Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Also guys be careful what you wish for. If we get the gritty, tough, decently skilled player people in here are hoping for Babcock will use him 1st PP and dying seconds of games we’re trailing and you’ll eventually turn on him.

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I agree, they should be filling in the organization with the occasional Tom Wilson projection, but that's where the frustration comes in when they seem to be drafting for an even smaller next generation.

Dubas talks about filling a roster with speed and skill, well, where is it? Kappy, Moore, and Hyman will out skate a defender to avoid icing or jump on loose pucks but their hands are made of feet. Most of those battles are straight line races but then they find themselves all alone with no support.

Just once I’d like to see this speed and skill dictate the pace of the game against a legit team. Saturday was a perfect opportunity against a relatively soft team and they were out skated and out played in all but the first 8 minutes.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dubas talks about filling a roster with speed and skill, well, where is it? Kappy, Moore, and Hyman will out skate a defender to avoid icing or jump on loose pucks but their hands are made of feet. Most of those battles are straight line races but then they find themselves all alone with no support.

Just once I’d like to see this speed and skill dictate the pace of the game against a legit team. Saturday was a perfect opportunity against a relatively soft team and they were out skated and out played in all but the first 8 minutes.

Being against the cap means when 3 players are out of your lineup you are replacing them with minimum contract players.

Hard to have speed and skill in reserve at minimum $$$.
When the team gets Muzzin, Tavares and Hyman back 3 average Joe's are out of the lineup and you have a very speedy skilled team.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
...and fly bys
When I get frustrated, the "almost there" defensive coverage, just about but you know it won't be enough effort.

TSN was talking about Saturday this morning, Carlo made a good point about the "double standard" argument, Willie gets picked on. Carlo said when I player has a well earned rep, it's because he earned it, it didn't just happen. Another player can make the same error, but because it has happened less frequently there is a latitude not afforded the guy with the rep.

Willie has a deserved reputation as an uneven performer who has defensive lapses. He can change that narrative and I remain positive he could, but to say he's been singled out operates in a vacuum.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Almost every time sometings wrong with the team it all boils down to "trade Nylander". And when fans will see that thats not the solution, were back to blaming Hyman/Andersen.

Babcock cant handle Nylander thats for sure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Also guys be careful what you wish for. If we get the gritty, tough, decently skilled player people in here are hoping for Babcock will use him 1st PP and dying seconds of games we’re trailing and you’ll eventually turn on him.
He should.

An examples of this happening?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When I get frustrated, the "almost there" defensive coverage, just about but you know it won't be enough effort.

TSN was talking about Saturday this morning, Carlo made a good point about the "double standard" argument, Willie gets picked on. Carlo said when I player has a well earned rep, it's because he earned it, it didn't just happen. Another player can make the same error, but because it has happened less frequently there is a latitude not afforded the guy with the rep.

Willie has a deserved reputation as an uneven performer who has defensive lapses. He can change that narrative and I remain positive he could, but to say he's been singled out operates in a vacuum.
even the staunchest "Nylanderite" cannot dispute this.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Almost every time sometings wrong with the team it all boils down to "trade Nylander". And when fans will see that thats not the solution, were back to blaming Hyman/Andersen.

Babcock cant handle Nylander thats for sure.
in my opinion Nylander can't handle Babcock.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
They will, wait for it.
Some obscure tweet from an unknown expert will prove how unfair he's treated.
Some random guy on twitter with 1500 followers we've never heard of....Not sure how that's relevant, because basic effort can find a similar counter carving him relentlessly. It's just noise.

Reactions: ACC1224

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
So there is no other player that should be benched if we compare effort this season ? Then we should trade him. Yesterday.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Being against the cap means when 3 players are out of your lineup you are replacing them with minimum contract players.

Hard to have speed and skill in reserve at minimum $$$.
When the team gets Muzzin, Tavares and Hyman back 3 average Joe's are out of the lineup and you have a very speedy skilled team.

Are they going actually demonstrate this speed? Most nights they are a step behind. Either other players use Michael Myers angles or they are just plain quicker

Reactions: Cobra777

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
in my opinion Nylander can't handle Babcock.
Like Zetterberg and a lot of other players that could not stand Babcocks methods. If benching dont work do something else then Babcock. Oh i try the same thing that might work..

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
yeah and Barrie certainly has no reason to dog it with free agency coming. it's been a disappointment for sure. things were set up on a tee for him here with the forwards we've got, at least on paper.

Barrie is too good of a player to struggle like this for tooo extended of a period of time. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise in the long run if it can be used bring his ask down a bit at the end of the year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Some random guy on twitter with 1500 followers we've never heard of....Not sure how that's relevant, because basic effort can find a similar counter carving him relentlessly. It's just noise.
I don't understand the point of the posting of obscure opinions by even more obscure opinionators either. I get when he posts the Athletic shills pushing Dubas' agenda even though I disagree with their take and their legitimacy is highly questionable.

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Like Zetterberg and a lot of other players that could not stand Babcocks methods. If benching dont work do something else then Babcock. Oh i try the same thing that might work..
it isn't a popularity contest, and I know what would solve the problem.........trading the plug.......oh wait, he has Dubas' no trade promise in his hip pocket.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Dubas has built the Leafs in his own image.

The team on the ice to me matches the GM personality and persona and nature as being similar. Which is likely not uncommon because a person would likely gravitate this way.

If he were a hockey player I'd envision him that he would stylistically be very similar to many of the players on the team. He doesn't seem to see any value in playing a big heavy game with hitting because he can't relate, and those types of players don't carry high analytics value components, and he removes checkers and grinders to replace them with more skaters.

Even when experienced NHL employed professionals express their opinions that Leafs aren't built for playoff success due to "softness quota" it doesn't seem to impact Dubas decisions..

Perfect example was last TD where a big powerforward was on the wish list and Dubas returns Nic Petan and believes that adds playoff depth and need to help the team advance further. Then when the Bruins intimidate and punish Leafs skilled players and advance annually, it seems like nothing changes.

What surprises me most about this team composition is that Shanny was a hard nosed gritty powerforward and this team has nothing even remotely close to his personality and past playing style. So he must understand this debate and criticism of the Leafs team and its shortcomings.

Reactions: DarkKnight

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think Dubas has built the Leafs in his own image.

The team on the ice to me matches the GM personality and persona and nature as being similar. Which is likely not uncommon because a person would likely gravitate this way.

If he were a hockey player I'd envision him that he would stylistically be very similar to many of the players on the team. He doesn't seem to see any value in playing a big heavy game with hitting because he can't relate, and those types of players don't carry high analytics value components, and he removes checkers and grinders to replace them with more skaters.

Even when experienced NHL employed professionals express their opinions that Leafs aren't built for playoff success due to "softness quota" it doesn't seem to impact Dubas decisions..

Perfect example was last TD where a big powerforward was on the wish list and Dubas returns Nic Petan and believes that adds playoff depth and need to help the team advance further. Then when the Bruins intimidate and punish Leafs skilled players and advance annually, it seems like nothing changes.

What surprises me most about this team composition is that Shanny was a hard nosed gritty powerforward and this team has nothing even remotely close to his personality and past playing style.

upload_2019-11-4_10-3-56.jpeg

juuuusssst kidding............

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Babs has coached soft his entire time in NHL and it is main reason he has lost like i think 8 consecutive 1st round matchups?????

But skilled teams do make the playoffs a lot because skill wins you more regular season games then not. The only reason he won Cup in Detroit was Lidstrom. You can say whatever you want I don't care. Orr, Harvey, Potvin and Lidstrom those 4 guys could carry any team by themselves.

Without a Lidstrom, Babs will not coach a Cup winning team.

Babs had a guy who could log 30 minutes a night and carry or pass puck out of his end every time at his own WILL.

Babs sucks on defense and he needs this element to be successful.

You can add toughness for him but it will not matter. He needs to go. He will never change his stripes.

I thought Barrie would help but truth is his game has gone into the toilet. I don't see him carrying puck up ice anymore. He has clearly lost a step or Babs is deploying him wrong. I'm not sure which.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Barrie is too good of a player to struggle like this for tooo extended of a period of time. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise in the long run if it can be used bring his ask down a bit at the end of the year.
I’ve never understood this mentality of encouraging and or condoning players to continue to do poorly so that Management has an upper hand in negotiations .
You always want every single player , coach and anyone involved with your organization to do and be their best at everything and every turn no matter what the cost , you then deal with the positive results that it brings when the time comes .
I hear that a lot and it’s absolutely mind boggling to say the least .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad