Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
This team has plenty of very young, high ceiling (in Fox's case, the orbit of Neptune) talent, and here we are talking about Julien Etem.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I’m of the opinion that we should start reconsidering how we evaluate offensive stats by taking into greater consideration the amount of time on ice at even strength the player receives. I’m not the first or even the first of thousands to say this but it’s relevant when discussing our guys.

If you score 10 goals at even strength playing ten minutes a game on the fourth line, that’s actually spectacular and the coach should consider rewarding the player with a promotion and more minutes.

As one poster here has been talking about for a while, Chytil was great in terms of even strength production per minute. Gauthier played less than ten minutes a game.

It's fine until you assume things are linear and ignore the fact that players who get less minutes per gave have a smaller sample size and thus more variance in their numbers.

For example, thinking Chytil is an elite 5v5 producer because of one season in a third line role at 2.59 pts/60 is just wildly misunderstanding how to interpret the numbers.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’m of the opinion that we should start reconsidering how we evaluate offensive stats by taking into greater consideration the amount of time on ice at even strength the player receives. I’m not the first or even the first of thousands to say this but it’s relevant when discussing our guys.

If you score 10 goals at even strength playing ten minutes a game on the fourth line, that’s actually spectacular and the coach should consider rewarding the player with a promotion and more minutes.

As one poster here has been talking about for a while, Chytil was great in terms of even strength production per minute. Gauthier played less than ten minutes a game.
Thing with Gauthier, he would get 2 games here, 3 games there with minimal time and not really good offensive talent. Very hard to get in a rhythm that way.
Towards the end, he was driving the net more, better along the boards, and using his shot a little more. There is definitely talent there, but I think with us he’s a victim of numbers.
I truly think he has 15-20 goal talent if a ARI, Seattle, or a Detroit give him a good long honest look with some offensive help in a top 9 role.
He’s never going to use his size/strength to be a banger, but he was using it better at shielding the puck and driving to the net.
I don’t think he fits the style of play Gallant wants In a bottom or even middle 6 role. Think Barron, Goodrow, Blais will all do more what is asked with guys like Cuylle, Berard, Richards, etc coming right behind. Gauthier just has no future here.
If he were good on the PK, or a dogged puck hound, it might be a different story. But truth is, rangers have better younger players with more interesting ceilings

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
It's pretty clear to me that whatever we think of Gauthier and Reunanen, Drury doesn't seem to think they are in the plans for this team they are building.

See, I'm not sure I agree.

Our people here have said that NYR were sniffing around Gauthier for a while before finally sending Keane to Carolina for him. Drury would have been highly involved in that deal.

Has the bloom fallen of the rose that fast for Drury Re: Goat?

I think he gets 1 more kick at the can here.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Rangers PR doesn't know anything. They may get a heads up from drury on, here are my hopes, but other than that, i wouldnt be surprised if both start in the AHL.

They are hyping both players for a reason, if you think they are just focusing on those two for no reason thats crazy, rangers PR is a puppet of the management. I'd be really surprised if Lundkvist started in the ahl, mildly surprised if Barron did given our number of forwards but given the way the Rangers are hyping both i think they both make it.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Thing with Gauthier, he would get 2 games here, 3 games there with minimal time and not really good offensive talent. Very hard to get in a rhythm that way.
Towards the end, he was driving the net more, better along the boards, and using his shot a little more. There is definitely talent there, but I think with us he’s a victim of numbers.
I truly think he has 15-20 goal talent if a ARI, Seattle, or a Detroit give him a good long honest look with some offensive help in a top 9 role.
He’s never going to use his size/strength to be a banger, but he was using it better at shielding the puck and driving to the net.
I don’t think he fits the style of play Gallant wants In a bottom or even middle 6 role. Think Barron, Goodrow, Blais will all do more what is asked with guys like Cuylle, Berard, Richards, etc coming right behind. Gauthier just has no future here.
If he were good on the PK, or a dogged puck hound, it might be a different story. But truth is, rangers have better younger players with more interesting ceilings

He's never getting in the top 6 on this roster, so he has to make hay with those types of minutes, its on him to play a style that suits his role in the lineup. There were games last year that he took himself out of the lineup with dumb penalties or weak play.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think he gets 1 more kick at the can here.

In my personal opinion, the only window for Gauthier here is if Kravtsov or Kakko were included in a trade for a franchise center.

Now he has to outplay Kravtsov in camp badly enough for NYR to risk sending VK down to Hartford again and pissing him off badly enough to retreat to Russia again.

Gaut isn't a good option as a 13th or 14th forward. He doesn't kill penalties and can't play center. We already have three fourth line types (Reaves, Blais, Hunt) with little to no PK experience. Gallant is going to favor keeping a Kevin Rooney or Morgan Barron around for that reason far more than Gauthier.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Did it just happen or did he wait for camp to start?

Probably one of those things where they tried to rehab it and it didn’t pan out.

If nothing else, good for Kevin to get some more time with his family. They must all still be in chock.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Lol. People think this kid should make the team? Looks like the organization doesn’t even think highly enough of him to give him a jersey number.

Tss, have you ever considered that his muscles might be so big that we don’t have a jersey that fits him? Or that he will be assigned No 11 on opening night and they are waiting to reveal it?

Reactions: dangsLITE

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Buch is gone let’s move on.

I don’t see how Barron makes this team unless 1 of 2 things happen;

1) Goodrow plays on the 4th line, getting only 6-10 minutes per night which would be a mistake and a waste of money spent.

2) The Rangers FO is ok with Barron playing 6-10 minutes per night, which would be dumb for his development. Because the reality is, at is stands today, he is not better or more suitable than the 9 players ahead of him for the Top 9. He is not better than Zib-Panarin-Laf-Kakko-Strome-Kravtsov-Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow. The Rangers told you what they thought of Kravtsov by not having him participate in the Prospect Development Camp and Games.

Barron should be in Hartford getting 17-20 minutes per night on the 1st Line as the #1 Center continuing to work at nailing down the nuances of the position. That is what is best for him and the Organization for THIS YEARS team. Maybe things change halfway through the season. Maybe we trade Strome, bump Chytil up and there’s your 3C spot if Barron shows he has earned it / ready for it.

I know some won’t like this but it is the reality. And its ok reality.

I think Barron can make the team with a good camp. He fits the mold of players who have succeeded under Gallant. His main competition to me would be Kravtsov (for a top 9 role) or Rooney (4C). If Kravtsov doesnt impress, he can easily find himself in Hartford. No one wants that obviously, but its a new coaching staff and mostly new front office who may view him differently. Rooney is a different story, as i can see a scenario where him and Barron make the team and Rooney/Reaves/Blais/Hunt rotate as the 4th line wings around Barron

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think Barron can make the team with a good camp. He fits the mold of players who have succeeded under Gallant. His main competition to me would be Kravtsov (for a top 9 role) or Rooney (4C). If Kravtsov doesnt impress, he can easily find himself in Hartford. No one wants that obviously, but its a new coaching staff and mostly new front office who may view him differently. Rooney is a different story, as i can see a scenario where him and Barron make the team and Rooney/Reaves/Blais/Hunt rotate as the 4th line wings around Barron
I just don't think the team wants Barron as 4C instead of playing more meaningful minutes in Hartford.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Unless Barron forces himself on the team, which means Kravtsov or Goodrow are not in the top9, I just done see it.

Injuries happen. There will be opportunity during the season. Once again, unless he comes out and is the best forward night in and night out, I just don't see it.

p.s.- I'm fine with Goodrow being on the 4th line.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Let me try one.

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kravtsov
Panarin-Chytil-Strome
Kreider-Barron-Kakko
Goodrow-Rooney-Blais

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either. Goodrow on the 4th line and Strome at RW are huge reaches. He's the first guy up if there's an injury in the top 9.

Reactions: LokiDog

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Unfortunately for Barron the Rangers failed to get rid of Strome, so he’s on the outside looking in

just too many forwards right now, unless Rooney completely shits the bed at camp, Barron is starting in Hartford

Reactions: TheDirtyH

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Training
upload_2021-9-21_16-15-48.png
Camp Roster

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They won’t do this since they’ll probably want to give a look to Blais/Goodrow as that key forechecker on Panarin’s line, but this is what I’m hoping to see once the season starts

Lafrenière-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Strome-Kravtsov
Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow
Blais-Rooney-Gauthier/Hunt/Reaves/Richards

4RW seems the most interchangeable spot at the moment, so any of those guys could realistically win a chance there.

Defense is almost too easy to guess unless someone like Jones or Schneider blows the doors off camp

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Nemeth-Lundkvist
Tinnordi/Bitetto/Hajek

Shesterkin
Georgiev

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So pretty much everyone not in the NCAA or Europe, plus a few

Brody Lamb returned to Green Bay, but other than that, they all made it.

and only extra try-out, beyond NYR contracts and Prospect camp attendees, seems to be
Tanner Fritz, just signed last week to AHL deal, after last 4 on NHL deals w NYI (played mostly at Bridgeport)

[ ... yes Geertsen and Elmer are on NHL deals ...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad