TSN: Sparks - All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
He's a backup goalie, what exactly is his opportunity. It's not like he's in a position to get the starting job.
His job is to prove he is a reliable and steady back up goalie despite if there are back to back games or any other excuse the odd leaf fan will throw out there.. Hes a "professional athlete" or whatever you want to call him. He didnt show up and didnt give his team any real fight so, Sparks, God bless. Peace

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Really poor exit quote from him.

He was given more opportunity than he should have based on potential career performance.

He **** the bed in almost every single start he got this past season. We even went to Hutch because he was so bad
We lost 2 goalies to waivers and had to trade for one for his chance. I think he had it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
His technique is so sloppy I knew he wouldnt amount to much. We got rid of a good backup for him.. gets handed the job without deserving it. Yeah whatever.

Later kid

Reactions: rubous

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
https://twitter.com/kreidersneck/status/1154950521695944704

ICYMI: twitter thread of the best of Garret Sparks from last season

Man those Hawk goals.. He just doesn't fight enough to see. First goal I think he tried to stare through Anisimov's butthole, and then realized it would not work THEN shifted to his left. On the Kane goal and second boston goal he whiffed. After that I couldn't keep watching, I was getting anxious and sick of reliving those moments.

He was (is) just so bad a core fundamental stuff, but I guess that's someone else's fault. :rolleyes:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
how is this true? flower and subban are their guys. Subban played more NHL games than sparks + hutch

probably because the Leafs Management no longer wants him in the organization? there was literally 0% chance he made the team even if he was lights out in Camp. also Subban has a whopping 45 games at this point with a 2.88 GAA and a 903 sv percentage, not exactly great numbers or a goalie who has solidified himself as an NHL goalie. where as Sparks was a 902 sv percentage last year. now obviously Sparks would have to significantly out play Subban to get the job out of camp but it's possible. he had zero chance here regardless of his play.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Sparks is a pretty well spoken guy and generally articulates himself pretty well in interviews. I definitely do think his quote is being mistakenly taken out of context, but also agree that even what he was meaning to say was miss placed and he should have just given a generic hockey response there instead of tears.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This was a beauty lol

Ben Harpur got 4 assists last season in 51 games.
After watching that second clip against Ottawa I wished Hockey DB was like Wiki and I could edit one assist out.
That was laughable bad tending chasing the Harpur shot that led to the empty net goal.

BYE BYE Sparks. there are too many holes for you to be a capable NHL goalie.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Lol handed the job last year despite a ****ty training camp and expected more?

What a clown.
No kidding. Reading what he said made me instantly 10x happier that he's not wearing a Leafs jersey anymore. What a frickin whiner

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
We axed one of the best backups in the league to give Sparks a "fair opportunity." Not the Leafs fault he faceplanted. What were they supposed to do? Anoint him the starter?

Oh and thanks again for completely crapping your pants vs. NYI in Tavares' comeback game. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, jackass.

Go Leafs Go!!
He should have never been given that game. Wasn't impressed with Babs going with that plug over Andersen in a game that means a lot to a star player of ours. He needed to switch up for 1 game. Let Sparks play the Blue Jackets and give Freddie the second half of the back to back and play the Islanders. Babs is way too stuck in his ways sometimes

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
“All I’ve wanted is a fair opportunity, come camp, to try and make the team and I think that I’ll get a better opportunity [in Vegas] than I would have in Toronto."

I dont know why so many are saying he's complaining about not getting an opportunity in the past. he's not saying that. when you read the quote properly he's saying this fall he just wants a fair opportunity to try and make the team, and feels he will get that in Vegas and without a doubt it's probably true.
Why say anything is more the point. He got a contract from our GM after watching his performance this year. That was more then fair. He should have said nothing but I am looking forward to an opportunity to prove that I am a capable goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad