Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Bruins have a great blend of talent and toughness. Their good players play with an edge. They dont have the same issue as the Leafs, who essentially have top end talent that all play the same way, which is completely devoid of physical contact.
I don't know how anyone could watch these two teams and not arrive at this conclusion.

Perhaps Jeffler can tweet something so we can get the definitive answer?

Reactions: GoonieFace

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The Bruins have a great blend of talent and toughness. Their good players play with an edge. They dont have the same issue as the Leafs, who essentially have top end talent that all play the same way, which is completely devoid of physical contact.

Again, can't disagree. Their entire top-6 is all small-ish players who are all under 200 pounds who just happen to put a hell of a lot more effort in on a regular basis than our stars right now.

Motivation is our biggest issue right now. You'd be shocked at how much larger in size our top-6 is than Boston's.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Again, can't disagree. Their entire top-6 is all small-ish players who are all under 200 pounds who just happen to put a hell of a lot more effort in on a regular basis than our stars right now.

Motivation is our biggest issue right now. You'd be shocked at how much larger in size our top-6 is than Boston's.

And this is the frustrating part. I know the Leafs do not lack in "size", but size is nothing if you dont know how to use it. Most of their big heavy players are allergic to contact and hard work.

And to be honest I dont know if that will ever change. Some guys have it and some dont.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
People will just want to believe what they want to believe.

I still can't get over how the "toughness and grit" narrative was almost non-existent during the series and here we are 7 months later and it's resurfaced as the alleged main problem.

The series was absolutely lost on special teams and bad goaltending in game 7. Somehow the nitwits overlook those 2 crucial things and conclude toughness was the main thing missing.

Non existent??

That’s some selective remembering... oh wait. it’s you.

Here’s just an example of comments from before the post season last year (March 31, 2019)

Perspective II: do you like these guys?

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I've watched Marner when he was in junior hockey and he was a lot more pesky & physical. Now he has adopted the entitled 'skilled players don't hit' attitude in the NHL. He's under the assumption that if he doesn't stir the hornets nest they will leave him alone. Nothing could be further from the truth, especially for playoff hockey.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This has exactly what to do with me?

I've been pretty vocal about this team's garbage, unmotivated, lazy play since the January of last year.

Try again son.

You claim folks retroactively blamed lack of grit on the exit when in fact it was a fairly common concern.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And this is the frustrating part. I know the Leafs do not lack in "size", but size is nothing if you dont know how to use it. Most of their big heavy players are allergic to contact and hard work.

And to be honest I dont know if that will ever change. Some guys have it and some dont.

At what point are you possibly going to entertain the fact that this laziness and lack of motivation could be coaching related?

You should have seen Matthews pre-NHL(and his rookie year). He was absolutely not this lazy player who was allergic to contact back then. This Matthews we see nowadays is a fairly recent phenomena.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The softness of this team is only a concern to me because it leads to other teams being embolden to go out of their way to destroy Matthews. It's the reason he's been hurt so much. He's going to get Lindrosed if his team doesn't protect him. I don't care if it means taking a penalty or getting a suspension! if Matthews gets hit a Leaf on the ice needs forcibly react and hurt the perpetrator with a fight a cross check, elbow... there needs to be a deterrent. Touch Matthews (or any star) at your own peril! Man, I miss Wendel!!!
Teams definitely play with more edge against the Leafs because they know there's no chance of retaliation. Nicklas Backstrom elbowed Rielly because he knew he could. Nicklas f***ing Backstrom.

Reactions: Matthews34

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
At what point are you possibly going to entertain the fact that this laziness and lack of motivation could be coaching related?

You should have seen Matthews pre-NHL(and his rookie year). He was absolutely not this lazy player who was allergic to contact back then. This Matthews we see nowadays is a fairly recent phenomena.

Could be coaching related, could be $11mil/year related. EIther way, neither are an excuse. Most people dont like their bosses, yet they work hard, usually for your co-workers and family. If thats the attitude these guys have, they are doomed.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Special Teams?

Why isn't that a cop out?

Which coach? What crew?

The Leafs had the worst special teams in the first round and Bruins had the best (I didn't check the actual stats on this, but I assume its pretty accurate).

If "toughness" was the only reason they lost that round how did they get to 7 games with the team most consider the "toughest" in the league ?

How could special teams be a cop out. They were completely awful, and they are an obvious statistical difference in the series. What proof is there that toughness was the issue ?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Easily. You need many different things to be successful and that's the missing ingredient with this team.
The willingness to do what's necessary to win is missing far too often.
You can't have all dancers, you need some guys to get dirty. PK was a factor for sure, silly to think that's the only reason for the loss.

Do you believe it was a fluke that Boston played St Louis in the Final?

The 2 teams that were playing the best at the end of the season ?

Nope not a surprise, you need to get hot at the right time and they both did.

Were the toughest teams in the league:

2018 - Vegas / Washington
2017 - Pittsburg / Nashville
2016 - Pittsburg / San Jose
2015 Chicago / Tampa

Not a chance those were the toughest teams those seasons. It's very silly to assume you go to the finals "Because your tough".

Your team needs to have compete night in and night out. Those 4th line grinders are not winning championships.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

2015 Chicago / Tampa

Not a chance those were the toughest teams those seasons. It's very silly to assume you go to the finals "Because your tough".

Your team needs to have compete night in and night out. Those 4th line grinders are not winning championships.

You don't need to be the toughest team in the league, that's silly. You need to be a team that has some toughness.
Yes, they were the best teams at the end of the year partly because they didn't lay down for their opponent and excelled at all facets of the game.

If not for the PK, the Leafs would have went all the way? You see them going all the way this year with an improved PK?

The Leafs had the worst special teams in the first round and Bruins had the best (I didn't check the actual stats on this, but I assume its pretty accurate).

If "toughness" was the only reason they lost that round how did they get to 7 games with the team most consider the "toughest" in the league ?

How could special teams be a cop out. They were completely awful, and they are an obvious statistical difference in the series. What proof is there that toughness was the issue ?

You do understand it's not just one thing that makes a Team successful?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Could be coaching related, could be $11mil/year related. EIther way, neither are an excuse. Most people dont like their bosses, yet they work hard, usually for your co-workers and family. If thats the attitude these guys have, they are doomed.
You just need to realize the difference between an effective coaching staff for development versus an ineffective coaching staff for development.

Take a look at the prospect reports on Pastrnak and you'll find out that he shared a ton of similar issues to Nylander. The difference is how the coaching staff treated him. They worked with him on the aspects of his game that needed developing and the more he showed - the more they gave him. They ended up giving him an opportunity on a mega-line with Bergeron and Marchand and told him if he commits himself to a super hard working playstyle, he can remain in that role.

We have a coaching staff who does precisely the opposite of this. Our young players perform great and they aren't rewarded whatsoever with any bonus opportunity.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You just need to realize the difference between an effective coaching staff for development versus an ineffective coaching staff for development.

Take a look at the prospect reports on Pastrnak and you'll find out that he shared a ton of similar issues to Nylander. The difference is how the coaching staff treated him. They worked with him on the aspects of his game that needed developing and the more he showed - the more they gave him. They ended up giving him an opportunity on a mega-line with Bergeron and Marchand and told him if he commits himself to a super hard working playstyle, he can remain in that role.

We have a coaching staff who does precisely the opposite of this. Our young players perform great and they aren't rewarded whatsoever with any bonus opportunity.

Ya, let us all know the next time Nylander does something like this:

Reactions: rumman

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
You don't need to be the toughest team in the league, that's silly. You need to be a team that has some toughness.
Yes, they were the best teams at the end of the year partly because they didn't lay down for their opponent and excelled at all facets of the game.

If not for the PK, the Leafs would have went all the way? You see them going all the way this year with an improved PK?

I never said PK, I said Special Teams, PP was awful too.

Your asking if the Leafs got past Boston, do I think they could have went to the Finals ? Absolutely. Toronto was Boston's hardest opponent to get to the Finals.

If the Leafs compete, like they did in that Boston series and Special Teams aren't a disaster, Yes they could absolutely go to the Finals.

Notice as I have said multiple times, compete level is something the Leafs need to be successful in the playoffs.

You like to take 1 point I made (Special Teams) and put words in my mouth saying that's the only thing that matters.

You do understand it's not just one thing that makes a Team successful?

I never said it was 1 thing. You put those words in my mouth.

When I do the same thing back, it's a problem ?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

2015 Chicago / Tampa

I don't think anybody is saying ALL you need is toughness. I don't think anyone ever has.

Toughness is one attribute the team needs and severely lacks in it

Reactions: ACC1224

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Now we want our players to throw dirty hits ?

No I want our players to be the one's handing out the punishment, not being on the receiving end of it 100% of the time.

Hope you're enjoying watching our stars, rookies, and goalie getting run on a nightly basis though. :thumbu:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Pastrnak obviously put the effort in and his results show. All I see in Nylander is a floater who can't hit the net. Why should he get rewarded for that.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I don't think anybody is saying ALL you need is toughness. I don't think anyone ever has.

Toughness is one attribute the team needs and severely lacks in it

Just trying to prove that "Toughness" is mega overrated on these boards.

Compete level is what matters.

Can you honestly say "toughness" won Boston the series last year ?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The game against Philly I watched Kerfoot get knocked off the puck with relative ease in the corner, while a decent player it would be vastly better if we had a guy like Nick Ritchie in that role, or a dream scenario.. Tom Wilson.

We're going to need some bigger and heavier bodies, I hate to sound like Babcock here but to win a cup you need to be able to play ALL styles of hockey, speedy and skilled along with bruising and heavy.

If anyone has paid attention to the recent cup winners/finalists you'll notice that all of them are capable of playing both styles of hockey. I feel the Leafs are great at playing the speedy and skilled game, but not the bruising and heavy games that teams like the Blues, Bruins, Capitals are capable of playing alongside their speedy and skilled games.

People like to pretend that Pittsburgh, Chicago and Tampa made the SCF with only skill, reality is in the years they made the final they were very much capable of playing bruising and physical hockey when needed, they were multi-dimensional teams.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
No I want our players to be the one's handing out the punishment.

Not being on the receiving end of it 100% of the time.

Hope you're enjoying watching our stars, rookies, and goalie getting run though. :thumbu:

Can agree with not being on the receiving end all the time.

Bad clip though. Dirty hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad