Proposal: Speculation: Rumours: Done Deals: Trade Deadline 2019 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
You want to stir **** and start something with this team?

That sounds like a really bad idea when Kassian and Kadri would be the only guys even remotely tough enough to back that up

One guy isn't changing what this team is and our kids aren't going to start hitting and fighting now

Maybe stir shit was a bad term.

What I am saying is that if there is a line on an opponent's team that starts playing a little tougher, Kassian could be bumped up with Kadri and matched against said line. Or, if there is an opponent with a smaller team who could be thrown off by matching a Kassian/Kadri line to one of their lines.

You definitely make a valid point though. You wouldn't want to initiate anything as this team hasn't been built for that style of hockey.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Gardiner + Timashov to Vegas for Hague + Reaves +4th.

Johnsson for McKeown + Kuokkanen

McQuaid for Vegas 4th + Leafs 7th.

Call up Moore to replace Johnsson.

Reaves is too important to their team right now and Hague is too important to them in the future.

Johnsson is too important to us moving forward for us to deal him for futures.

I have no issues with the McQuaid deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe stir **** was a bad term.

What I am saying is that if there is a line on an opponent's team that starts playing a little tougher, Kassian could be bumped up with Kadri and matched against said line. Or, if there is an opponent with a smaller team who could be thrown off by matching a Kassian/Kadri line to one of their lines.

You definitely make a valid point though. You wouldn't want to initiate anything as this team hasn't been built for that style of hockey.

The thing is that I seriously doubt we want Kassian being bumped up the line-up to face the Marchand and Wilson's of the world

Those guys are the physical threat we need to deal with imo

We either need somebody better that can take top 6 minutes or not bother imo

Reactions: Menzinger

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
And how cheap do you think he is going to come if he's capable of being a top 4 RD on a contender?

If he was really that good, he has absolutely no reason to command anything less than Zaitsev is making right now, unless he wanted to take a discount. Especially after what guys like Alzner, De Haan, etc. went for, and given there really is not much talent on the FA market for defense. Depending on your feelings about Myers, he's the best RD out there after Karlsson and Stralman.

We overpaid Zaitsev because Zaitsev had a 36 point season his first season here and Lou gave him a 7 year deal for some reason. He hasn't even got to 36 points his last 2 seasons combined. Alzner has been buried in the minors because his contract is bad and he is too. De Haans contract is looking like a steal with his 12 points this season.

So yeah, Jensen will definitely get a pay raise but I don't see him getting anything over 2 million considering his career high in points will be whatever he finishes this season with and he's currently at 15.

horner

May 22, 2007
The thing is that I seriously doubt we want Kassian being bumped up the line-up to face the Marchand and Wilson's of the world

Those guys are the physical threat we need to deal with imo

We either need somebody better that can take top 6 minutes or not bother imo
He can play on the 3rd or 4 th line.
But
He is there if someone starts to target Mathews Marner or Nylander .
Goat Chara into a fight
Know Chara is gone for 5 or 10 minutes.
You have to be ready for any game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He can play on the 3rd or 4 th line.
But
He is there if someone starts to target Mathews Marner or Nylander .
Goat Chara into a fight
Know Chara is gone for 5 or 10 minutes.
You have to be ready for any game.

If somebody goes after one of those kids he's not going to be on the ice at the same time as them, he's a 4th liner on this team

Doing something after the fact is nice but he's not a deterrent if somebody is going to something egregious beforehand

Reactions: kb

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If somebody goes after one of those kids he's not going to be on the ice at the same time as them, he's a 4th liner on this team

Doing something after the fact is nice but he's not a deterrent if somebody is going to something egregious beforehand

No I see him as more someone who lays the body on the opposition D and gets them hearing footsteps. An instigator whether he fights or not. Drawing penalties wins more games than fighting. And I like having a banger on defense who can randomly back up any line that is getting run, not necessarily babysit stars. The Leafs are set up to win only one type of game. They might go a whole playoff without seeing a bruising series, but laying the body on it traditionally how less skilled teams try to slow down the danglers. If you add some toughness the whole team will play a bit tougher. You don't need to win a fight to physically intimidate another club in today's game, but clubs can still be intimidated.

Reactions: baton elevated

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No I see him as more someone who lays the body on the opposition D and gets them hearing footsteps. An instigator whether he fights or not. Drawing penalties wins more games than fighting. And I like having a banger on defense who can randomly back up any line that is getting run, not necessarily babysit stars. The Leafs are set up to win only one type of game. They might go a whole playoff without seeing a bruising series, but laying the body on it traditionally how less skilled teams try to slow down the danglers. If you add some toughness the whole team will play a bit tougher. You don't need to win a fight to physically intimidate another club in today's game, but clubs can still be intimidated.

He's a guy

No matter what he does everybody knows that the rest of the team won't lay the body, we're just not built that way and we won't grind teams down over a 7 game playoff series like a Boston with only one physical player on the roster

To do that were going to need some major surgery, we'd be much better off embracing what we are and trying to play a fast up tempo game without the physicality of some of the other teams

Play our game instead of the other teams if you will

Reactions: Menzinger

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lol some people on here are gonna be for a big letdown at the Trade deadline. Theres no way Dubas is going to make 3 or 4 trades lol.

I suspect he'll do 1. MAYBE 2...but thats it. And I suspect it being a small depth type of trade.

All these Gardiner and Zaitsev proposals are just way too unrealistic at this point

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Kings
Kyle Clifford ($600,000 Ret)
for
Andreas Borgman

Leafs - Oilers
Zack Kassian & 2nd
for
Connor Brown & 5th

Leafs - Flyers
Leafs 2nd 2020 & Justin Holl
for
Radko Gudas

Leafs - Western Team
Jake Gardiner
for
1st, +

JOHNSSON - MATTHEWS - NYLANDER
HYMAN - - - - TAVARES - - - - MARNER
MARLEAU - - - - KADRI - - - - KAPANEN
CLIFFORD - - - GAUTHIER - - - KASSIAN

RIELLY - - - - GUDAS
MUZZIN - - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY

Reactions: baton elevated

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Leafs - Kings
for
Andreas Borgman

Leafs - Oilers
Zack Kassian & 2nd
for
Connor Brown & 5th

Leafs - Flyers
for
Radko Gudas

Leafs - Western Team
Jake Gardiner
for
1st, +

RIELLY - - - - GUDAS
MUZZIN - - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY

The Leafs get significantly tougher while simultaneously getting significantly worse heading into the playoffs. No chance of happening.

Gardiner >>> Gudas
Brown >> Kassian

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs - Oilers
Zack Kassian & 2nd
for
Connor Brown & 5th

If a trade like this can happen, I would be pumped as hell.
Brown is worth a lot more to a different team, and getting a better pick could really be useful for us down the line.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs - Kings
for
Andreas Borgman

Leafs - Oilers
Zack Kassian & 2nd
for
Connor Brown & 5th

Leafs - Flyers
for
Radko Gudas

Leafs - Western Team
Jake Gardiner
for
1st, +

RIELLY - - - - GUDAS
MUZZIN - - ZAITSEV
DERMOTT - HAINSEY

No need for both a Clifford or Kassian trade. Choose one or the other. I like Clifford trade because we don't lose many big assets. Gudas trade also makes sense.

Essentially I'm saying choose 2 out of the 3.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Personally, I think if we do end up getting Gudas...we should try to find Hainsey a home as well. The team that makes the most sense to me is the Penguins.

The pens are looking for bottom pairing stability. They re-acquire a player who they won a Stanley Cup with. I feel like teams re-acquiring former players happen all the time now.

3 small (depth) type of trades.

1. [Tor-LA] : Kyle Clifford (retained) for Andreas Borgman
2. [Tor-PHI] : Radko Gudas for 2nd + Holl
3. [Tor-Pitt] : Ron Hainsey for a 4th

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Mathews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Clifford-Gauthier-Brown
Ennis

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Gudas

(These would personally be my line combination).

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Too slow, too big, not enough skill. Basically a plug that cannot make our top 12.:sarcasm:

Forgot, probably takes dumb penalties.

He wasn’t slow at all, faster than a lot of guys on our team. He’s got more skill than Brown, Lindholm, Gauthier, Marleau at this point.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He wasn’t slow at all, faster than a lot of guys on our team. He’s got more skill than Brown, Lindholm, Gauthier, Marleau at this point.

I agree. A few weeks ago when it was suggested, I said if they go 1-1 for Brown take it and run. Others wanted Yotes to add a 4th or 5th pick.

21 year old, former #11 overall, 6'4", 220 pounds. I am Chyka, I am not giving away this kid for a plug named Brown. Yes, some will argue Brown scored 20 and that his declining numbers are due to playing with plugs but truth is, his offence has dried up. If he produced when playing with Matthews (the way Kappy did) he would not be dropped to the 4th line.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

LFF

Feb 17, 2019
If we are going to do it, let's do it:

First trade :2 prospect, a second and Nikita Zaitsev for Brandon Montour. Anaheim needs to rebuild and we unload Nikita Zaitsev.
or 1 prospect, second and Nikita Zaitsev for Radko Gudas

Second trade: Micheal Ferland and Brett Pesce for Andreas Johnsson , Jake Gardiner, and a prospect. we won't be able to afford Johnsson or Gardiner next year.
Your thoughts?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If we are going to do it, let's do it:

First trade :2 prospect, a second and Nikita Zaitsev for Brandon Montour. Anaheim needs to rebuild and we unload Nikita Zaitsev.
or 1 prospect, second and Nikita Zaitsev for Radko Gudas

Second trade: Micheal Ferland and Brett Pesce for Andreas Johnsson , Jake Gardiner, and a prospect. we won't be able to afford Johnsson or Gardiner next year.
Your thoughts?

Never thought Canes were a good trade partner if we were not offering Kappy or Willie. Canes now in a playoff spot so that ship has sailed.

In on Montour but do we have 2 prospects and is that enough to entice them to take Z and his contract back ?? You have to start with AJ or Kappy to get Montour back IMO.

Too much for Gudas, rather go cheap for McQuaid or Jensen.

horner

May 22, 2007

Ok you are right.
Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad