Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Just trying to prove that "Toughness" is mega overrated on these boards.

Compete level is what matters.

Can you honestly say "toughness" won Boston the series last year ?

I think the two things go hand in hand. In order to compete hard every night you have to be tough, physically and mentally. Toughness has nothing to do with fighting by the way, as some people seem to think. But refusing to engage in any physical contact is not the way to build a successful team

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
1 game, for sure. Can't disagree.

The other 6 games?

You'd be hoping that Muzzin is absolutely grilling our star players on a regular basis seeing the Kings team he came from.

Hence why I said I was puzzled that they did not play the same as they did in game #2. Perhaps because Kadri was out or the league warned them ??

Off topic I think the Bruins would welcome another matchup with the Leafs (they know how to win in the playoffs) whereas slaying the dragon would be in the Leafs' heads. Lots can change in 5 months but if they were to meet today, Bruins in 5.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the two things go hand in hand. In order to compete hard every night you have to be tough, physically and mentally. Toughness has nothing to do with fighting by the way, as some people seem to think. But refusing to engage in any physical contact is not the way to build a successful team
This guy gets it. :clap:

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Just trying to prove that "Toughness" is mega overrated on these boards.

Compete level is what matters.

Can you honestly say "toughness" won Boston the series last year ?

Yes. It was definitely part of it. But i may have a different definition of toughness to others.
I personally don't think toughness overrated. Certainly not by the majority of NHL organizations. I do think it is criminally underrated by the Leafs brass though. They'll figure it out as some point though.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
The fact is you have to win two ways in the playoffs. I'm not sure the Leafs are soft. But I am certain they can only win one way.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

The team can play physical (proved it in playoffs). They just need to start playing it game in and game out.

Coaching goes a long way in that (When it's a team wide thing). Players need to be held responsible to an extent as well.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Pastrnak obviously put the effort in and his results show. All I see in Nylander is a floater who can't hit the net. Why should he get rewarded for that.

This. I'm so sick of watching Nylander skate into the offensive zone and do his stupid little pull back manuever because he's too afraid to brace himself for a hit/check.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Hence why I said I was puzzled that they did not play the same as they did in game #2. Perhaps because Kadri was out or the league warned them ??

Off topic I think the Bruins would welcome another matchup with the Leafs (they know how to win in the playoffs) whereas slaying the dragon would be in the Leafs' heads. Lots can change in 5 months but if they were to meet today, Bruins in 5.

Everyone said that last year before game 1 too.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Everyone said that last year before game 1 too.

Everybody ?? Initially most were taking the Bruins but I recall many started giving the Leafs a chance as they got closer to the playoffs. Unfortunately many did not know that Gards and Dermott were playing wounded.

Today the Bruins look much better (the perfection line is lighting it up) while this Leaf team is playing worse. Our D and goal tending and our $40 million quartet have been less than stellar. Something needs to change in the next 5 months or it will be the same old same old.

Reactions: Trapper

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Everybody ?? Initially most were taking the Bruins but I recall many started giving the Leafs a chance as they got closer to the playoffs. Unfortunately many did not know that Gards and Dermott were playing wounded.

Today the Bruins look much better (the perfection line is lighting it up) while this Leaf team is playing worse. Our D and goal tending and our $40 million quartet have been less than stellar. Something needs to change in the next 5 months or it will be the same old same old.

Will be the same old same old doubters going into the playoffs who throw their 180s once the Leafs play well.

I agree they need to play better, but doesn't change the fact that most thought Leafs were going to be beat out easily last season, and they ended up being Boston's toughest competition along their road to the Finals.

This team can be that good, they just need to learn to compete game in and game out. If it's an entire team issue, it comes down to coaching, but as of now both coaches and players deserve some blame.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
They were singing a different tune after 5 games had been played.

The self proclaimed "Realists" are just negative until they have no more legs to stand on.

Again, I agree they need to play better, but the team as constructed today can be a great team. Just need to learn to bring it every night.

They don't need "tough guys", they can all compete when they want to.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Leafs had the worst special teams in the first round and Bruins had the best (I didn't check the actual stats on this, but I assume its pretty accurate).

If "toughness" was the only reason they lost that round how did they get to 7 games with the team most consider the "toughest" in the league ?

How could special teams be a cop out. They were completely awful, and they are an obvious statistical difference in the series. What proof is there that toughness was the issue ?

That's leads us back to Nylander I guess...

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The self proclaimed "Realists" are just negative until they have no more legs to stand on.

Again, I agree they need to play better, but the team as constructed today can be a great team. Just need to learn to bring it every night.

What about the cycle and the pressure on the defense?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

On there's plenty of reason to be negative, playing like crap since the beginning of Jan, team looking listless so far this season, toughness if it was an issue before is more of an issue now with Kadri gone etc.

Sure we're probably better than we've shown so far but how much better isn't clear to me at all. If someone told me that we'd play much better going forward, finish around 7-8th overall and get bounced in the 1st round again, that wouldn't surprise me one bit and no, I wouldn't be satisfied with that at all.

Maybe they can compete when they want to, dunno, But if they can, then why don't they? I'm not sure a winning attitude is something that's easily turned on/off like a light-bulb. I'm not sure players with a winning attitude are even capable of playing in a disinterested fashion for an extended length of time TBH.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
You can probably fix this issue fairly easily and quickly. There is a scarcity league wide when it comes to aggressive players. It's not just a Leafs problem. But, they are still a very soft team. They have the assets to do it, it comes down to Dubas wanting to do it.

As a highly regarded arm-chair GM I see so many deals that could help with this.

Reactions: TML1990

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You can probably fix this issue fairly easily and quickly. There is a scarcity league wide when it comes to aggressive players. It's not just a Leafs problem. But, they are still a very soft team. They have the assets to do it, it comes down to Dubas wanting to do it.

As a highly regarded arm-chair GM I see so many deals that could help with this.

I don't think Dubas is anti-toughness per se. The issue is more if they can play hockey or not. Look how the Ben Harpur experiment failed before the start of regular season. The problem is that those "tough guys" in question (Josh Anderson, Boone Jenner, Ryan O'Reilly, Tom Wilson etc) would cost a premium, and also drive up the price as 29 other tems would be interested in them as well if guys like them ever became available.

Guys like McQuaid, Simmonds, Lucic (obviously) are not the kind of toughness that Dubas is looking for.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't think Dubas is anti-toughness per se. The issue is more if they can play hockey or not. Look how the Ben Harpur experiment failed before the start of regular season. The problem is that those "tough guys" in question (Josh Anderson, Boone Jenner, Ryan O'Reilly, Tom Wilson etc) would cost a premium, and also drive up the price as 29 other tems would be interested in them as well if guys like them ever became available.

Guys like McQuaid, Simmonds, Lucic (obviously) are not the kind of toughness that Dubas is looking for.
We did have a guy like that and he traded him when we needed to add more already. Fans were calling for grit in the summer. Now, we need a few moves to correct the issue. Not just one or two.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
We did have a guy like that and he traded him when we needed to add more already. Fans were calling for grit in the summer. Now, we need a few moves to correct the issue. Not just one or two.

Never liked the Martin trade. He filled a team need and Babcock chose to sit him in the press box instead of letting him do the job that he was brought in for. They were other alternatives to trim cap space without sacrificing our only face puncher who wasn't a liability on the 4th line. As for Kadri, I wouldn't say he is "tough", but more of an agitator. Remember Ovi giving him a sunset flip during the playoffs like it was nothing? :laugh:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I find it ironic that these players are valued by the league and require a premium yet we do not have or "need" any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad