TSN: Sparks - All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
As the f***ing new guy you don't f***ing call out vet's, especially when those vet's are Patrick Marleau, JT and Hainsey. What the hell was he thinking?

Reactions: qqaz

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yup. Had no bearing on the playoffs whatsoever

He's the only reason we failed in the playoffs? It had nothing to do with like, the coach or the players who played in the playoffs, or any of the other players who didn't play well? I don't see this type of hatred pointed anywhere else.

I'm not even defending him. He played poorly and sucks with words. But he was just a rookie backup who didn't play well. Obviously the chosen scape-goat.

Last edited:

member 300185

This clown has had more than 1 fair shot. He just blew it because he is a sucky goalie. And to think I once defended him. Not anymore. The way it works is when you get your chance to play, you have to be good, and Sparks was not.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The amount of vile hatred for a backup goaltender who wasn't good enough seems pretty over-the-top around here.

Not to mention his statement was about the upcoming season-it wasn't a comment on his time on the Leafs.

Ill.never understand the vitriol this guy seemed to cause some.folks on here to spout off

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He's the only reason we failed in the playoffs? It had nothing to do with like, the coach or the players who played in the playoffs, or any of the other players who didn't play well? I don't see this type of hatred pointed anywhere else.

I'm not even defending him. He played poorly and sucks with words. But he was just a rookie backup who didn't play well. Obviously the chosen scape-goat.

no I meant he didn't play =- had no effect on the playoffs or "home ice advantage" as some like to claim :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He just is easy to dislike, a combination of things he says combined with his play.
Not his fault he's not very good and likely cost the team home ice, that's on Dubas for keeping him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not to mention his statement was about the upcoming season-it wasn't a comment on his time on the Leafs.

Ill.never understand the vitriol this guy seemed to cause some.folks on here to spout off
Because he is a poor goalie and a idiot to boot. Opening his yap and telling his team mates to play better when he was our worse player by a long way.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'm pretty sure I can pick 1 or 2 corners on him if I got 15-20 shots - I suck.

Garrett, there are many holes in your game but the biggest hole is in your head.

Also I'm almost positive you're reading this.

Reactions: qqaz and thewave

Todd03

May 28, 2016
This guy need to stop being a bitch about everything. He's not very good so shout the hell up

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
A thread is too much for Sparkskola...

Didn't this guy not practice by choice last summer??? #nopro

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It was poor decision making on his part. that said in context he was defending somebody with disabilities so imo his heart was at least in the right place
Plenty of things start with good intentions but crossing the line because you can't control your feelings still has consequences.

Reactions: qqaz

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Subban played more NHL games than Hutchinson and Neuvirth combined last season, so I don't know that the opportunity will really be any better with VGK. I guess any further opportunity with the Leafs would look to have ended upon the conclusion of the regular season though.

This could be part of what he means. Going to Vegas means he can likely play more games in the season instead of ONLY the back half of back-to-backs.

Reactions: Buds17

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Sparks knew/knows he has 100% zero chance of making Leafs next season after being told to scram at seasons end... He is going to get waived in Vegas or released and end up in the AHL and we most likely will never see or hear about him again

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This could be part of what he means. Going to Vegas means he can likely play more games in the season instead of ONLY the back half of back-to-backs.

Maybe. I think Sparks played just one fewer game than Subban last season though. Will depend on how many starts Fleury makes, and of course, also on whether or not Sparks can take the backup role from Subban.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Why say anything is more the point. He got a contract from our GM after watching his performance this year. That was more then fair. He should have said nothing but I am looking forward to an opportunity to prove that I am a capable goalie.

don't see how this is any different then any other fringe player says after being traded. they pretty much all talk about how there looking forward to getting a fresh start and hoping to get more of an opportunity with there new club. why you think a player shouldn't express that is beyond me. are you saying you don't want someone to talk at all? and besides I'm sure Sportsnet asked the question and he gave a generic answer. what more do you want? I doubt he went to sportsnet to give them the quote. they went to sparks and asked him a question...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad