TSN: Sparks - All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
We axed one of the best backups in the league to give Sparks a "fair opportunity." Not the Leafs fault he faceplanted. What were they supposed to do? Anoint him the starter?

Oh and thanks again for completely crapping your pants vs. NYI in Tavares' comeback game. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, jackass.

Go Leafs Go!!

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He's always been a hothead. Bye.
Hothead? I wouldnt say that at all. I liked him as a person.

But he had his chances for sure and it didnt work out. With him in net the leafs struggled. He had trouble stopping the puck and thats sort of his job. He was bad. End of story.

Vegas wont play him much either. And if he carries the attitude that saying this shows he will be gone from the NHL next summer.

Reactions: Blueboy

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I agree with him to an extent.

It’s hard to break into the league as a young backup goalie, most especially on a team like the leafs who are obviously in “win now” mode. Teams in “win now” mode need something more reliable and secure than a young rookie backup.

Vegas is probably a better opportunity. But what he really needs is a team like Ottawa.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Hothead? I wouldnt say that at all. I liked him as a person.

But he had his chances for sure and it didnt work out. With him in net the leafs struggled. He had trouble stopping the puck and thats sort of his job. He was bad. End of story.

Vegas wont play him much either. And if he carries the attitude that saying this shows he will be gone from the NHL next summer.
Member this?

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story...-suspended-for-vulgar-facebook-message-112816

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Subban played more NHL games than Hutchinson and Neuvirth combined last season, so I don't know that the opportunity will really be any better with VGK. I guess any further opportunity with the Leafs would look to have ended upon the conclusion of the regular season though.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This guy needs to shut up.
He was literally gifted an opportunity, against the better judgement of everyone with a set of eyeballs. Sick of hearing him whine.
He kind of did earn his opportunity with his ahl hap Holmes award, and calder cup.
He wasn’t “gifted” the opportunity. But he most certainly did blow the opportunity. No argument there.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Leafs HfBoards reflect on emotionally taxing viewing of Garret Sparks.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sparks is mentally weak right now, imo and his NHL career is in doubt. Sparks calls out his team ...“We need more emotion from everybody. We need people to get angry. We need people to step up and get mad and take it personally,”

He had 3 losses that week and played awful, in fact he was brutal all year. I wonder how his team-mates felt hearing Sparks call out the squad in the media. The back up tendy with 18 games played in the NHL. He seems too rattled letting in goals, is very active almost panic vibes when watching him.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
- Shows up to camp, shits the bed.

- Was given the backup spot over a much better candidate because of his performance the year before.

- He's given an entire season to get his play together and is bad all year.

- Calls out his teammates after he performs poorly for the umpteenth time.

- Is sent home during the playoffs.

- Cries that he wasn't given a fair shot. After all of the above.

This kid is delusional. He'll never be anything more than an AHL goalie. Have fun playing behind Subban!

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
He got outplayed by Picard and McBackup last preseason yet got the job and his playstyle doesn't seem to inspire consistency. Don't know why he's acting like he never got a chance.

Reactions: yubbers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->