Value of: Soon to be FA, Tony Deangelo

Would you want your team to sign DeAngelo on a 1 year, league mimimum deal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes I know Gio is a LD, DeAngelo would be your best RHD, immediately slide up to the #1 spot and would be the Gio replacement especially offensively. Tanev would stay as your #3 and Andersson belongs on the bottom pairing, I’ve never been impressed with him.
DeAngelo is not a top pairing defenseman, he's a lesser Tyson Barrie

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The fact that we know about his political opinions in the first place prejudices the way we view him both as a player and as a human being. We dont talk about most players political opinions, you cant really take away that context and I wont assume its not partially causal for the way he reacts to people.

We know his political opinions because he never shuts up about them. No one cares what he believes. He crossed the line by constantly bringing it into the locker room, among other stuff like challenging a fan to a fight outside MSG.

We don't talk about other players' political beliefs because, for the most part, we don't know them, because they generally keep that stuff to themselves. DeAngelo's job was to play hockey, not to be a political activist.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yes.
One of the best offensive dmen in the league and plays with more edge than nearly anyone else whose of similar caliber skill-wise. Doesn't take very much research to find out that the incident in junior was him cracking a joke about a fellow White teammate being a soft Euro, even though many politically motivated hacks run with the narrative that he's some racist bully. Or to find out the fact that he's still good friends with practically every POC he's ever played with and interacts with them all the time on social media (Josh Ho-Sang, Justin Bailey, Anthony Duclair, Caleb Jones, Seth Jones, etc). Or to find out he was unanimously voted the funniest guy on the team, that according to anyone in the know: all of his former teammates say they loved playing with him. He was even the guy they chose to replace Stepan as the guy on the Mic for doing their fun locker room videos.

There is a narrative pushed about him on social media by people who with one click of their profile you can very quickly determine what their motivation is. Yea there are a few stories that can make you think he's a loudmouth/dick, but this is professional sports, there are TONS of loud mouths/dicks. And there are athletes who have ton FAR more heinous things than DeAngelo who don't get 1/10th of the vitriol.

BTW if anyone still believed that stealing the puck from K'Andre Miller story: that has been verified as false by every person involved, and K'Andre Miller and DeAngelo were actually texting with each other after this all happened, still follow each other on Instagram and like each others pictures as well. DeAngelo was one of the first & only players to stand up for Miller after the Zoom incident. As soon as Miller scored his first NHL Goal, DeAngelo immediately skated to the net to grab it. It was as if he wanted to do that for him specifically to show him that reputation he had isn't true and that he's got his back. Unfortunately a nice gesture got turned into a BS narrative by a political hack by the name of Adam Herman.
All the hockey people around him are wrong and you are right, got it.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well of course.......that's why I said IMO and how this is a fan forum. OP asked for opinions, that's what I gave based on knowing the franchise, knowing the owner views, the carefully constructed teams image around human rights, its actions in the past, actions it still takes around human rights and the politics of the team's core........Ill say again IMO based on those factors Jets wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole if he was free. He would be a PR nightmare and an issue in the locker room.......IMO based on all my points above, following the Jets 1.0 & 2.0 since both were born and living in the city/province for 50+ years & knowing its political views & consertive nature. But by all means, you believe whatever you like.

I’m not believing anything.

I’m just simply stating facts. I’m not saying he’s signing with the Jets either. All I’m saying is that I see a ton of these “we would never sign him” type posts.

There’s going to be a team that takes a risk on him. There were multiple teams with reported interest in him during the season after the incident happened, which is again, a fact. Hockey is a business and each team’s FO has a responsibility to ice the best possible team to help them win, which is also a fact. DeAngelo, despite his warts and he has many, is still a very talented hockey player and can help many teams. Also a fact.

This is nothing but fun for me, because I can sit back and enjoy that chaos that will be virtue signaling fans flipping out over their team signing him and then seeing their reactions change slightly when he starts helping their team win.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Let's be honest though, DeAngelo will need to play ball if he's picked up. He's going to have to curb some tendencies and personality traits as hard as that might be to do. It's like that episode of The Office where Michael Scott couldn't resist saying "That's what she said." Maybe DeAngelo can't resist being a Jersey Shore cutout?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Take out his political views for a second. He's the kind of guy that's going to shit talk teammates for making mistakes and then will fight them after games. He's the kind of guy that gets suspended for using slurs against his own teammates. He's the kind of guy who talks shit on his team using burner accounts when things aren't going his way.

His political views are irrelevant to him being a generally repulsive person overall, from everything we know about him.

Which I addressed in the first part of my post. He's a good d man, if I think my team has the locker room to handle him I'd go for it. Worst case he misbehaves and gets waived

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure some team will scoop him up with a $1m/1yr sort of deal. He'll rebuild his brand, put up great numbers, and then earn an extension and be lauded as a steal by those fans.

Then he'll start a fight with two teammates in the first year of his new deal because he can't separate his personal life from his professional one.

Had really high hopes for him when he came to NY. Only thing that tops his talent is his mouth, which unfortunately is likely going to sink his career unless he can learn to shut it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get why this poll is lopsided in favor of NOT signing him.

I just think that folks at this young an age (not an excuse) have the ability to understand that he's potentially going to miss out on what could be a long and successful career playing the game he loves.

And a team that takes a chance on him with good established leadership in the room (extremely lacking in NYR) and a commitment to working with ADA on his issues could stand to benefit a great deal from the acquisition.

Its a lot of work, but the payoff could be worth it.

Hes a pretty special player offensively.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
DeAngelo is not a top pairing defenseman, he's a lesser Tyson Barrie
DeAngelo is better than Barrie offensively, defensively, and physically. DeAngelo last year, in his second full year was better than Barrie ever was and his stats back it up

I see you’re a Flames fan; DeAngelo put up 5 less points than Gaudreau last year in 2 less games, while also only having 3 less goals, and would’ve finished 3rd on your team in scoring. And Gaudreau isn’t someone like Stone or Couturier whose stats are hindered by their commitment to defense, no, Calgary’s offense revolves around Gaudreau and his only role is offense

This is all while having very strong 5v5 stats and on a team with offense comparable to the Leafs last year where Barrie struggled to score, and while playing with Marc Staal at 5v5. DeAngelo in the same role as Barrie this year would’ve absolutely put up more points playing with McDavid and Draisaitl on PP1

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchnevich89

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Not my point. He had a problem with the attitude of a guy who donated 10M to a children's hospital but reportedly was interested in that ****stain at trade deadline.
Subban is a player I wouldn’t stand on my team he screams bag licker to me I hate teammates who suck up to coaches and always want the spotlight. DeAngelo doesn’t seem to bad in that sense. I have a feeling a lot of guys liked DeAngelo probably a crazy partier and would stick up for the boys at the night club but Subban just seems like a very superficial and unlikable person. That’s how I view it.

Reactions: Lays

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
He wasn't in conflicts about race and politics and he had no conflict with Miller. That was all proven to be false and the org was disappointed that Miller's race got dragged into it for no good reason.

All we know is that for whatever reason he and Georgiev didn't get along, he said some dickish thing to Georgiev after a loss and Georgiev decked him.

I'm pretty sure teammates that end up hating each other is fairly common, especially on losing teams. Buying a guy out for it is rare. I don't think anyone can really answer whether they would take him on their team without understanding why the org bought him out when the publicly available conflicts were relatively mild. There's got to be more to the story that we don't know because otherwise every team in the league would be in on him and he'd be tradeable.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
DeAngelo’s status as a pariah has nothing to do with his political views and everything to do with him having been known as an enormous asshole for going on 10 years now.

He just does not seem like he’s able to function as an adult in a professional environment. He’d get a contract if he was Chris Pronger on the ice, but he ain’t, so teams won’t put up with the headache.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad