Dreger: Speculation that Panarin asking price is just over $12 million a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The point is, if he's looking for the balling "glamorous" lifestyle there are really only 2 maybe 3 NHL cities in the US he can find that in. So unless he's really poor at geography those parameters would exclude Sunrise.

Then again I have no idea if thise reports are true, just responding to the poster who put that out there.
Just a heads up but you're not required to live in Sunrise if you play for the Panthers. Not sure if you know that.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ok are either of those 12? Or even 10?
The year before the pens won their first cup (on the back to back) there were no 10 million dollar players and malkin was second highest paid player (50 grand behind ovie for aav) Crosby top 5 . First cup toews and Kane came in at over 10 second cup kopitar added.

This year there are like 10 players making double digits. It won't be long till a team wins with a double digit player we have only had them for like 4 years.

(Well since the cap started I believe jagr was making 11 or something pre cap.)

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Living in a mansion on the ocean is glamorous. Sounds like you're unfamiliar. You are 20/25 minutes from SOBE.
Living in a mansion on the beach is delightful I'm sure, but it's not what I would consider glamorous.

I'm as familiar with the area as anyone whose never resided there, and yeah you're 20 minutes from sobe. By helicopter.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Just a heads up but you're not required to live in Sunrise if you play for the Panthers. Not sure if you know that.
Woah. Who knew?

Whatever man. He's not living in Miami and that's how I read original dudes post. Shaq had a glamorous lifestyle there. As did Lebron. Roberto Luongo however does not. I'm sure his life is fantastic, but let's be straight with our adjectives.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
What would I rather have?

A) Mitch Marner at 11 million

B) Panarin at 12 million plus 4 first rounders each of which can be as good as Mitch Marner

Most of HF would unironically prefer option A :laugh:
Your odds of getting full value for Marner at 22 are way better than Panarin at 28. On one side you're buying almost exclusively peak years. On the other you have to live with maybe two declining seasons.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You act like he's for sure coming over and he'll be Patrick Roy right away. Look at Pavel Francouz and Ilya Samsonov buds
LOL I act like every Russian drafted came over to NA so far at some point. Check your facts, not the narratives.

Whether or not he will be Roy or Bobrovskiy no one can tell, but he is a sure thing top goaltending prospect and they aren't easy to find. Some NHL teams go through years and years of goaltending controversy because they don't draft proper goalies.

The most funny part about your post is bringing up Samsonov and Francouz. In one sentence to make it worse. Samsonov is doing just fine and is a sure thing future starter. Try to follow players instead of ignorant narratives again. How's Carter Hart doing? His AHL career also wasn't exactly glorious. But you compare Samsonov to 29y.o. undrafted Francouz? Really? Francouz never was a top prospect to begin with. If he manages to land a job in the NHL that would be more than could have been expected just a few years ago.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Oh I don't know.

A 100ft yacht docked at your home on an island in Biscayne Bay? A penthouse apartment overlooking Central Park? A mansion in Malibu or Laguna Beach?

Take your pick.
It's a 45 minute drive from South Beach to Sunrise. 20 from Fort Lauderdale. Stop acting like it's not possible to have a glamorous lifestyle. It's a silly point you're trying to make.

Reactions: Jon Bonham

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
any team that is going to pay this guy when I am guessing his priorities are about the nightlife and what to do outside of hockey is going to regret it, and I am guessing it is going to be my team

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
LOL I act like every Russian drafted came over to NA so far at some point. Check your facts, not the narratives.

Whether or not he will be Roy or Bobrovskiy no one can tell, but he is a sure thing top goaltending prospect and they aren't easy to find. Some NHL teams go through years and years of goaltending controversy because they don't draft proper goalie.

The most funny part about your post is bringing up Samsonov and Francouz. In one sentence to make it worse. Samsonov is doing just fine and is a sure thing future starter. Try to follow plauers instead of ignorant narratives again. How's Carter Hart doing? His AHL career also wasn't exactly glorious. But you compare Samsonov to 29y.o. undrafted Francouz? Really? Francouz never was a top prospect to begin with. If he manages to land a job in the NHL that would be more than could have been expected just a few years ago.

What I'm saying is you're acting like Sorokin will be an immediate impact player while Samsonov and Francouz had to prove themselves in the AHL first, buds...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Your odds of getting full value for Marner at 22 are way better than Panarin at 28. On one side you're buying almost exclusively peak years. On the other you have to live with maybe two declining seasons.

That's true but you're paying a huge premium for it that may not get realized until years down the line. No one is signing Panarin or Marner for what they'll do in years 6-8, it matters but not nearly as much as the first half of their contract. By that point so many things can change with respect to the league, team and player.

Also signing a 28 year old guy you get much more veteran acumen (not necessarily vocal leadership but habits picked up after fully maturing and playing hockey for 5 more years, having faced more big game moments, coaches, learning from older veteran teammates etc). Don't know how true that is with Panarin but that's definitely a factor into why championship teams want late 20s-early 30s guys as part of their core. Could be seen with the Caps cup run when Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson etc were not in their primes but were "old enough" to get it and do the right veteran things at the right time, not get distracted, not letting up at the wrong moment etc. Not singling out Mitch Marner for Leafs losing to Boston the last 2 years at all but those game 7s between Boston and Toronto were textbook "more experienced veteran team pulling through" games.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The point is, if he's looking for the balling "glamorous" lifestyle there are really only 2 maybe 3 NHL cities in the US he can find that in. So unless he's really poor at geography those parameters would exclude Sunrise.

Then again I have no idea if thise reports are true, just responding to the poster who put that out there.

Pretty sure if he wants to he can have a party mansion on South Beach to live in during off days and a 5 star apartment next to the rink. Property values will just go up for both

Miami is full to the brim of Russian celebrities balling out at luxurious night clubs, far beyond LA and New York even before we get into the yacht/beach/weather.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Pretty sure if he wants to he can have a party mansion on South Beach to live in during off days and a 5 star apartment next to the rink. Property values will just go up for both

Miami is full to the brim of Russian celebrities balling out at luxurious night clubs, far beyond LA and New York even before we get into the yacht/beach/weather.

Soooo, does hockey come into play at any point?

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
It's a 45 minute drive from South Beach to Sunrise. 20 from Fort Lauderdale. Stop acting like it's not possible to have a glamorous lifestyle. It's a silly point you're trying to make.
What happened to the 20-25 minute commute to sobe you claimed in a previous post?

South Florida has plenty of redeeming qualities, so there's no need to fabricate things.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
What happened to the 20-25 minute commute to sobe you claimed in a previous post?

South Florida has plenty of redeeming qualities, so there's no need to fabricate things.
I googled it to check. Think I said 20-25 from Fort Lauderdale. Nothing to hide and both times are still completely reasonable for a commute.

Regardless, you're still 100% wrong about it not being glamorous and thinking players have to live in Sunrise. I'm sure the Devil's players live in Newark and Islander's players are living in Downtown Brooklyn lmao

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I googled it to check. Think I said 20-25 from Fort Lauderdale. Nothing to hide and both times are still completely reasonable for a commute.

Regardless, you're still 100% wrong about it not being glamorous and thinking players have to live in Sunrise. I'm sure the Devil's players live in Newark and Islander's players are living in Downtown Brooklyn lmao
I never said they live in Sunrise. But I'm sure exactly 0 live in Miami.

Downtown Brooklyn is quite lovely - and wealthy - so I wouldn't be surprised if a few Islanders live there.

Obviously none of the Devils live in Newark. But they don't live more than ~20 minutes away.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
In NY he could also live in a mansion on the beach and be minutes away from Russian communities.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Maybe 2? That's a bit optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad