Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leo and Martin have each played only 7 out of 13 games so far for NYI

Komarov has been injured and Matt Martin is splitting time with Ross Johnston who is damn near equivalent in the toughness department.

All while Cizikas and CLutterbuck are already mainstays in the team. So, yeah the point still holds

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Players are too scared to get face washed or something.

Babcock and the coaching staff instilled the "Power Play as our enforcer" rule...and everyone now is just automatically assuming the refs are gonna handle it.

Bunch of pansies

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Players are too scared to get face washed or something.

Babcock and the coaching staff instilled the "Power Play as our enforcer" rule...and everyone now is just automatically assuming the refs are gonna handle it.

Bunch of pansies

That's exactly it, man. Babcock coaches a very soft style. His teams have been soft for the most part. It only works when you have a "Lidstrom". Just my opinion.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The softest thing about the Leafs is the bi polar fanbase. Lets wait will we have a full lineup and they have time to jell before crowding the bridges and cliffs

Team becoming healthy and having a full lineup isnt gonna take away from the fact that toughness/grit/edge is still gonna be an issue with this team.

It's not like we have Wayne Simmonds, Reaves and Engelland all coming of the IR next week

Reactions: coupe93

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Team becoming healthy and having a full lineup isnt gonna take away from the fact that toughness/grit/edge is still gonna be an issue with this team.

It's not like we have Wayne Simmonds, Reaves and Engelland all coming of the IR next week

I really think it's Babcock that has infused this team with this attitude. He really thinks that a potential PP for us is more important than giving a facewash to someone after they mess up one of our stars. I remember when we played Detroit in 1993 and Clark wasn't fighting Probie...it turns out that Burns told him that he was not to fight him no matter what.

Is it possible that Babs has done the same thing to our guys? I'm not saying they would be beating the crap out of everyone if Babs was gone...but he did have the least amount of fighting majors during his 10yr Detroit run. He had something like 120min compared to Anaheim having 500+ ...that's not a small difference to have.

Babs doesn't like body checking because it takes our players out of the play...they can't be around to "pressure" the puck carrier if they hit according to him....so take that for what it is. The only guy on the team that seems like he even could fight is the Goat...that's about it.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
These dudes are mandated to play so soft. It must be the case. Has to be.
I'm sure of it! What kind of hockey player would play this way...the whole team does it! It has to come from the top.

I believe that Dubas thinks this is how the league is trending...it's what they want to sell...skill/fancy shmancy hockey. He is probably correct.They want to distance themselves from the 'old-time' hockey attitude that said 'if you can't beat 'em in the alley...you can't beat 'em on the ice".There are reasons for this.

The physical stuff causes problems the league ultimately doesn't want to deal with. Legal stuff...like concussion issues/liability,etc. They don't want to be seen as being able to do something about it ,yet use the excuse that 'this is what the fans pay to see'... but the optics are bad when trying to justify head injuries and the like, even if the players willingly signed on to accept fighting ,some lawyer can make misery for the league in being negligent should that player get seriously hurt.

Right now,in this era of hockey ,we are witnessing a different type of game.Newer fans won't necessarily notice ...Older fans will possibly turn away altogether(i have considered it). I think teams are trying to find that skill/toughness balance...not an easy task!

The Leafs no doubt, have a 'walk away' policy on the ice. Trying to be smart ,not get a penalty,or the extra penalty....Who remembers when a player retaliating to a dirty shot got the only penalty. Or when ,coming to a team-mates rescue was rewarded with an extra penalty or misconduct. I believe Babs wants the focus to be on the puck. Hitting is fine if you get the puck possession out of it.But,go out of your way to make a hit and you might be sitting for a while.

The problem the Leafs have is painfully obvious...and will likely get more painful,for the players and the fans.They look like they don't care about each other. Not a good look to have. Not sure how ..to a man..they can feel good about themselves! Maybe if they were 15-0 and led the league in PP opportunities as aresult of this 'smarter play' then I could be on board(even though I prefer the rough stuff)., But their style isn't working out that well...is it? Maybe they will make moves to find a better balance. We will see!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure of it! What kind of hockey player would play this way...the whole team does it! It has to come from the top.

I believe that Dubas thinks this is how the league is trending...it's what they want to sell...skill/fancy shmancy hockey. He is probably correct.They want to distance themselves from the 'old-time' hockey attitude that said 'if you can't beat 'em in the alley...you can't beat 'em on the ice".There are reasons for this.

The physical stuff causes problems the league ultimately doesn't want to deal with. Legal stuff...like concussion issues/liability,etc. They don't want to be seen as being able to do something about it ,yet use the excuse that 'this is what the fans pay to see'... but the optics are bad when trying to justify head injuries and the like, even if the players willingly signed on to accept fighting ,some lawyer can make misery for the league in being negligent should that player get seriously hurt.

Right now,in this era of hockey ,we are witnessing a different type of game.Newer fans won't necessarily notice ...Older fans will possibly turn away altogether(i have considered it). I think teams are trying to find that skill/toughness balance...not an easy task!

The Leafs no doubt, have a 'walk away' policy on the ice. Trying to be smart ,not get a penalty,or the extra penalty....Who remembers when a player retaliating to a dirty shot got the only penalty. Or when ,coming to a team-mates rescue was rewarded with an extra penalty or misconduct. I believe Babs wants the focus to be on the puck. Hitting is fine if you get the puck possession out of it.But,go out of your way to make a hit and you might be sitting for a while.

The problem the Leafs have is painfully obvious...and will likely get more painful,for the players and the fans.They look like they don't care about each other. Not a good look to have. Not sure how ..to a man..they can feel good about themselves! Maybe if they were 15-0 and led the league in PP opportunities as aresult of this 'smarter play' then I could be on board(even though I prefer the rough stuff)., But their style isn't working out that well...is it? Maybe they will make moves to find a better balance. We will see!

Great post but... Why the heck did it have to be the Leafs of all teams? They had to of known, Bell Rogers have no say? The had to know this kind of hockey could be a destructive. People don't like this, it's not our game.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I really think it's Babcock that has infused this team with this attitude. He really thinks that a potential PP for us is more important than giving a facewash to someone after they mess up one of our stars. I remember when we played Detroit in 1993 and Clark wasn't fighting Probie...it turns out that Burns told him that he was not to fight him no matter what.

Is it possible that Babs has done the same thing to our guys? I'm not saying they would be beating the crap out of everyone if Babs was gone...but he did have the least amount of fighting majors during his 10yr Detroit run. He had something like 120min compared to Anaheim having 500+ ...that's not a small difference to have.

Babs doesn't like body checking because it takes our players out of the play...they can't be around to "pressure" the puck carrier if they hit according to him....so take that for what it is. The only guy on the team that seems like he even could fight is the Goat...that's about it.
well if thats so......nobody is worried about getting leafs in the first round

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Great post but... Why the heck did it have to be the Leafs of all teams? They had to of known, Bell Rogers have no say? The had to know this kind of hockey could be a destructive. People don't like this, it's not our game.
I heard that! Not sure...new era,new age GM who likes to use analytics, A coach that appears to be unsure in how to proceed with all this talent. The enormous fan base likely has enough die-hards to keep media feeding them.
The lads peaked my interest ,with how talented they are,but I'm not sure this style is enough to keep me watching on the regular. Win or lose the lack of 'manning up' to opponents physical challenges is embarrassing. Smart or no...it smells of cowardice! I don't want to see that.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I heard that! Not sure...new era,new age GM who likes to use analytics, A coach that appears to be unsure in how to proceed with all this talent. The enormous fan base likely has enough die-hards to keep media feeding them.
The lads peaked my interest ,with how talented they are,but I'm not sure this style is enough to keep me watching on the regular. Win or lose the lack of 'manning up' to opponents physical challenges is embarrassing. Smart or no...it smells of cowardice! I don't want to see that.
Couldn’t have said it better

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
These lads that piqued your interest with their talent usually only display it during the 3on 3 OT. Regular 5v5 play is hot garbage most of the time.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Wayne Simmonds... oh how well he worked out after being dealt

We actually have 2 pretty damn tough and hardnosed guys coming back soon. Better then having a couple of shit kickers who are offensive black holes.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Couldn’t have said it better
Thanks! I'm sure it isn't just me that has mixed feelings about it

I should learn to take a hint maybe because I'm likely not the target audience anymore,considering my age . Yet ,I keep checking in with the hope that the Leafs will win while I'm an adult (I watched the 67 victory) but it might be a while yet before they do.

Reactions: Cobra777

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
These lads that piqued your interest with their talent usually only display it during the 3on 3 OT. Regular 5v5 play is hot garbage most of the time.
I wouldn't be that harsh on them. They are young and I think will progress into being better overall players. Most players have their best years somewhere between 25 -30 (generally speaking,I'm sure there are exceptions to that). In their late twenties they are physically/mentally more mature and at least half the players are younger /less experienced than them. I figure,they can be competitive for a good 4 or 5 years with the core they have. Not sure if I will still be watching though.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Wayne Simmonds... oh how well he worked out after being dealt

We actually have 2 pretty damn tough and hardnosed guys coming back soon. Better then having a couple of **** kickers who are offensive black holes.
It will be a boost of sorts to have them back (I hope) but neither player is the least bit intimidating. In fact ,it was Tavares that got crushed and man-handled by Weber earlier in the year that made me wonder what the hell kinda team this was. Absolutely Zero response to that hit...to the Captain of the Leafs...I don't believe I've ever seen that happen before!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Management by fear can make some players afraid to try. A young team need a big leash to make the offensive blossom. And a lot of trust to work through things they need to develop. Is that the case right now , maby, probably not.

You dont have to be tough to be able to act when a team member gets runned over. So that just screams that something is realy wrong inside the team. Its not grit, its the feeling inside about the group or how its managed. If thats optimal even the whimpiest player would act in some way. The feeling should be, dont mess with my family. If your reach that, you will be a very hard(at least realy annoying) team to play against , even if its a team full of whimps.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Management by fear can make some players afraid to try. A young team need a big leash to make the offensive blossom. And a lot of trust to work through things they need to develop. Is that the case right now , maby, probably not.

You dont have to be tough to be able to act when a team member gets runned over. So that just screams that something is realy wrong inside the team. Its not grit, its the feeling inside about the group or how its managed. If thats optimal even the whimpiest player would act in some way. The feeling should be, dont mess with my family. If your reach that, you will be a very hard(at least realy annoying) team to play against , even if its a team full of whimps.

The habs have lots of that "character" and are the smallest team in the league. They decent.

Reactions: Cobra777 and ZEBROA

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Dumbfounded why dubas hasn't acquired some character, gritty, heart and soul types. You can get a character 4th or 3rd liner on sale. Its so obviously missing on this team I don't even blame the team anymore, I blame Dubas and how he can't see
Because those guys usually aren't good hockey players and wouldn't play against other teams best players anyways?

I'm all for adding toughness but that player needs to play in one of the top 2 LW spots or the top 2 D pairs if they're going to have the kind of impact most people here are looking for. Unfortunately those guys usually aren't available so you have to draft and develop them.

Adding one guy to a 4th line that plays 10 minutes a night and is worse than a Moore/Timashov/Shore accomplishes nothing..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Because those guys usually aren't good hockey players and wouldn't play against other teams best players anyways?

I'm all for adding toughness but that player needs to play in one of the top 2 LW spots or the top 2 D pairs if they're going to have the kind of impact most people here are looking for. Unfortunately those guys usually aren't available so you have to draft and develop them.

Adding one guy to a 4th line that plays 10 minutes a night and is worse than a Moore/Timashov/Shore accomplishes nothing..
Yeah you can’t have one guy in the top 6 who has some intensity. You need a star or 2 that have it as well.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Both Dubas and Babcock.

Babcock made Matt Martin and Komarov seem useless....when the Islanders are on a freaking 10 game winning streak with the same two players playing every day....oh and wait for it...lets add in Ross Johnston as well for good measure.

**** my life
Komarov hasn't played in two weeks. Martin out for 5 weeks. But Johnston plays about half of the time.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad