Dreger: Speculation that Panarin asking price is just over $12 million a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
arent the jackets in the best position to offer him his demands ? i will laugh if he kind of windowshops himself on the market and in the end goes back to columbus.
If it was only money he's looking for then maybe

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would say that is the case for just about every guy playing in the NHL. Once they get paid and progress into the later stages of their careers, they may look to join a team with the prospect of winning the Cup.
Not necessarily. Players like Backstrom took less so he could stay with the Caps and he ultimately won. ALL of the Lightning players took less so they can stay together and hopeful win.

Every place Panarin plays he seems to want out for some reason or another... like he's never happy.

He was in a great situation in Chicago but didn't want to talk a little less to be part of a great team so he was traded. Then he gets to Columbus and lay year made it clear he wasn't happy there longterm. Now, he'll likely take the biggest payday regardless how close the team is to winning.

Panarin is a mercenary, let's be honest. But he's awesome at what he does and it's his right to sign anywhere he chooses.

Yet there are a bunch of players who take less to stay in a good situation or try to win.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Some of you act like it's your money that's being paid to Panarin. This happens every single free agency. Someone gets "overpaid" and people act like this is some sort of crazy situation playing out.

If a team wanted to trade for a signed Panarin the cost would easily be a a top prospect, a first round pick and a top 6F/Top fourD. In free agency, you don't have to give up any assets so there is a premium to be paid. In free agency, teams compete for their player so that will increase the price too. Paying big money for a superstar in his prime when you give up no assets is a good move.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Every place Panarin plays he seems to want out for some reason or another... like he's never happy.

I quoted you elsewhere regarding your ignorance surrounding Panarin and you never responded. I'll clarify further:

Panarin has been in the NHL for four seasons. He's played for TWO teams.

He signed with Chicago on an entry deal, then signed an extension with the team because he wanted to stay in Chicago. He loved playing with Patrick Kane, and loved playing for Coach Q.

The Blackhawks then traded him to Columbus for Saad because they were approaching cap hell and Saad had the same AAV but more term and thus more cost control for a longer period. It was a dumb move IMO and Saad was a massive downgrade on Panarin.

Nevertheless... HE NEVER ASKED TO BE TRADED. HE EXTENDED IN CHICAGO FOR A REASON.

He got traded to Columbus. It wasn't his choice to go to Columbus. He could have sulked and moaned but he didn't. He did his job and did it very well, all the while making it clear that he might not be staying.

He is now a free agent and has the right to leave a team he didn't ask to play for in the first place.

Mercenary... LOL. Must be the first time a guy who gets traded against his will to a team he didn't want to play for long term gets called a mercenary for leaving in free agency.

Whatever bias you have against Panarin is fine but at least get the facts straight.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
As a CBJ fan I wanted him to stay but as a person I am glad he is gone. Here's why... We traveled to Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver to watch the Jackets. Outside of the Edmonton hotel, my 12yo was getting a helmet signed by all of the CBJ players. As usual with NHL players, everyone was great about it, except when Panarin came out. My son held the helmet out to him and Panarin looks at my son, shakes his head no and walked to the bus. Keep in mind that my son had on CBJ hat, jersey, sweat pants, and shoes. Panarin stands by there playing on his phone for 15 minutes maybe 20ft from us. He looked up a couple of times and I pointed at my son where he just went back to his phone. He is a hell of a hockey player but a dick of a person. Believe me or don't but I swear on my son's life that is what happened.
As a fan I wouldn't want him for more than 4 years. Unless it's Crosby or Ovechkin these long term big money deal are risky.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Some of you act like it's your money that's being paid to Panarin. This happens every single free agency. Someone gets "overpaid" and people act like this is some sort of crazy situation playing out.

If a team wanted to trade for a signed Panarin the cost would easily be a a top prospect, a first round pick and a top 6F/Top fourD. In free agency, you don't have to give up any assets so there is a premium to be paid. In free agency, teams compete for their player so that will increase the price too. Paying big money for a superstar in his prime when you give up no assets is a good move.
This argument would make sense...if there wasn't a cap system in place.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Not necessarily. Players like Backstrom took less so he could stay with the Caps and he ultimately won. ALL of the Lightning players took less so they can stay together and hopeful win.

He was in a great situation in Chicago but didn't want to talk a little less to be part of a great team so he was traded. Then he gets to Columbus and lay year made it clear he wasn't happy there longterm. Now, he'll likely take the biggest payday regardless how close the team is to winning.

Panarin is a mercenary, let's be honest. But he's awesome at what he does and it's his right to sign anywhere he chooses.

Yet there are a bunch of players who take less to stay in a good situation or try to win.
He was on a great deal in Chicago. He’s been underpaid for a few years now. Man deserves to be paid.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This argument would make sense...if there wasn't a cap system in place.
It's still not the issue people make it out to be because you have to look at cap hit among the star players/across the team. The best cap team wins nothing. I know this because Florida has always managed their cap extremely well. Now is time for well managed cap teams to cash in. Otherwise, Florida will waste having a core locked up at a below market rate. Barkov and Panarin at 11mill a year is 8.5 each. 9 million each if he signs for 12. That's good. If you break it down among the top 6 cap hit, it goes even lower.

The issue is with signing mediocre players to big deals. Superstars change the dynamic of a team. Cody Ceci at 5 million is way worse or Hayes at 7. Those are guys that are not worth paying for and you can acquire a similar player under contract via a trade instead if you mismanaged your cap.

Reactions: majormajor

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If it was only about money I'm sure there would be many more teams in the race besides Florida, NYI and NYR. It's a combination of money and city.
To add to that, why wouldn't he go play practically tax free in the motherland if it is only about the money?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
It's still not the issue people make it out to be because you have to look at cap hit among the star players/across the team. The best cap team wins nothing. I know this because Florida has always managed their cap extremely well. Now is time for well managed cap teams to cash in. Otherwise, Florida will waste having a core locked up at a below market rate. Barkov and Panarin at 11mill a year is 8.5 each. 9 million each if he signs for 12. That's good. If you break it down among the top 6 cap hit, it goes even lower.

The issue is with signing mediocre players to big deals. Superstars change the dynamic of a team. Cody Ceci at 5 million is way worse or Hayes at 7. Those are guys that are not worth paying for and you can acquire a similar player under contract via a trade instead if you mismanaged your cap.
There are plenty of stars who sign big contract and start out as stars but end the contracts as mediocre players. In fact, thats what happens a majority of the time. To not take that into account is beyond foolish. So again, cap hits matter, term length matters, NTC/NMCs matter. The Blues just won the cup and they don't have a player making over 8 mill on their team.

Personally, as a Rangers fan, I'm rooting for the Panthers to sign him. Want nothing to do with him on my team at that price.

Reactions: apoptygma

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
As a CBJ fan I wanted him to stay but as a person I am glad he is gone. Here's why... We traveled to Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver to watch the Jackets. Outside of the Edmonton hotel, my 12yo was getting a helmet signed by all of the CBJ players. As usual with NHL players, everyone was great about it, except when Panarin came out. My son held the helmet out to him and Panarin looks at my son, shakes his head no and walked to the bus. Keep in mind that my son had on CBJ hat, jersey, sweat pants, and shoes. Panarin stands by there playing on his phone for 15 minutes maybe 20ft from us. He looked up a couple of times and I pointed at my son where he just went back to his phone. He is a hell of a hockey player but a dick of a person. Believe me or don't but I swear on my son's life that is what happened.
As a fan I wouldn't want him for more than 4 years. Unless it's Crosby or Ovechkin these long term big money deal are risky.
I mean I suppose stars can sometimes be in a hurry, or having a bad day etc etc.
But your additional point about him sitting there for 15 min... ouch. That sucks.
Still very cool your son got most of the hockey players to sign his helmet! :)

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
There are plenty of stars who sign big contract and start out as stars but end the contracts as mediocre players. In fact, thats what happens a majority of the time. To not take that into account is beyond foolish. So again, cap hits matter, term length matters, NTC/NMCs matter. The Blues just won the cup and they don't have a player making over 8 mill on their team.

Personally, as a Rangers fan, I'm rooting for the Panthers to sign him. Want nothing to do with him on my team at that price.
That's fine and obviously known. If the team can go on some playoff runs in the next couple of years, that would be awesome. Worrying about a potential decline in 4/5/6 years is not helpful given where things stand.

The Blues are only one team. Tarasenko is at 7.5, Petro will get extended and be above 8 soon enough. Penguins and Chicago probably did. Again, it's not about one or two player's cap hit. It's about average hit across the lineup. If Florida signs Bob and he gets 9 which is high, they'll have a backup on an ELC.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I mean I suppose stars can sometimes be in a hurry, or having a bad day etc etc.
But your additional point about him sitting there for 15 min... ouch. That sucks.
Still very cool your son got most of the hockey players to sign his helmet! :)
Yeah, sux that some cats just aren't as cool as Keanu.

-ghoste

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That's fine and obviously known. If the team can go on some playoff runs in the next couple of years, that would be awesome. Worrying about a potential decline in 4/5/6 years is not helpful given where things stand.

The Blues are only one team. Tarasenko is at 7.5, Petro will get extended and be above 8 soon enough. Penguins and Chicago probably did. Again, it's not about one or two player's cap hit. It's about average hit across the lineup. If Florida signs Bob and he gets 9 which is high, they'll have a backup on an ELC.
Thanks for proving my point for me by reiterating it.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for proving my point for me by reiterating it.
Chicago mismanaged their cap but still had success with Kane and Toews on big contracts. Pitt just won a cup with big contracts. Worrying about cap when it's a couple million extra to star players is such a risk averse move. The mistake is signing guys who are not stars to bigger deals. Like Seabrook.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Chicago mismanaged their cap but still had success with Kane and Toews on big contracts. Pitt just won a cup with big contracts. Worrying about cap when it's a couple million extra to star players is such a risk averse move. The mistake is signing guys who are not stars to bigger deals. Like Seabrook.
Guess what happened after they mismanaged their cap? They stopped winning.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Guess what happened after they mismanaged their cap? They stopped winning.
The Capitals have a 9.5 million dollar winger and just won. Penguins had two guys making over 8.5 and won. Reality does not support your argument.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
I like Panarin. He's one of my favorite players being a Hawks fan. That said, there is no way I'm paying him 12 mil a yr. I'd give him 10.5 mil tops to play in Florida and that might be too much. Florida really needs Bob more than Panarin.
When you tie that kind of money up in a player like this for 7 yrs plus you end up wishing it was only a 4 or 5 year deal. Panarin is in the prime of his career right now. Does he have 7 more point per game seasons in him?

He's not a generational player like McDavid or Crosby that warrants that kind of contract IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad