Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I personally don't see the Leafs making any more trades before the deadline. This off-season on the other hand should be an active one.

I see them making another transaction.

I don't it to be big, but something for depth.

OTOH, I'd support a huge deal for a real top 4 RD. Most of the Marlies are irrelevant to this iteration of the Leafs.

Leafs are going to have their core locked up for 5 years, so not much room on the Leafs during this time other than bottom end players.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Like it or not guys you dont disrupt a winning team and make huge trades this late into the season. We are looking to add pieces if the price is right. I think the GM's are holding out as the player's value goes down each day. TD trades rarely work out.Wait for the summer for big trades.

Reactions: Menzinger

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Luke Fox of Sportsnet, the way in which Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock speaks so vaguely about his D corps convinces him that Toronto is still hunting for another blue-liner: a right shot who can kill penalties.

Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs' Dubas gives peek into Babcock alliance - Sportsnet.ca
2. The thing Babcock most liked about the blip that was the Jake Muzzin–Morgan Rielly top pairing was having Ron Hainsey on Travis Dermott’s right shoulder and in the rookie’s ear. A minus player at the time of the Muzzin deal, Dermott went plus-7 in those games predominantly paired with Hainsey.

“The biggest difference you see is suddenly Dermy is even,” Babcock said. “So, that’s getting to hang out with Ron and him telling you what to do. It’s probably a pretty good deal.”

Hainsey says there is “lots to like” about Dermott — all but guaranteed to take over Jake Gardiner’s puck-moving role in Toronto’s top four starting 2019-20.

“A real brave player going back for pucks. He’s elusive back there when he gets it. He can avoid the forecheck and get it out fast. The communication has been really good and continues to improve,” said Hainsey, reminding that Demott has only been a full-time NHLer for 13 months.

“He continues to get better and better, and he’s got a great future if he continues doing that.”

Muzzin gives Babcock more pairing options, and the six-man puzzle remains a project in progress with five of them being lefties.

But the way Babcock speaks so vaguely about his D corps convinces us Toronto is still hunting for another blue-liner: a right shot who can kill penalties.

“I would say there’s different options. We’ve talked a lot about them,” Babcock said. “We just try to be as patient as we can right now, and we’re going to continue to do that. You know, you always have different scenarios in your mind you can get to.”

Hmmm…

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Maybe an odd suggestion or thought but....

Would Zach Kassian be available from Edmonton?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maybe an odd suggestion or thought but....

Would Zach Kassian be available from Edmonton?
Yeah, but we probably shouldn't go after him.

If we add truculence or grit, it needs to be good enough play in the top 9 and produce. Kassian just is a slightly better Matt Martin. And to be honest, I think I like our 4th line more with Tyler Ennis there than I did with Martin.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, but we probably shouldn't go after him.

If we add truculence or grit, it needs to be good enough play in the top 9 and produce. Kassian just is a slightly better Matt Martin. And to be honest, I think I like our 4th line more with Tyler Ennis there than I did with Martin.

Kassian also plays the right side, and with Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, and Brown on our right side regularly when Johnsson is in the lineup, there is no where for Kassian to play.

We don't need a forward. We should be focused on defense.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just do Jensen for oz + a 4th.

And once again, who does he replace? Seems like Babcock wants more guys like Hainsey (RD who can PK), not just to swap him out with a RH version of himself. Gardiner would be the next most logical candidate, but that means trading Gardiner.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
And once again, who does he replace? Seems like Babcock wants more guys like Hainsey (RD who can PK), not just to swap him out with a RH version of himself. Gardiner would be the next most logical candidate, but that means trading Gardiner.

Hainsey to 7D, but ideally you dump Hainsey for Gudas

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Kassian also plays the right side, and with Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, and Brown on our right side regularly when Johnsson is in the lineup, there is no where for Kassian to play.

We don't need a forward. We should be focused on defense.

Only way the leafs should trade for a F, is if they're dealing Zaitsev before the deadline.

Or by some chance, a good rental somehow comes cheap (think 3rd rounder)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Hainsey to 7D, but ideally you dump Hainsey for Gudas

Hainsey to 7D would be the most counter-intuitive thing I have ever seen. We want more guys on RD who can PK, so we are going to acquire one just to sit one who has played great with Dermott?

And if you trade Hainsey for Gudas, you still have the same problem... Even if you are forgetting about Oz + for Jensen.

The point is to get more guys who can play like Hainsey, not just to swap Hainsey with a right-handed version of himself. Trading Gardiner makes far more sense, since he's a LD who does not PK, is not even needed on PP anymore since you have Dermott and Muzzin now besides Rielly, and now not even in the top 4 in terms of guys Babcock trusts in key shutdown situations. So he really does not even fit in with the defensive structure anymore, since Muzzin pretty much took (and upgraded) his role. Gardiner's minutes decreased by far the most since Muzzin arrived, and chances are, as Muzzin gets more ice time, Gardiner's will continue to fall more than most other guys on the team.

If the Leafs traded Gardiner and brought in Jensen or Gudas (although I'd aim even higher than them by getting someone like Pesce), you can have the LD-RD balance Babcock has always wanted and you'd have 4 PKer's without Babcock even needing to use Rielly on the PK. Not to mention Gardiner receives a lot more in a trade than Hainsey.

Reactions: kb and Bigmarycombo

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
So how do we bring in...

Simmonds/Ferland
Manson/Montour/Pesce/Spurgeon
Gudas

And if we deal a player like Kadri, then we have to replace him on the 3rd line.

horner

May 22, 2007
Speculation he is available

Puljujarvi

I think Edmonton is a graveyard for hockey prospects.

Schultz to name one

I think he needs a change of scenery.
With our coaches and training facilities we may a really good player come the end of the season.

Let him play on the Marlies till the end of the season.

What would be a reasonable offer

2020 1st + prospect + conditional ( in 2020-21)on him playing 50 GM's in the NHL)

We won't get anything better where we will be
drafting in 2020

Conditional could be a prospect

Death or Glory

Apr 28, 2018
I posted a few pages back about a Hossa ltir contract for Zaitsev swap kind of like Horton/Clarkson. Would this help cap wise next year. Could we add to get Hjarmallson.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
So how do we bring in...

Simmonds/Ferland
Manson/Montour/Pesce/Spurgeon
Gudas

And if we deal a player like Kadri, then we have to replace him on the 3rd line.

Nylander would probably move to center.

Well let's start by saying that you only need one defenseman, not two. That also means a defenseman has to move out.

If you trade Kadri, Johnsson or Kapanen and a defenseman like Gardiner, you easily get one of the two forwards and one of the five defensemen and maybe even more depending on the defenseman.

It's not really that difficult, but it's a matter of whether Dubas would be willing to move out two high profile guys before the TDL, even if it means our team gets better overall.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I posted a few pages back about a Hossa ltir contract for Zaitsev swap kind of like Horton/Clarkson. Would this help cap wise next year. Could we add to get Hjarmallson.

It's not even remotely the same. First of all, Zaitsev is far more valuable and effective than Clarkson ever was. Plus Horton's whole thing was that he was big money that CBJ had to pay in full despite never playing another game for them and they wanted someone who (at the time anyways) could have played in their lineup. Obviously Clarkson got hurt permanently, but his contract was insured and eventually they just dumped him on Vegas.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Like it or not guys you dont disrupt a winning team and make huge trades this late into the season. We are looking to add pieces if the price is right. I think the GM's are holding out as the player's value goes down each day. TD trades rarely work out.Wait for the summer for big trades.

Depends on whether you're adding, subtracting or exchanging.

I don't think it would cause any negative disruption if Hainsey, Lindholm, Bracco and Liljegren were traded for Klingberg.

Replace Lindholm with any NHLer.

I in no way saying the Leafs could ever get Klingberg, just using him as an example of a huge trade that wouldn't disrupt the team in a manner you don't want.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If you go on the Bruins board they appear convinced McQuaid to TO is inevitable. I wouldnt mind Kassian. He is a really good skater for a big guy and the Oil throw him in the top 6 from time to time, and lately to showcase him beside McDavid.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If you go on the Bruins board they appear convinced McQuaid to TO is inevitable. I wouldnt mind Kassian. He is a really good skater for a big guy and the Oil throw him in the top 6 from time to time, and lately to showcase him beside McDavid.

To be honest I wouldn't either - Kassian or Clifford are both decent 4th liners and would help us. Lindholm really doesn't do much for us.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I would much rather add grit up front. A guy like Kassian makes sense. If someone takes liberties, it’s easier to replace a 4th line guy for 5 minutes than it is to have a guy back-end sitting down. Kassian can also bring some thunder on the forecheck and create turnovers.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd do that deal simply to get Zaistev's money off the books and Stecher you could walk from in a year if needed when Spooner expires in 2020.
Are people not noticing how well Zaitsev is playing with Muzzin, and that just sticking with old well worn narratives may no longer apply? That pairing has looked very good so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErnieLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad