Confirmed with Link: Source Tells TG Zubrus Re-signs 3 Year/3.1 Million Per

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't have a problem with the signing as we aren't in cap hell like a couple years ago and we don't have a prospect to replace him. I just don't see him body holding up for 3 more years.

I would have preferred 2 years, but it's no big deal. I don't expect him to decline like Salvador or Pandolfo or anything. He was given almost an identical contract pretty much to Salvador.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
So excited to see Zubes back, if this gets finalized, which looks likely! Don't mind the term or money one bit, he brings a lot to this team and can play so many roles.

rfmp.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm ok with this.

Would have liked to have seen more of a pay cut for a guy who is 35 years old. But I can't be upset that Zub's is being paid $.5 mil more then perhaps he should.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And as far as Zub's breaking down, 11-12 was his best statistical year for the Devils in terms of goals, assists, and +/-. While playing all 82 games.

So I think the injury in 2013 should not be looked at as an obvious sign of the guy breaking down.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
And all Rolston had was an ankle injury

Ankle is much, much worse than wrist. Nevertheless the notion that broken bones are a matter of the body breaking down is uninformed. Bones do not start to weaken until after 40, not even the weight-bearing bones. With pro athletes it's most probably later because they have been eating and training well their whole life.

The same impact will break a bone when he is 20 or 35, doesn't matter.

If anything, the back problems of Kovy is something to be concerned about, and it will not get better when he gets older.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Rolston's injury was a high ankle sprain, right? That's an awful injury for a hockey player. He even said it took him like 2 years before it felt like he had his legs again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think some are just tired of having a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30. Thing is, we really can't afford to lose Zubrus or Elias with how destitute our forward core is.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Ankle is much, much worse than wrist. Nevertheless the notion that broken bones are a matter of the body breaking down is uninformed. Bones do not start to weaken until after 40, not even the weight-bearing bones. With pro athletes it's most probably later because they have been eating and training well their whole life.

The same impact will break a bone when he is 20 or 35, doesn't matter.

If anything, the back problems of Kovy is something to be concerned about, and it will not get better when he gets older.

Right, that's why running backs in the NFL have such a long shelf life. :shakehead

Fact of the matter is when this contract is up he will have been in the league for 20 years. I don't care how well you keep your body in shape, it's gonna take a toll on you.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think some are just tired of having a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30. Thing is, we really can't afford to lose Zubrus or Elias with how destitute our forward core is.

If there were ever some 35+ players that should stick around, it's Zubrus and Elias. Zubrus is just as strong as ever, excellent on D, and a great character guy, and Elias is still a legitimate top line forward and a consistent threat for 60-70 with great D and absolutely elite possession numbers. Age is just a number if you can still play.

But seriously. Elias is a wizard alien. He's STILL making his linemates better at 37.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Right, that's why running backs in the NFL have such a long shelf life. :shakehead

Fact of the matter is when this contract is up he will have been in the league for 20 years. I don't care how well you keep your body in shape, it's gonna take a toll on you.

With that I agree 100%. I just don't think the broken wrist has anything to do with age.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wouldn't expect anything more than that from Kovy either if you want the truth. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss time, but with how he's played into the ground, I can see him missing time.

And the last injury didn't even have anything to do with that.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just about to go to bed with this great news.

Hopefully visions of sugar plum faries and Zubrusaureses will dance in my head.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If there were ever some 35+ players that should stick around, it's Zubrus and Elias. Zubrus is just as strong as ever, excellent on D, and a great character guy, and Elias is still a legitimate top line forward and a consistent threat for 60-70 with great D and absolutely elite possession numbers. Age is just a number if you can still play.

But seriously. Elias is a wizard alien. He's STILL making his linemates better at 37.

I firmly believe Elias is one of those ageless wizards like Selanne or Jagr. He is capable of producing whether it be goals or assists at high levels despite age.

The team is now really young at center, we do need some youth at wing. Boucher maybe, and whomever we draft this year will help down the line with that. Though we do need at some point to possibly address forward need via free agency or trade. Glut of defense and no forwards...something has to give at some point.

Obviously we are oldest at goal, but only one more year of that. I am still betting that Marty plays one more year after this contract and splits time with Kinky/Wedge unless the team is trash then he won't waste his time.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I like this signing.

Zubrus is pretty much the only forward the Devils have that actually has size. This team is pretty small so keeping Zubrus will help since he's strong on the puck and uses his size well along the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad