TSN: Sparks - All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He comes off as a complete hero nerd in the process but it seems he was defending a challenged person, so how is this call a bad look for him?
It was his own Facebook site. Then rather then delete the posts he used profanity and name calling while defending a person who was called names. Very poor decision and immature.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Shilton is dead on. The insinuation is very clearly that he's not been given a fair opportunity. Otherwise there is zero reason for the quote to past tense.

Orrrrr he is a hockey player. Speaking with emotion and didn’t realize he was giving a sworn statement to the grammar police?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why say anything is more the point. He got a contract from our GM after watching his performance this year. That was more then fair. He should have said nothing but I am looking forward to an opportunity to prove that I am a capable goalie.
It is an odd write-up, the writer also says ...

"He beat out Mcbackup and Calvin Pickard for the backup role behind Frederik Andersen thanks to a strong showing in training camp and pre-season, which resulted in both McElhinney and Pickard being placed on waivers and claimed."

Reactions: qqaz

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It is an odd write-up, the writer also says ...

"He beat out Mcbackup and Calvin Pickard for the backup role behind Frederik Andersen thanks to a strong showing in training camp and pre-season, which resulted in both McElhinney and Pickard being placed on waivers and claimed."
Both the writer and him are delusional period.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dubad tried to get tricky and save money. He tried to ram Sparks into that role because of a Calder cup. All the fans saw and said he sucked. He didn't beat out Hutchinson who looked competent and relaxed. Sparks looked like Raycroft if he had drank 20 cups of coffee. His timing was terrible and he was fishing for pucks. Most of his saves were accidents. It cost us home advantage which may have cost us the series. Sparks had no chance here since the fans would have boo ed him into oblivion.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sparks is a pretty well spoken guy and generally articulates himself pretty well in interviews. I definitely do think his quote is being mistakenly taken out of context, but also agree that even what he was meaning to say was miss placed and he should have just given a generic hockey response there instead of tears.

Comes across more as an abrasive loud mouth and goofball than a well spoken guy. From a room dynamic POV it must have been so annoying to see a guy this terrible at his position calling out teammates for playing with passion/heart.

Brownies

I understand it differently than most. I think he knows he disappointed last year, so wouldn’t have had a real chance at winning the backup spot back with the Leafs. New team new system, he’ll probably at least get a serious look at the camp. Badly worded, but I think it only refers to the next year.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Comes across more as an abrasive loud mouth and goofball than a well spoken guy. From a room dynamic POV it must have been so annoying to see a guy this terrible at his position calling out teammates for playing with passion/heart.

But he's an emotional guy and plays with emotion...:sarcasm:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He will not be in the AHL after this season. He was never a good goalie. I watched him play and his save selection and tracking the puck was among the worse I ever saw.

This evaluation reminds me of when The monster Gustavsson played for TOR. I listened to a NJD broadcast and Glenn Chico Resch was the colour commentator. He said that Gustavsson's glove hand (catch and release) was the worst he'd ever seen. That he "clearly didn't grow up playing catch with his Dad."

I have to agree with you. Sparks' playoff run to the Calder Cup was nothing to admire. His fundamentals didn't seem to be there at all. I always thought that he just lucked into winning games with his height and large equipment.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It was his own Facebook site. Then rather then delete the posts he used profanity and name calling while defending a person who was called names. Very poor decision and immature.

It was poor decision making on his part. that said in context he was defending somebody with disabilities so imo his heart was at least in the right place

Reactions: Its not your fault

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Can I split the difference? He couldn't come back to the organization this Fall, he overstepped his place in the pecking order and undoubtedly peeved a few people in the organization. But I really wish him well. His ill-timed awkwardness has never seemed malicious.

Yeah, that's how I feel.

Ultimately he wasn't going to work out but he at least was an interesting guy to follow cosndoering the personality of most players is on par with a piece of plywood.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean what more could he want? he was gifted the job despite being the worst goalie in camp because he is friends with the GM he then proceeded to fail.

When you get a shot you out not deserve you better deliver and he could not have failed worse.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This guy fking stinks. Legit garbage goalie. So glad we dumped this egotistic clown. Guy can’t just shut up and get it through his head that he’s a bum goalie.

Guy belongs in ECHL as a backup.

He’ll forever be remembered as Garrett SHARTS in my books.

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
He was never good in the NHL and McBackup was. Seems he was given a rare opportunity based on a Calder Cup. I didn't watch him enough in the AHL to judge, but I'm glad he's gone and was sad McBackup left.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
He should have never been given that game. Wasn't impressed with Babs going with that plug over Andersen in a game that means a lot to a star player of ours. He needed to switch up for 1 game. Let Sparks play the Blue Jackets and give Freddie the second half of the back to back and play the Islanders. Babs is way too stuck in his ways sometimes
What you described is way to complicated for Babcock.

Reactions: Nylander88

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I feel Sparks earned his opportunity over the past few years ...I don't have a problem with promoting within and having your farm team feel like they have a legitimate shot.

However...I feel he was given a good look during the 2018/19 season and he played poorly. I couldn't believe just how poorly he played. This team can't afford to give him another chance given the pressure on them. Garrett ....Sparks had the amazing ability this year to play well below his size...I can't stand it when a tall goaltender makes himself small in the net...he found a way to do that every week.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
We lost a great back up in McElhinney
To give this Frozen Applejuice (Scheifele-ism) an opportunity.

So far he has been Dubas biggest mistake

Without a doubt but I see why Dubas did what he did. Good for Dubas to cut his losses and move on. He's not letting his ego come on the way of his judgement

As for Sparks. Bro, you got some nerves. We gave up a goalie who few years ago stopped Sydney Crosby to on an open net to take us to the playoffs
Who would have never complained or call his team mates out. McElhinney by the looks of it will be in NHL in few years and you won't be

The thing is bud, you spend 6 years in AHL 4 of which in a lousy Leafs team and you couldn't win a spot. Shame on you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad