Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I personally believe that both Sather AND Drury helped the process along with getting both Gorton and JD fired.

Its one thing to have outsiders chirping. If you trust the guys in charge, all that is is white noise.

I have no doubt that both Glenn and Chris were chirping from the inside and THAT would carry greater weight when added to the outside noise.

Olbermann is still a POS, not gonna dispute that, but I do share the same opinion regarding how the management change took place

Meh, they were probably on board with the "we need to get tougher" mantra, but I think JG and JD were also on board with that but too slow with the process.

I really think this is as simple as Dolan watching those games vs. the Islanders, getting spanked and shut down, and the Wilson/Capitals game. That's all it took for Dolan to get impulsive and change the direction of the club.

Reactions: egelband

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We went from rookie coach and vet GM, to vet coach and rookie GM ...

At least we have a legit roster and a vet coach, GM can't f*** up a whole lot imo.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Rangers have a lot of depth on the wings at the moment. A few players that fans really like won't be getting enough playing time -- likely two of Kravtsov, Kakko, Laf and Blais will have their minutes curtailed by circumstances nearly every game. And I think STYLE of play will be heavily stressed at the start of the year. Players with hustle and jam will be prioritized at times in a way that piss off fans but will actually lead to a team identity much sooner than in the last 2 seasons.

20-93-13
10-16-21
29-72-24
74-17-75

(I know. This is terrible to have Kravtsov on the 4th line. I hate it too. But I think something like this is likely.)

Extras: 91, 15.

I think Gauthier is gone. I think GG will fall in love with Dryden Hunt. And I think he will become this year's Blackwell. Maybe not so much in the scoring dept but in terms of versatility. Barron may start year in the minors. But Barron is ready.

I don't think GG will want to put two young top 6 forwards on the same line. Which means one of Kakko, Laf and Kravtsov may be on the 4th line on a nightly basis.

I could see Goodrow, Hunt, and possibly Blais getting more minutes than we expect. Honestly a lineup that allowed us to play both Rooney and Barron on the 4th line might be the most versatile lineup we can ice. Having a lineup with 6 guys who can take draws is fantastic esp for the PK.

D is easier.

5-23
79-8
12-64

22, 25 in the minors to start the year. Robertson, Jones, Skinner, Reunanen and Schneider also in the A.

Reactions: jay from jersey

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Prediction: GG will get the team playing with a strong identity. At first we'll be annoyed at what that mans for some of the kids. But we will grow to accept it because by the 2nd quarter of the season we'll go on a bit of a streak. Once the team is playing with an identity that we love, then we will finally care less about all the kids' stat lines. We'll find ourselves caring less if Chytil..Laf, Kravtsov and Kakko end up with 40 pts because we'll be winning and many of the kids will look really good because they'll be fitting into a larger team structure. They're overall effectiveness as linemates will supercede their point totals.

But there will be hemming and hawing when one or more of them aren't getting enough TOI.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its always great to have Ranger property at the WJC. Also a great experience for the kids.

Send Cuylle back to Windsor and have him dominate, play in Gothenberg around the holidays and then make him a pro next year if it makes sense.

There is time to be patient, no reason to rush him.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I expect a meaner team, knife between the teeth as we say here. Bad mf's.

Oh, how long I've been waiting for such a Rangers team.

It slowly started with Ryan "blood sacrifice" Lindgren and it will really get going this year.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Brooksie always needs something to complain about. Last year it was Lundkvist going to free agency instead of signing with the Rangers. Cuylle needs to play and he will get major minutes in the OHL. He barely played last season. How many minutes is Knoblauch giving to a 19 year old player? Larry needs to relax, Life is short for frivolous shit.

not a Brooks fan yet wasn’t sure about this whole AHL/OHL situation and the mindset of Cuylle. He’s only 19 so doubt he’s ready yet if he thinks he’s getting better and going to the OHL you never know how some of these kids respond. Just want to be careful with the kids these days.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Meh, they were probably on board with the "we need to get tougher" mantra, but I think JG and JD were also on board with that but too slow with the process.

I really think this is as simple as Dolan watching those games vs. the Islanders, getting spanked and shut down, and the Wilson/Capitals game. That's all it took for Dolan to get impulsive and change the direction of the club.
When you’ve got an 80 mil asset getting slammed into the ice and a team that wasn’t built to mitigate that kind of risk, well I can see Dolan’s point of view on management performance. Even an idiot can be right on occasion.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Prediction: GG will get the team playing with a strong identity. At first we'll be annoyed at what that mans for some of the kids. But we will grow to accept it because by the 2nd quarter of the season we'll go on a bit of a streak. Once the team is playing with an identity that we love, then we will finally care less about all the kids' stat lines. We'll find ourselves caring less if Chytil..Laf, Kravtsov and Kakko end up with 40 pts because we'll be winning and many of the kids will look really good because they'll be fitting into a larger team structure. They're overall effectiveness as linemates will supercede their point totals.

But there will be hemming and hawing when one or more of them aren't getting enough TOI.

I also think they'll be an adjustment period for both GG and the players, specifically some of our top vet players. The kids will do whatever is asked of them.

I feel that Lafreniere will "break out". I put that in quotes because I still feel his rookie season really started at the half way point due to Covid, the lack of a true camp/preseason and because he didnt play for like a year leading up to his first pro season.

He will be given the opportunity to play top minutes and PP because he'll earn it. The final 20 games of last season or so he was scoring at a much higher rate and I think thats what we'll see from him this season - 50-60 points.

Kravstov and Kakko may find themselves in a battle for minutes with each other. We'll see what happens there. But I can tell you right now if Kakko plays the way he did last season defensively you can bet your ass GG will trust him and start putting him out there as much as he can.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
For me the interesting guys are Kreider, Nils, Chytil, Miller, Reaves, Jones & Blais. A lot was committed to Goodrow. He will play and he will be on the ice a lot in close games, PK, etc. He will be a big part of their identity so lets hope he assimilates well in the GGs system and the roster.

Kreider - Which wing / line will he be on? My hope is he stays on the left, "3rd" line to deepen the bench, but he must play PP1 in his role.

Nils - Will he make the team? (Yes) How much will he be trusted and will he have a chance to get some PP time? I am dying to see a Nils-Fox point on PP1. Fox doesnt have much of a one timer and excels on either side of the ice. Seeing those two out there together would be incredible.

Chytil - I believe he will be in the middle. They need to see what they have and if he can be elevated to Stromes spot. He very well may shock us all and completely go off. Strome may find himself on the 3rd line and not with Panarin if he starts the year off like the last 2.

Miller - Will we see the Miller that began last season or ended it? I think he will come out very strong and he and Trouba will solidify the defense. How quickly will Gallant realizes the greatness of Fox? Will he rely on the Miller-Trouba pairing in certain spots over Fox-Lindgren?

Reaves - How effective is his game? We know GG trusts him, but will he be as effective and playing the minutes he had when they were both in Vegas? How quickly will GG pull him from the lineup if there are other options in the system that can provide more?

Jones - This kid is an NHL player. Without a doubt. Does he get time? How much? He is still very young and needs NHL minutes. Good problem to have, but also interesting to see who GG's "guys" become.

Blais - Where does he fit in this lineup? He played 2nd line minutes as well as being healthy scratched with the Blues. What will GG get out of him and how will his game fit into this roster/system.

Reactions: egelband

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Possible, but when was the last time Dolan did anything impulsive regarding the Rangers?

He has relied on Sather for the last 20 years. Now he's going to disregard counsel? Or was it still leaning on the old man??

It is a legit question

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Possible, but when was the last time Dolan did anything impulsive regarding the Rangers?

He has relied on Sather for the last 20 years. Now he's going to disregard counsel? Or was it still leaning on the old man??

It is a legit question

I think I was pretty specific in stating that Sather and Drury probably echoed the #tuffness sentiments that probably lead to the exodus. Nowhere did I infer that Dolan would disregard Sather’s counsel either. I still think it was impulsive and fueled by the Islander/Washington embarrassments. We might never know.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rangers have a lot of depth on the wings at the moment. A few players that fans really like won't be getting enough playing time -- likely two of Kravtsov, Kakko, Laf and Blais will have their minutes curtailed by circumstances nearly every game. And I think STYLE of play will be heavily stressed at the start of the year. Players with hustle and jam will be prioritized at times in a way that piss off fans but will actually lead to a team identity much sooner than in the last 2 seasons.

20-93-13
10-16-21
29-72-24
74-17-75

(I know. This is terrible to have Kravtsov on the 4th line. I hate it too. But I think something like this is likely.)

I think Gauthier is gone. I think GG will fall in love with Dryden Hunt. And I think he will become this year's Blackwell. Maybe not so much in the scoring dept but in terms of versatility. Barron may start year in the minors. But Barron is ready.

I don't think GG will want to put two young top 6 forwards on the same line. Which means one of Kakko, Laf and Kravtsov may be on the 4th line on a nightly basis.

I could see Goodrow, Hunt, and possibly Blais getting more minutes than we expect. Honestly a lineup that allowed us to play both Rooney and Barron on the 4th line might be the most versatile lineup we can ice. Having a lineup with 6 guys who can take draws is fantastic esp for the PK.

D is easier.

5-23
79-8
12-64

22, 25 in the minors to start the year. Robertson, Jones, Skinner, Reunanen and Schneider also in the A.
I don’t think many people are going to like it. But if strome panarin is a thing, bet your ass goodrow or Blais is doing the dirty work as a 3rd wheel on that line.
Barron is ready......
Skinner might be our 3rd pair rookie D in 3 years....
Love the way some of our young kids are looking. D should be a massive upgrade as well.
They are going to logically take 2 guys per line
Strome-Panarin
Zibby-LaF
Kreider -Chytil
Etc and try to find a 3rd with the right chemistry. Book it. That’s what we’ll see the first month or so.
Being a realist.... this post sums up pretty much everything I expect. It’s not going to be a cookie cutter top 9 with Blais-Rooney-Reaves on 4th and hunt as and extra...

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
For me the interesting guys are Kreider, Nils, Chytil, Miller, Reaves, Jones & Blais. A lot was committed to Goodrow. He will play and he will be on the ice a lot in close games, PK, etc. He will be a big part of their identity so lets hope he assimilates well in the GGs system and the roster.

Kreider - Which wing / line will he be on? My hope is he stays on the left, "3rd" line to deepen the bench, but he must play PP1 in his role.

Nils - Will he make the team? (Yes) How much will he be trusted and will he have a chance to get some PP time? I am dying to see a Nils-Fox point on PP1. Fox doesnt have much of a one timer and excels on either side of the ice. Seeing those two out there together would be incredible.

Chytil - I believe he will be in the middle. They need to see what they have and if he can be elevated to Stromes spot. He very well may shock us all and completely go off. Strome may find himself on the 3rd line and not with Panarin if he starts the year off like the last 2.

Miller - Will we see the Miller that began last season or ended it? I think he will come out very strong and he and Trouba will solidify the defense. How quickly will Gallant realizes the greatness of Fox? Will he rely on the Miller-Trouba pairing in certain spots over Fox-Lindgren?

Reaves - How effective is his game? We know GG trusts him, but will he be as effective and playing the minutes he had when they were both in Vegas? How quickly will GG pull him from the lineup if there are other options in the system that can provide more?

Jones - This kid is an NHL player. Without a doubt. Does he get time? How much? He is still very young and needs NHL minutes. Good problem to have, but also interesting to see who GG's "guys" become.

Blais - Where does he fit in this lineup? He played 2nd line minutes as well as being healthy scratched with the Blues. What will GG get out of him and how will his game fit into this roster/system.

All good questions and that's why it's so important that we have a coach who actually knows what he is doing and has the experience, leadership, and knowledge to make those decisions.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think I was pretty specific in stating that Sather and Drury probably echoed the #tuffness sentiments that probably lead to the exodus. Nowhere did I infer that Dolan would disregard Sather’s counsel either. I still think it was impulsive and fueled by the Islander/Washington embarrassments. We might never know.

Agreed.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don’t know if it was a crisis of leadership or a major divide in the room, but that complete lack of hustle/urgency was never on display like it was last season.

This is one of the reasons I am hoping that Trouba, not Kreider, is named captain. Kreider just isn't a lead by example type guy on the ice.

If he was fighting an injury all last season, that's one thing. But I think the only reason why Chris is in the captaincy conversation is because of his tenure.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
While I definitely am hopefully that some or all of KK, Laf, Krav, Chytil take a big step this year and put some points on the board, I wouldn’t be surprised if none of them breaks 50 points. Laf would be the most likely customer to exceed that. I could see them all in 35-50 range with Laf maybe being in the 50-60 range. While that would be disappointing, it would likely be a symptom of our depth and scoring being spread out, and would also keep KK and Krav cheap on their next deals. I don’t think it would be an indication of poor growth, unless performance was generally bad, but more the result of the line combinations and depth throughout the lineup. I could see us having 7-8 forwards in the 40+ point range where only Mika and Bread are in that 70+ range. Moreover, I would be less surprised if one or both of Goodrow and Blais saw career years than I would be if one the kids broke out for 60+ points. That doesn’t mean I expect huge years from those two, but they may both be in for increased usage and some opportunities with Panarin and I could see them both out producing their previous bests.

If Blais, Goodrow, Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Laf, Kreider, Strome, Panarin, Zibanejad all post 35+ points that’s a lot of depth and it isn’t outside the realm of possibility.

Let’s say:

Blais: 35
Goodrow: 39
Chytil: 39
Kravtsov: 36
Kakko: 42
Kreider: 46
Laf: 51
Strome: 65
Zib: 88
Panarin: 100

As fair projections. Sure Blais could have ~10 less, but any of the kids could also have ~10 more easily if they take a step. If we stay healthy, this should be a nice, deep, versatile forward group that gets it done by committee with Bread and Zib leading the way.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
RE: Kreisler

Chris has always played with a RH center. From Stepan to Mika. A righty has an easier time making the pass to a streaking Kreider than an lefty. Why can’t we start the season looking like this:

Laf - Mika -KK
Panarin - Chytil - Goodrow
Kreider - Strome - Krav
Reeves - Rooney - Blais

Maybe flip Goodrow and Kravtsov…

Then if Fil proves he can handle the minutes Strome gets shipped out to a team with injuries at the C position and Barron steps in to that slot…

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

20-93-13
10-16-21
29-72-24
74-17-75

D is easier.

5-23
79-8
12-64

These might be the worst projected lines I’ve seen. LaF playing his off wing. Kakko with Dryden Hunt and Filip Chytil on the 3rd line. Kravtsov on the 4th line with Ryan Reaves??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad