Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Q: Hey, how many Habs fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. They're too busy talking about how great the old lightbulb was.

It's not 2021. It's 2024. Try to keep up. Carey Price isn't around to carry your team, and there's no COVID North division to allow you to get into the playoffs. But congrats on the COVID run a few years back. We're all still impressed.

Sure thing. Google is your friend:

Jeff Marek: Maple Leafs in 7
David Amber: Maple Leafs in 6
Christine Simpson: Maple Leafs in 7
Caroline Cameron: Maple Leafs in 7
Justin Bourne: Maple Leafs in 6
Nick Kypreos: Maple Leafs in 7
Luke Fox: Bruins in 7
Mark Spector: Maple Leafs in 7
Iain MacIntyre: Bruins in 5
Sam Cosentino: Maple Leafs in 6
Jamal Mayers: Maple Leafs in 7
Eric Engels: Maple Leafs in 6
Jason Bukala: Bruins in 7
Ryan Dixon: Maple Leafs in 6
Wayne Scanlan: Bruins in 7
Sonny Sachdeva: Bruins in 7
Rory Boylen: Bruins in 6

Here’s another list I found:
STANLEY CUP WINNER

Jeff Marek: Florida Panthers
David Amber: Dallas Stars
Christine Simpson: Edmonton Oilers
Caroline Cameron: Edmonton Oilers
Justin Bourne: Carolina Hurricanes
Nick Kypreos: Dallas Stars
Luke Fox: Dallas Stars
Mark Spector: Edmonton Oilers
Iain MacIntyre: Edmonton Oilers
Sam Cosentino: Edmonton Oilers
Jamal Mayers: Dallas Stars
Eric Engels: Florida Panthers
Jason Bukala: Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Dixon: Carolina Hurricanes
Wayne Scanlan: Carolina Hurricanes
Sonny Sachdeva: Carolina Hurricanes
Rory Boylen: Dallas Stars

If there’s a bias in favour of any Canadian team I think it’s the Oilers.
Tied with Carolina and Dallas as Cup favourites despite not even winning their division. Not a single panelist picking NYR or Colorado and only one picking Florida. I’d put all those teams above the Oilers.
Heck the Jets should probably have as many votes as them.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm gonna say under at 4. Boston will get called for something extremely weak early in the game, then bail on playing physical
I don’t think so. Against Vancouver in 2011 they kept pushing the envelope as Vancouver’s power play was anemic. As long as the Leafs continue to struggle on the PP Boston will play close to the line to try to distract their skilled players. Toronto needs to make them pay on the PP to get them to back off a bit.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don’t think so. Against Vancouver in 2011 they kept pushing the envelope as Vancouver’s power play was anemic. As long as the Leafs continue to struggle on the PP Boston will play close to the line to try to distract their skilled players. Toronto needs to make them pay on the PP to get them to back off a bit.
I don't recall the Vancouver series being officiated as poorly

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I mean every single fanbase feels the refs pick on them. To be truly objective you’d need to be able to watch games and pick out all the times the Leafs got away with one. Not many fans can do that because we are all fans of our team and fandom by definition means we see things pretty one sided.
Realistically the calls probably break about even although like I said every single fanbase feels they are picked on.
And in the end who cares? You either win or you lose. Injuries, reffing, luck etc are things all beyond a teams control. They need to stay focused on the game.
oh im not going to pretend the leafs didnt get away with some. I just dont understand how these take downs arent penalties. Im not going to blame the loss on the refs in the end they failed to score on 5 PPs.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't recall the Vancouver series being officiated as poorly
I think we view series differently when our team is in it. Marchand face washing Sedin and the Bruins crashing into Luongo. But teams should know by now that the refs let a lot go in the playoffs. Full marks to the Bruins for recognizing that in 2011 and so far in 2024. Intimidation and getting under skilled players skins has always been a big factor in the playoffs.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
And Tavares hight sticked McAvoy in the face. No call, no problem.
Pasta gets high sticked in front of ref in open ice. No call no problem.
Nothing one sided what so ever.
I know Leafs got away with some as well. just 2 years in a row now there was a take down one of them injuring Knies and no call. then again on Matthews I dunno how those dont get called. but not blaming the loss on the refs. Leafs gotta score when they get 5 PPs

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I know Leafs got away with some as well. just 2 years in a row now there was a take down one of them injuring Knies and no call. then again on Matthews I dunno how those dont get called. but not blaming the loss on the refs. Leafs gotta score when they get 5 PPs
they ate missed calls.......are you new.
Every team has to endure them. Leafs fans seem oblivious to this well known fact.
If they would ever watch hockey after the leafs were out early......they would see it even continues in the later rounds and finals. While the leafs are on the the golf course and their fans are watching the Blue Jays.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think we view series differently when our team is in it. Marchand face washing Sedin and the Bruins crashing into Luongo. But teams should know by now that the refs let a lot go in the playoffs. Full marks to the Bruins for recognizing that in 2011 and so far in 2024. Intimidation and getting under skilled players skins has always been a big factor in the playoffs.
2011 was called similarly the entire way through.

I have no idea what is and isn't a penalty right now. These officials are all over the place shift to shift

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Leafs fans are never watching the finals.
"Go Blue Jays"

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yep. 1 for 11 ain't the refs fault.

5 straight play off losses at home not a recipe for success either.
New coach incoming .

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

that 2011 team would destroy this current Bruins team though, and sweep the leafs, and beat any other team currently in the playoffs. We'll never see another team like that in the NHL. Would love to be proven wrong

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Oh sure. My point was that the Leafs got away with just as many.
none that lead to the game tying and game winning goals though. there were moments where no matter what happened nothing was being called for both sides and it ended up being at very key moments. I can live with it though. I just find it frustrating that that same move that hurt Knies last year happened again and for the 2nd time no call.

Yep. 1 for 11 ain't the refs fault.

5 straight play off losses at home not a recipe for success either.
New coach incoming .
I hope so but didnt they just extend Keefe?

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
This team is out of excuses. Seriously.

If they lose, Shanahan will be gone. So will Keefe. Marner or Nylander will be shipped out (even with NMC), and Matthews will be pissed off if it's Marner, which will open another can of worms. JT is off the books next year, and you just know they're keeping an eye on McDavid (not saying they will get him, for the record).

Pelley isn't going to mess around. If they lose, he's going to make a statement about who's now in charge. And that statement will be very loud.

Reactions: MessierII

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Here’s another list I found:
STANLEY CUP WINNER

Jeff Marek: Florida Panthers
David Amber: Dallas Stars
Christine Simpson: Edmonton Oilers
Caroline Cameron: Edmonton Oilers
Justin Bourne: Carolina Hurricanes
Nick Kypreos: Dallas Stars
Luke Fox: Dallas Stars
Mark Spector: Edmonton Oilers
Iain MacIntyre: Edmonton Oilers
Sam Cosentino: Edmonton Oilers
Jamal Mayers: Dallas Stars
Eric Engels: Florida Panthers
Jason Bukala: Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Dixon: Carolina Hurricanes
Wayne Scanlan: Carolina Hurricanes
Sonny Sachdeva: Carolina Hurricanes
Rory Boylen: Dallas Stars

If there’s a bias in favour of any Canadian team I think it’s the Oilers.
Tied with Carolina and Dallas as Cup favourites despite not even winning their division. Not a single panelist picking NYR or Colorado and only one picking Florida. I’d put all those teams above the Oilers.
Heck the Jets should probably have as many votes as them.

Slightly off-topic, but any list of predictions that doesn't include even one pick for the Knights is nuts. How do you watch the last playoffs and think, "Yeah, this team is one and done?"

I don't know if it's bias so much as wishful thinking or something.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
K if we set the line at 4.5 power plays for Toronto next game, do you take over or under. Why?
Over, Toronto has controlled most of the 5 on 5 play and thus is drawing more penalties. Leafs will be desperate, going down 3-1 into Boston is pretty much the end of this series, expecting their absolute best performance of the series tomorrow night. They'll be playing extremely hard and should take an early lead, helping them control the flow of play and forcing Boston to play a more offensive (mistake prone) game.

Reactions: Summer Rose

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Why on earth are we talking about the Panthers after game 3 of this series?

Hey, people have been talking about the Leafs in the FLA/TBL thread, so it's only fair!

I do think Toronto will get favorable officiating tomorrow and needs to capitalize.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This team is out of excuses. Seriously.

If they lose, Shanahan will be gone. So will Keefe. Marner or Nylander will be shipped out (even with NMC), and Matthews will be pissed off if it's Marner, which will open another can of worms. JT is off the books next year, and you just know they're keeping an eye on McDavid (not saying they will get him, for the record).

Pelley isn't going to mess around. If they lose, he's going to make a statement about who's now in charge. And that statement will be very loud.
Shanny will prob be fired sure, Keefe its possible he was just extended I believe. as far as moving any of Marner, Tavares, Matthews or Nylander. that decision comes from them and them alone. if they dont wanna leave they arent leaving.
kinda like the muskoka 5 except this time we want to win

Reactions: Just Rude

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Shanny will prob be fired sure, Keefe its possible he was just extended I believe. as far as moving any of Marner, Tavares, Matthews or Nylander. that decision comes from them and them alone. if they dont wanna leave they arent leaving.
kinda like the muskoka 5 except this time we want to win
It won't be AM34, for sure, and JT only has a year left. May as well play it out, especially with the cap going up.

I just think Pelley is going to want to make a statement. I don't think Shanny survives another first round exit, and Keefe shouldn't either. I think the Leafs will eat those two years.

As for Nylander and an Marner, who they still have to sign, you're right. Those NMC are right they are. I just don't know how you run it back with this team (if Boston wins).

Reactions: Arthur Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad