Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When was the last time a player went from butter soft to gritty, heart&Soul player?
can't think of one off the top of my head, certainly not one that wasn't a rookie who figured it out within a year of being in the league.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So you think Dubas wants to change the way hockey is played?
this is exactly what I think he's trying to do.......prove a team can win without physicality as a part of the team's identity. He's wrong of course and this s**t show's going to get worse before it gets better..........

Reactions: coupe93

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
When was the last time a player went from butter soft to gritty, heart&Soul player?
Not many, which is why I believe we need to acquire someone who does that. I also believe grittiness is contagious. When Kadri would make a big hit, someone else would follow and gets the team hype. We don't have that type of player anymore. I think Dubas priority list should be getting someone that does all of the things a power-forward does. When that happens, I think this team will play with some toughness to a degree.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Everybody thinks they can innovate. No dynasty ever lacked grit

I have a sneaky suspicion the number crunching GM is going to get crunched by cap, being too soft and then needing to get grit and be desperate which will mean GMs will clean his clock. Not good.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I have a sneaky suspicion the number crunching GM is going to get crunched by cap, being too soft and then needing to get grit and be desperate which will mean GMs will clean his clock. Not good.
Groundhog day in leaf land. Remember wayne primeau? I do. Good grit is hard to find

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
this is exactly what I think he's trying to do.......prove a team can win without physicality as a part of the team's identity. He's wrong of course and this s**t show's going to get worse before it gets better..........

Where did he say he's trying to win without physicality? Dubas teams have always been a strong mix of physicality and skill (emphasis on skill). I just think fans are overreacting because of our injuries. We've been missing 2 of our top-3 hitters from last year due to injuries.

Hyman lead all our forwards with hits, and Dermott was 2nd behind Zaitsev in hits. This year we have Moore and Timashov who lead the team in hits (more hits/60 than Hyman last year), but we need Hyman, Dermott, Tavares and also Muzzin in.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Remember they use to have Polak Komarov, Martin. They everyone wanted them gone do now they got no grit.

Yup... truth is we should've kept Martin and probably Komarov and shipped off Marleau, JVR and Bozak in that order.

Martin was a tough sob, gud pro that also was close friends with Marner and Matthew's. He was a great mentor for toughness.

Problem is a we wanted to win too fast.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Yup... truth is we should've kept Martin and probably Komarov and shipped off Marleau, JVR and Bozak in that order.

Martin was a tough sob, gud pro that also was close friends with Marner and Matthew's. He was a great mentor for toughness.

Problem is a we wanted to win too fast.
I agree with keeping Martin but getting rid of the rest

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

great mentor for toughness:laugh:

Martin getting his face punched in must have terrified the other team.

oh wait, it didn't.

Reactions: Gallagbi

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Both Dubas and Babcock.

Babcock made Matt Martin and Komarov seem useless....when the Islanders are on a freaking 10 game winning streak with the same two players playing every day....oh and wait for it...lets add in Ross Johnston as well for good measure.

**** my life

Leo and Martin have each played only 7 out of 13 games so far for NYI

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We traded one of the few players with grit for an offensive dman who doesn't seem to be able to play defense or score goals.

I don't think you can pin Barrie's early season struggles on Dubas at all. On paper, Barrie seemed like an absolutely perfect fit offensively in this group. It's on the player and to a point the coaching for how that looks now

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
What they lack in toughness they make up for in slowness.

Outside of a couple of guys they’re not real quick. Sometimes they are timid but they struggle to win puck battles because they can’t get to loose pucks as fast the opposition. Which cause the chaos in their own end and the lack of cycle in the offensive end.

Results - they take a lot of penalties and don’t draw a lot of penalties.

I disagree. I don't think they're slow, I think they're lazy.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Boston got Backes, Ritchie, Kuraly, Wagner, Nordstrom and Debrusk in their forward group.

Oh and Chara, Mcavoy, Carlo and Clifton in their defense. Heck even Krug got balls.

That team is locked and loaded for another deep playoff run

But... Face punchers. And something about mouth breathers. That's all toughness and grit is, right?

Right?

Reactions: AllHeartNoSkill

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think you can pin Barrie's early season struggles on Dubas at all. On paper, Barrie seemed like an absolutely perfect fit offensively in this group. It's on the player and to a point the coaching for how that looks now

yeah and Barrie certainly has no reason to dog it with free agency coming. it's been a disappointment for sure. things were set up on a tee for him here with the forwards we've got, at least on paper.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Both Dubas and Babcock.

Babcock made Matt Martin and Komarov seem useless....when the Islanders are on a freaking 10 game winning streak with the same two players playing every day....oh and wait for it...lets add in Ross Johnston as well for good measure.

**** my life

Shanahan also made Lou and Hunter useless.

Lou made the Islanders a success.... without Tavares.

Reactions: Crysis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad