those moves were due to having McDavid (Lucic and Sekera in particular) but there's no denying that it has been a frustrating offseason thus far.

Now watch us sign Foo, Hanzal and Williams :sarcasm: :naughty:

North

Jun 25, 2009

No, I'm not high on Hamonic at all especially with his degraded performance the past couple of seasons and the injury history.

I've always felt like the price to land him is too high relative to what he brings to the table. This has nothing to do with Calgary landing him.

Back to Foo, if Calgary lands him, it makes sense due to their thin RW depth.

We have a luxury of being able to play Drai at RW. That's not something Calgary has.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Calgary makes more sense for him tbh. That's the one team that might actually have a bigger need on RW than the Oilers. I think the drafting of Yamamoto (even though he's a few years away) pretty much sealed him not signing here.

I'm not sore about him signing there but it's just funny how they always seem to one up the Oilers with Hamilton, Hamonic, Versteeg and now maybe Foo.
Treiviling making Chia look like a Foo. Been wanting to use that one for a while ;)

and how much better have the Flames been with those guys added to the roster? they got worse with Hamilton, Versteeg was decent but the team didn't finish higher than the Oilers and Hamilton with the Flames remains to be seen

its not like "stealing" these guys away from the Oilers have made the Flames a great team

North

Jun 25, 2009
I would've been fine with us flipping 2 1sts because I expect them to be very low 1sts and I don't know the '17 or '18 drafts like our staff does. Maybe Chia greatly value's Keith Gretzky's contributions to scouting and wants him to start leaving his mark on the teams future?

I think the Oilers realized that McDavid and Drai are going to cost a pretty penny against the cap so they decided they needed to keep whatever draft picks they can.

They are going to have to cycle in cheaper ELC talent to be able to sustain any success.

North

Jun 25, 2009
and how much better have the Flames been with those guys added to the roster? they got worse with Hamilton, Versteeg was decent but the team didn't finish higher than the Oilers and Hamilton with the Flames remains to be seen

its not like "stealing" these guys away from the Oilers have made the Flames a great team

I still remember when the Flames signed Kenney Morrison out from under the Oilers.

He's amounted to a whole lot of nothing so far.

I'd like Foo to choose the Oilers but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Matheson says there's only a slim chance Foo picks Calgary. Another reporter said they are very much in the mix though.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It's amazing in here my positivity thread got 175 posts all year
running from OCT to playoffs and the team had it's best season in 11 years with so many positives. Some one should make a negativity thread I bet it fills up faster than Trade rumor agent

You weren't very positive when you jumped all over me for liking the Larsson for Hall trade .

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Now a foo fight.

I think I'm going to not read this forum for a while - not much good news on here lately.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Matheson says there's only a slim chance Foo picks Calgary. Another reporter said they're are very much in the mix though.

All 3 cities have new rinks so I doubt that's a factor and Chia should fly him back to Detroit and drive him 20 blocks from rink in any direction

c1wjVTJ.jpg

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
You weren't very positive when you jumped all over me for liking the Larsson for Hall trade .
And I later in the year admitted i was wrong in that judgement on the trade and ate my crow. Now can I see your admissions of being wrong on something.... thought so

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I hate this whole bending over for college free agents thing. They haven't earned anything in the NHL yet the red carpet is being rolled out for them. Too bad they couldn't just re-enter the draft

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I hate this whole bending over for college free agents thing. They haven't earned anything in the NHL yet the red carpet is being rolled out for them. Too bad they couldn't just re-enter the draft

There is no bending over for them. They are the only free agents right now which brings the attention and with no NHL experience they usually visit the clubs to get a feel.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The news on Tpitts cuts to the core of me.

But I guess the guy probably want to go back home and maybe not got injured for season.

I think Laleggia might be able to take his spot pretty soon anyway. maybe not as RW just in terms of call-up energy guy.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Bending over would be to pay 4M x 4yrs to a non-core player.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
If he doesn't choose Edmonton he can Foo-ck off.

Im thinking this is somewhat a ploy to boost his value. By dragging out this process as long as he can, maybe he thinks wherever he signs would give him the opportunity of a spot in the opening lineup. That's all I can think of for a reason aside from what he said in his interviews about school

Also, footnote:
He follows the Oilers and Eskimos on Twitter, and no other NHL teams. Not that it matters, still think he goes to Calgary but if he doesn't I will gladly eat crow.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
The news on Tpitts cuts to the core of me.

But I guess the guy probably want to go back home and maybe not got injured for season.

I think Laleggia might be able to take his spot pretty soon anyway. maybe not as RW just in terms of call-up energy guy.
Sorry I haven't heard the news on pitlick been searching but couldn't find what you were referring to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad