Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Komarov hasn't played in two weeks. Martin out for 5 weeks. But Johnston plays about half of the time.
It's not just these guys. The entire team plays with a dog on bone drive that we seriously lack.
If you watched the Tampa/NY game there was just no time/space given. They used skill and finished checks when checks were available. Not just running around hitting anything. But most importantly, you had about a half second on a lose puck.
We are just WAY too passive. And we need a coach who promotes an aggressive in your face style. That should be our identity. Skill isn't an identity. You always want skill. It's how you choose to use that skill that defines your identity.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not just these guys. The entire team plays with a dog on bone drive that we seriously lack.
If you watched the Tampa/NY game there was just no time/space given. They used skill and finished checks when checks were available. Not just running around hitting anything. But most importantly, you had about a half second on a lose puck.
We are just WAY too passive. And we need a coach who promotes an aggressive in your face style. That should be our identity. Skill isn't an identity. You always want skill. It's how you choose to use that skill that defines your identity.

Sports science Dept. If we don't play a physical game there is 100% certainty that there will ne less injuries and healthier players for the PO. No mention of being ready for a harder game or mental conditioning etc will be mentioned.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's a weird problem. We should be able to deploy a quick game that smothers teams; I expected all lines to hound pucks.

Instead we are waiting for opportunities to arise

It isnt like I hate our players either... we just need to attack in waves and break teams... dont even need to hit to hurt; just fill gaps and make the ice seem small.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's a weird problem. We should be able to deploy a quick game that smothers teams; I expected all lines to hound pucks.

Instead we are waiting for opportunities to arise

It isnt like I hate our players either... we just need to attack in waves and break teams... dont even need to hit to hurt; just fill gaps and make the ice seem small.

At the very least you would expect this. What you get is the worst hockey product on ice ever assembled.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
There's no need to apologize, being the softest team is nothing to be ashamed about, they're playing within the rules of the game and many should be up for the Lady Byng award.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's on the GM and coaching staff now.

We dont need to rely on the draft, signing a big fish or finding a hidden gem

We have the core and it's on management to find the right complimentary pieces to make it work.

Teams know our problems... and it shouldn't be them exploiting us, we should be able to change "in game" depending on the temperature of the game. I'm not sure Babcock has it in him to adapt on the fly.

A team like Toronto should have been stockpiling the salty, hardnosed players in the draft once we defined our skilled core.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We have the core and it's on management to find the right complimentary pieces to make it work.

Teams know our problems... and it shouldn't be them exploiting us, we should be able to change "in game" depending on the temperature of the game. I'm not sure Babcock has it in him to adapt on the fly.

A team like Toronto should have been stockpiling the salty, hardnosed players in the draft once we defined our skilled core.
Before we find the right complimentary pieces, I need to see that the core can play with the identity,passion,intensity I would be looking for. Because if the guys making half the cap can't, it doesn't matter. Is that coach or players? I need to see that first.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wouldn't be that harsh on them. They are young and I think will progress into being better overall players. Most players have their best years somewhere between 25 -30 (generally speaking,I'm sure there are exceptions to that). In their late twenties they are physically/mentally more mature and at least half the players are younger /less experienced than them. I figure,they can be competitive for a good 4 or 5 years with the core they have. Not sure if I will still be watching though.

I agree, they’re not in their window just yet and maybe shedding some light on the areas of weakness will help management be a little more proactive.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Before we find the right complimentary pieces, I need to see that the core can play with the identity,passion,intensity I would be looking for. Because if the guys making half the cap can't, it doesn't matter. Is that coach or players? I need to see that first.
You aren't wrong.
But the right guys can make skilled players stand a bit taller.

Ritchie/Anderson/Wilson type on Matthews wing

And

Clifford / Reaves type on the 4th line.

Would make teams weary about taking liberties.

Not sure Dubas has it in him.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah you can’t have one guy in the top 6 who has some intensity. You need a star or 2 that have it as well.
This. Remember Josh Donaldson. Like him or not He was the best player on the Jays and certainly one of the grittiest.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This. Remember Josh Donaldson. Like him or not He was the best player on the Jays and certainly one of the grittiest.
Guys like Domi/Gallagher pound for pound aren't any bigger/heavier than what we present.
But they are in the action. I don't expect us to win every battle but we aren't even in the battle.
Someone needs to change for skill that is involved on a regular basis.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I agree, they should be filling in the organization with the occasional Tom Wilson projection, but that's where the frustration comes in when they seem to be drafting for an even smaller next generation.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Guys like Domi/Gallagher pound for pound aren't any bigger/heavier than what we present.
But they are in the action. I don't expect us to win every battle but we aren't even in the battle.
THIS. Nylander who looks to be big and made of granite has the softest game of any Leaf player, zero excuse for this imo.

IF he started throwing his weight around he'd instantly realize he has more time and space to play the game, ergo better opportunities to excel in the NHL.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree, they should be filling in the organization with the occasional Tom Wilson projection, but that's where the frustration comes in when they seem to be drafting for an even smaller next generation.
this concept isn't in Dubas' wheelhouse. The shrimp wants shrimps, soft ones at that.

Reactions: Cobra777

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Things have changed since I was a kid. Really as a victim of bullying with prompting from parents, teachers, etc, the lesson was you had to become like a Honey Badger.
If someone wants to throw insults or fight, they might win because they're bigger and better, but can guarantee it will be fierce. If you had a problem with someone,
you were to fight it out on the other side of the school where the teacher wasn't. Now it feels like Dubas has built a team where if you have a problem you go to
a 'safe zone' or something. I wonder if the kid has ever thrown a punch.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Things have changed since I was a kid. Really as a victim of bullying with prompting from parents, teachers, etc, the lesson was you had to become like a Honey Badger.
If someone wants to throw insults or fight, they might win because they're bigger and better, but can guarantee it will be fierce. If you had a problem with someone,
you were to fight it out on the other side of the school where the teacher wasn't. Now it feels like Dubas has built a team where if you have a problem you go to
a 'safe zone' or something. I wonder if the kid has ever thrown a punch.
hard to be a sheep in the land of wolves. If your being bullied fight back, it won't take long before said bullies move on to a easier target.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

And we are told the Leafs don’t need these type of “face punchers” because they have “speed and skill”. Figure skaters have speed and skill.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Both Dubas and Babcock.

Babcock made Matt Martin and Komarov seem useless....when the Islanders are on a freaking 10 game winning streak with the same two players playing every day....oh and wait for it...lets add in Ross Johnston as well for good measure.

**** my life
Are you really praising Matt Martin and his 9 minutes of hockey? The guy is hardly who you want on your team moving forward, especially when he was a -4 in the playoffs last season with 0 points. But hey, I'm sure he'll fight to keep teams "honest", even though that brand of hockey is hardly relevant in the playoffs anymore. As for Komarov? He had his 2 best statistical seasons under Babcock and he had significantly more ice time in Toronto than he does in New York. That's hardly making him useless, unless you think he's a 60 point player that Babcock strangled offensively, then I don't know what you expected . You're overstating their importance to both teams significantly. If they both left today, nothing would change in New York. Fans in Toronto romanticize players like that far too much

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
We need to trade Marner for Gritty then run him 30 minutes a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad