Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
How do you determine he is a bust? He has produced at every level. He had the shortest leash for some odd f***ing reason with dumb Quinn while others had an undeserving longer leash. But in his limited time he managed 5 points in 30 GP. Again, keep in mind there were games where he had less than 7 minutes of ice time. He hit at least 3 posts that if they bounce differently he has 3 more goals. The kid has a really good shot. If those go in he is at a 0.16 G/GP pace. That would be good for 13 goals over 82. And if you actually let the kid have a shot with some more minutes while enduring the growing pains, he could net 20 goals. He may not be the best defensive forward but we also employ Ryan Strome.

And I just don’t understand this nonsense about him playing like a mouse. He had 56 hits in 30 games. AGAIN, with limited ice time. That number would be higher. He constantly drives towards the net and is always around the net mouth. He is not afraid of the dirty areas. I just dont know where this narrative comes from.

2 goals in 47 NHL games is for sure not producing at every level. Maybe he has a short leash because he isnt good.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
2 goals in 47 NHL games is for sure not producing at every level. Maybe he has a short leash because he isnt good.
I guess context doesn’t matter at all to you. Just read a number, from a very small sample size albeit, and say “bust”.

Seems pretty logical.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I guess context doesn’t matter at all to you. Just read a number, from a very small sample size albeit, and say “bust”.

Seems pretty logical.

Im baffled you watch him play and can even say "yep hes a 20 goal scorer". He has negative hockey IQ, is lost out there 80% of the time

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's pretty clear to me that whatever we think of Gauthier and Reunanen, Drury doesn't seem to think they are in the plans for this team they are building.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Im baffled you watch him play and can even say "yep hes a 20 goal scorer". He has negative hockey IQ, is lost out there 80% of the time
are we still talking about gauthier?
He's made bad plays at times, but Negative hockey IQ is definitely not even close to accurate.

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Your baffled? I guess you were able to formulate your assessment based off the 6-7 minutes he was getting in a 60 minute game. That’s pretty impressive actually….

Didn’t say he would be a 20 goal scorer next year. But yes I certainly believe that given more of an opportunity, he could absolutely put in 10-15 goals easily. He has the skating and shot to do it. He needs ice time. He needs Coaches that will at least give him a slightly longer leash. It was straight insanity that in a covid-shortened season with a rebuilding team, that had star players struggling to score and missing period of time, that Dumb Quinn couldn’t possibly allow more ice time for Gauthier. That is actually what would be a good reason to be “baffled”

Reactions: NYR Viper

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Your baffled? I guess you were able to formulate your assessment based off the 6-7 minutes he was getting in a 60 minute game. That’s pretty impressive actually….

Didn’t say he would be a 20 goal scorer next year. But yes I certainly believe that given more of an opportunity, he could absolutely put in 10-15 goals easily. He has the skating and shot to do it. He needs ice time. He needs Coaches that will at least give him a slightly longer leash. It was straight insanity that in a covid-shortened season with a rebuilding team, that had star players struggling to score and missing period of time, that Dumb Quinn couldn’t possibly allow more ice time for Gauthier. That is actually what would be a good reason to be “baffled”

264 forwards scored 10+ goals in the last full season. 178 scored 15+. A lot of players can do that "easily." A 10-15 goal player who is not a good playmaker and/or not a good defensive player is a bad player.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I will say that his play style fits alot closer with what Gallant like wants out of his players, straight ahead speed, quick hard shots.
However, we do not have any room in our top 9. Its both a good and bad problem. At this point i'd package him in a deal for maybe a future. A team like AZ or CBJ might want him since he's under contract for a bit.

Reactions: Lays

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Gauthier has good speed, size and a shot, none of which he uses nearly enough to make him special in the nhl. He needs to find a niche, I've said it before but even Howden realized he was on the verge of being an AHL player and worked on being a penalty killer, you can debate whether he should have been on the team or not but atleast he knew he wasn't getting in the top 9 and needed to do something to set him apart from the others looking for 4th line minutes. Gauthier needs to embrace the fact he's a bottom line player on this team and do something to force his way in the lineup. I could see him being a Pouliot style player but he needs to use his body more but thats all just my opinion. I honestly think he was the big loser in the expansion draft as him getting on Seattle likely would have gotten him in a top 9 role or maybe higher with their weak roster.

Reactions: BobSantos

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
There are a few unsigned group II free agents who will not be reporting to camp tomorrow. Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson are skating together in Michigan. Petterssson was in Vancouver but he joined Hughes in Michigan. They are apparently very good friends and are represented by the same agency. CAA. Pat Brisson and JP Barry.

Brady Tkachuk. Ottawa offered him $64M over 8 years. The structure is the problem. Tkachuk wants signing bonus money in the contract. Eugene Melnyk doesn't want to give signing bonuses.

Kirill Kaprizov. The Wild offered him $72M over 8 years. He wanted more money. Mike Russo had reported the Wild and Kaprizov were discussing a short term deal for the same amount of money. Nothing has happened. Kaprizov will have to quarantine when he arrives in Minnesota. He wants signing bonus money. Russo wrote about tax benefits for Kaprizov if he gets the money in the form of a signing bonus. Kaprizov might have an issue with the NHL Covid protocols because the Russian vaccine is not recognized by the the NHL. That situation is a mess.

Rasmus Dahlin and Robert Thomas are the other unsigned group II free agents.

The Rangers could be in the same boat with Kakko and Kravtsov. One of these players will have a breakout season. What does Winnipeg want for Bryan Little's contract next summer? He will have two more years remaining after this season. Little's career is basically over but he has not announced his retirement. $5,291,667 cap hit.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If anyone is wondering who's making this team before training camp starts just look at the Rangers facebook page, its 80 percent Lundkvist and Barron. I don't disagree with either making it but it appears to be a foregone conclusion.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
264 forwards scored 10+ goals in the last full season. 178 scored 15+. A lot of players can do that "easily." A 10-15 goal player who is not a good playmaker and/or not a good defensive player is a bad player.
Is he the best defensive player? No. Is he the worst? Also no. He needs time. I cannot make a determination one way or the other on his defensive play based on limited ice time. But he has the raw tools and the offensive skill that he should get a longer look to see if he can provide just enough defensive play and if he can be a 20+ goal scorer in the league.

Reactions: BobSantos

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If anyone is wondering who's making this team before training camp starts just look at the Rangers facebook page, its 80 percent Lundkvist and Barron. I don't disagree with either making it but it appears to be a foregone conclusion.
Rangers PR doesn't know anything. They may get a heads up from drury on, here are my hopes, but other than that, i wouldnt be surprised if both start in the AHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I’m of the opinion that we should start reconsidering how we evaluate offensive stats by taking into greater consideration the amount of time on ice at even strength the player receives. I’m not the first or even the first of thousands to say this but it’s relevant when discussing our guys.

If you score 10 goals at even strength playing ten minutes a game on the fourth line, that’s actually spectacular and the coach should consider rewarding the player with a promotion and more minutes.

As one poster here has been talking about for a while, Chytil was great in terms of even strength production per minute. Gauthier played less than ten minutes a game.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I’m of the opinion that we should start reconsidering how we evaluate offensive stats by taking into greater consideration the amount of time on ice at even strength the player receives. I’m not the first or even the first of thousands to say this but it’s relevant when discussing our guys.

If you score 10 goals at even strength playing ten minutes a game on the fourth line, that’s actually spectacular and the coach should consider rewarding the player with a promotion and more minutes.

As one poster here has been talking about for a while, Chytil was great in terms of even strength production per minute. Gauthier played less than ten minutes a game.

Are we not already doing that? 5v5 production is a good indicator of overall production, depending on level of competition. If youre feasting on a 4th line match up, but you cant produce 5v5 vs a top line, not so much.

Gauthier got very little ice time in general, and he had games where he looked above avg, but he also had games where he looked bad.
Quinn for being hired as a developmental coach, made alot of the kids hesitant to actually develop, and gave short leashes to kids.
Gauthier is unfortunately one of the bigger victims of that. Quinn couldn't get away with benching Laf and Kakko, but still gave them almost no PP time last year.

Reactions: egelband

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Longer leash is always the answer. Its been said about any player ever who failed. Some just cant accept that he isnt good enough

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It's pretty clear to me that whatever we think of Gauthier and Reunanen, Drury doesn't seem to think they are in the plans for this team they are building.
I don’t really see why they should be tbh. They’re bottom of the line up/replacement level players at the moment and I don’t see much upside beyond that.

IMO, Gauthier is the player people like to act like Chris Kreider is.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad